Eclipse of moon on Oct. 27

Old October 18th 04, 12:49 AM
Crownfield

Prometheus wrote:

In article OwCcd.265533$D%.83619@attbi_s51, William Graham
writes
"Prometheus" wrote in message
In article , Lassi Hippeläinen
writes
Prometheus wrote:
I wonder if there are any nuclear bomb pumped lasers left over
from the star wars project.

Even if there were, you would have to remote them quite a ways from your
camera.........

Ah, yes. The neutron flux could overload the sensor, and as for what the
NEMP would do to the non-hardened electronics...

and as for the photographer...

--
Ian G8ILZ

Old October 18th 04, 12:58 AM
Crownfield

William Graham wrote:

"Michael A. Covington" wrote in message
*chuckle* People actually *have* asked me about flash for photographing

an
eclipse!

Well, I read somewhere that the military had a flash that could be used for
taking satellite pictures of the ground at night, but I assumed that it
could only light up small areas, and not the whole earth........

Berkey marketing sold an ascor QC800.
very impressive.

in came on several carts, one for the power supply, the others for
capacitors. Constant current charging from 220 volts.

fully configured, it allowed flash photography from an aircraft at 1,000
feet, using asa 100 film. obviously, the guide number was well above
1,000.

Old October 18th 04, 01:19 AM
C J Donoghue

Alan Browne wrote:

William Graham wrote:

Unless you've got a flash with a guide number of 250 thousand miles........

That would require an f/1 lens for ISO 100. If the lens is f/4 then a GN of
1,000,000 miles would be required...

Uhh, why flash the moon to capture an eclipse? The whole point about
photographing an eclipse is that the moon is *dark*. Reminds me of the tale
about RCA's release of their first television receiver ... the media photogs
lined up with their 5x4 Graflexes or whatever, and duly, one by one, popped off
their flashguns, obliterating the picture displayed on the screen ...

Colin.

Old October 18th 04, 01:21 AM
Bandicoot

"Michael A. Covington" wrote in message
*chuckle* People actually *have* asked me about flash for photographing

an
eclipse!

Well, you would have to use a slower sync. speed, to allow for the light to
get there and back...

;-)

Peter

Old October 18th 04, 01:25 AM
Bandicoot

Prometheus wrote:
I wonder if there are any nuclear bomb pumped lasers left over
from the star wars project.

Even if there were, you would have to remote them quite a ways from

your
camera.........

Ah, yes. The neutron flux could overload the sensor, and as for what the
NEMP would do to the non-hardened electronics...

and as for the photographer...

Naah, just stick it on the other side of the Earth, so long as it has a
clear view of the moon, and fire it with a Pocket Wizard. The slight lack
of illumination on one rim due to the offset isn't a big deal, and you could
always use a reflector for some bounce fill.

Peter