Eclipse of moon on Oct. 27

Old October 17th 04, 11:33 PM
William Graham

"Michael A. Covington" wrote in message
*chuckle* People actually *have* asked me about flash for photographing

an
eclipse!

Well, I read somewhere that the military had a flash that could be used for
taking satellite pictures of the ground at night, but I assumed that it
could only light up small areas, and not the whole earth........

Old October 17th 04, 11:39 PM
William Graham

"Prometheus" wrote in message
In article , Lassi Hippeläinen
writes
Prometheus wrote:
In article , Alan Browne
writes

William Graham wrote:

Unless you've got a flash with a guide number of 250 thousand
miles........

That would require an f/1 lens for ISO 100. If the lens is f/4 then
a GN of 1,000,000 miles would be required...
Don't forget the flash would have to fire about 2.69s before the
shutter is fully open.

And don't use times shorter than 1/60, or you won't capture the light
returning from the edges. (That might look interesting, though...)

Now that leads to an interesting idea, use a shorter shutter time with
the flash to shutter delay adjusted so that you do not capture the
centre. I wonder if there are any nuclear bomb pumped lasers left over
from the star wars project.

Even if there were, you would have to remote them quite a ways from your
camera.........

Old October 17th 04, 11:39 PM
William Graham

"Prometheus" wrote in message
In article , Lassi Hippeläinen
writes
Prometheus wrote:
In article , Alan Browne
writes

Old October 17th 04, 11:45 PM
Brad Templeton

In article , b4 wrote:
2000mm lens (or Meade LX10 in my case) is too long on a 10D as the moon
image is larger than the sensor, but OK on a 35mm.

"Gordon Zola" wrote in message
.. .
There is a full eclipse of the moon coming up this month, and you will
be able to view it well from North America. It starts at 9:14 PM and
ends at 12:54 AM, with the period of totality between 10:23 and 11:45,
all eastern times.

Better catch it now, because the next one is in 2007.

To get a good picture, use a long lens (2000mm if you have one, for a
digital or 35mm camera). Turn off the autoexposure (and the flash

The truth is shooting an eclipse of the moon with a lens like that is
fine if you want to practice a bit, but you will shoot the moon
without context and get a shot like 1000 other people are taking unless
you have very good equipment.

Far more interesting to do a context shot. To do that, calculate where
the moon will be exactly from any typical PC planetarium program,
getting altitude and azumith.

Then, using your basic trig, figure out some interesting foreground
for the moon you would like -- a tall building, a mountain, an artwork.

Then get a reasonably long lens (perhaps 500mm to 800mm) and shoot both
the object and the moon, either in shilouette, or if the object is lit
similarly to the moon, together.

Or consider other unusual shots. For example, I did a panorama of a
NASA lab with the moon:

http://pic.templetons.com/cgi-bin/im...es-eclipse.jpg

Which captures cool buildings, lights, people watching the eclipse,
and the moon. Try for something in this direction.
--
How to fix the DNS system and break up ICANN
http://www.templetons.com/brad/dns/
Old October 17th 04, 11:56 PM
Frank ess

"Brad Templeton" wrote in message
In article , b4
wrote:
2000mm lens (or Meade LX10 in my case) is too long on a 10D as the
moon
image is larger than the sensor, but OK on a 35mm.

snippage has occurred

[...]

I have neither the skill nor the patience to make a work like that. I
appreciate your doing it so I can see an exciting, strangely serene
view. Thank you for the opportunity.

--
Frank ess

Old October 18th 04, 12:00 AM
Prometheus

In article OwCcd.265533$D%.83619@attbi_s51, William Graham
writes
Prometheus wrote:

I wonder if there are any nuclear bomb pumped lasers left over
from the star wars project.

Even if there were, you would have to remote them quite a ways from your
camera.........

Ah, yes. The neutron flux could overload the sensor, and as for what the
NEMP would do to the non-hardened electronics...

--
Ian G8ILZ

Old October 18th 04, 12:49 AM
Crownfield

Prometheus wrote:
I wonder if there are any nuclear bomb pumped lasers left over
from the star wars project.

Even if there were, you would have to remote them quite a ways from your
camera.........

Ah, yes. The neutron flux could overload the sensor, and as for what the
NEMP would do to the non-hardened electronics...

and as for the photographer...

--
Ian G8ILZ