Nikon announces new flagship **FILM** SLR – the F6!

Old September 16th 04, 10:35 AM
Brian C. Baird

They're bonkers.

But they did announce the D2X. Finally made the switch to CMOS - with
12.4 megapixels I don't think the CCD would cut it in terms of noise.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
Old September 16th 04, 11:20 AM
none

Now that the new F6 is out, would the F100 be no more? Or would there be
no more direct successor to the F100 (esp. given the F6's design)?

Also, would official support for another previous generation of F-series
cameras (esp. the F4-series) be discontinued (given Nikon's 10-year
spare parts policy)?

Old September 16th 04, 11:34 AM
David Edwards

The specs seem to imply that it comes with a "data back" as standard.

------
David Edwards
nitehawk01 at verizon dot net

"William Graham" wrote in message

"Peter Lawrence" wrote in message
om...
Here's the link to Nikon's press release:

http://nikonimaging.com/global/news/2004/0916_02.htm

- Peter

The specs seem almost identical to the F5......I really don't see anything
that warrants a new model.....Perhaps quieter, and perhaps better flash
control, but an F6?

Old September 16th 04, 02:16 PM
Stephen H. Westin

Brian C. Baird writes:

They're bonkers.

But they did announce the D2X. Finally made the switch to CMOS - with
12.4 megapixels I don't think the CCD would cut it in terms of noise.

No, I suspect the limitation is readout speed. Though the reason you
can't just keep increasing the clock speed on a CCD is the noise
increase.

I wonder if the F6 was derived from the D2 series. More probably, they
were developed together, and the degree to which they share technology
made it economical to do two cameras rather than just one.

--
-Stephen H. Westin

Old September 16th 04, 02:17 PM
Stephen H. Westin

(Peter Lawrence) writes:

Here's the link to Nikon's press release:

http://nikonimaging.com/global/news/2004/0916_02.htm

- Peter

Hmm. The prism is now permanently mounted, so they lost at least one
F5 feature. I suspect that the improvements in size, weight,
alignment, and dust sealing were just too tempting...

--
-Stephen H. Westin

Old September 16th 04, 04:00 PM
Matt Clara

"none" wrote in message
Now that the new F6 is out, would the F100 be no more? Or would there be
no more direct successor to the F100 (esp. given the F6's design)?

Also, would official support for another previous generation of F-series
cameras (esp. the F4-series) be discontinued (given Nikon's 10-year
spare parts policy)?

I suspect not--the F100 will continue to sell for ~$900, and the new F6 for
$2000, with the F5 being discontinued.

I don't believe there is a discontinuance of "official" support for Nikon
cameras, other than the spare parts policy you cite. For instance, Nikon
USA will service my Nikon F, but only if they can bring it up to 100%
factory specs. Which is to say, if it needs new parts, they won't work on
it, because there aren't any, and therefore they would be unable to bring it
up to 100% factory specs.
This I know from experience.

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com