Air Quality Today

Old August 23rd 16, 11:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Air Quality Today

The "Chimney Fire" has grown to 37,101 acres and is burning around the
North-West end of Lake Nacimiento to threaten the North Shore
communities. The smoke in the area has become oppressive and local
visibility has dropped considerably. We now have 3,983 fire presonnel
from 107 fire crews fighting out here with 326 fire engines. So far 52
structures have been destroyed. These shots should give some idea of
our current air quality due to the smoke in my neighborhood.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/84et3segb068nz3/AABF0u4b449o45tJiRsENQy_a?dl=0

Savageduck

Old August 24th 16, 12:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joe Makowiec

On 23 Aug 2016 in rec.photo.digital, Savageduck wrote:

The "Chimney Fire" has grown to 37,101 acres and is burning around
the North-West end of Lake Nacimiento to threaten the North Shore
communities. The smoke in the area has become oppressive and local
visibility has dropped considerably. We now have 3,983 fire
presonnel from 107 fire crews fighting out here with 326 fire
engines. So far 52 structures have been destroyed. These shots
should give some idea of our current air quality due to the smoke in
my neighborhood.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/84et3segb...o45tJiRsENQy_a
?dl=0

Ouch. I hope you and your little hummingbird friends are all right.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/
Old August 24th 16, 12:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-08-23 23:00:10 +0000, Joe Makowiec said:

On 23 Aug 2016 in rec.photo.digital, Savageduck wrote:

The "Chimney Fire" has grown to 37,101 acres and is burning around
the North-West end of Lake Nacimiento to threaten the North Shore
communities. The smoke in the area has become oppressive and local
visibility has dropped considerably. We now have 3,983 fire
presonnel from 107 fire crews fighting out here with 326 fire
engines. So far 52 structures have been destroyed. These shots
should give some idea of our current air quality due to the smoke in
my neighborhood.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/84et3segb...o45tJiRsENQy_a
?dl=0

Ouch. I hope you and your little hummingbird friends are all right.

Thanks!
The Hummingbirds are doing just fine, and are feeding frantically all
day. I think that with this all day twilight they are being fooled into
thinking they have to get a last feed in before dark. So the Hummer
activity is actually heavier than normal.

Savageduck

Old August 24th 16, 12:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

On 8/23/16 PDT 4:00 PM, Joe Makowiec wrote:
On 23 Aug 2016 in rec.photo.digital, Savageduck wrote:

The "Chimney Fire" has grown to 37,101 acres and is burning around
the North-West end of Lake Nacimiento to threaten the North Shore
communities. The smoke in the area has become oppressive and local
visibility has dropped considerably. We now have 3,983 fire
presonnel from 107 fire crews fighting out here with 326 fire
engines. So far 52 structures have been destroyed. These shots
should give some idea of our current air quality due to the smoke in
my neighborhood.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/84et3segb...o45tJiRsENQy_a
?dl=0

Ouch. I hope you and your little hummingbird friends are all right.

The air quality is palpably bad, just from your photos.

Hang in there, or get on a plane and fly to somewhere cool and healthy!

Best of luck.

John
Old August 24th 16, 02:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-08-24 01:14:34 +0000, RichA said:

On Tuesday, 23 August 2016 18:48:05 UTC-4, Savageduck wrote:
The "Chimney Fire" has grown to 37,101 acres and is burning around the
North-West end of Lake Nacimiento to threaten the North Shore
communities. The smoke in the area has become oppressive and local
visibility has dropped considerably. We now have 3,983 fire presonnel
from 107 fire crews fighting out here with 326 fire engines. So far 52
structures have been destroyed. These shots should give some idea of
our current air quality due to the smoke in my neighborhood.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/84et3segb068nz3/AABF0u4b449o45tJiRsENQy_a?dl=0

Savageduck

Take all able-bodied people living in LA today who aren't working, put
them to work cutting fire-brakes.

We have almost 4,000 firefighters working this fire 24/7.
Last night:
Cqi-mqoUMAApjKy.jpg

Some of the work in progress.
https://youtu.be/D-fBdcLX8uU

....and our little Apocalypse Now moment in the "Narrows at the Wester
end of the lake.
https://youtu.be/xMbe-M350oI

Savageduck

Old August 24th 16, 04:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Tuesday, 23 August 2016 21:32:28 UTC-4, Savageduck wrote:
On 2016-08-24 01:14:34 +0000, RichA said:

[...]

4000 Firefighters at $29/hr, plus overtime = $1.5 million a day.

Add in air attack ground crew, fixed wing pilots, helicopter pilots,
fixed wing ops controllers, helicopter ops controllers, bulldozer and
other heavy equipment operators, fuel for, fire engines, water tenders,
and chainsaws, accommodation for off duty crews, and catering costs for
crews, and the cost to date as of 07:30 hours this morning is $32.3Mil
and climbing.

Not included is the costs to Red Cross for managing the housing and
feeding of about 1,000 evacuees.

Savageduck

Old August 24th 16, 01:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 8/23/2016 6:47 PM, Savageduck wrote:
The "Chimney Fire" has grown to 37,101 acres and is burning around the
North-West end of Lake Nacimiento to threaten the North Shore
communities. The smoke in the area has become oppressive and local
visibility has dropped considerably. We now have 3,983 fire presonnel
from 107 fire crews fighting out here with 326 fire engines. So far 52
structures have been destroyed. These shots should give some idea of our
current air quality due to the smoke in my neighborhood.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/84et3segb068nz3/AABF0u4b449o45tJiRsENQy_a?dl=0

Not a good thing. Have you thought about a temporary move, to protect
your lungs?

--
PeterN
Old August 24th 16, 02:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-08-24 12:55:07 +0000, PeterN said:

On 8/23/2016 6:47 PM, Savageduck wrote:
The "Chimney Fire" has grown to 37,101 acres and is burning around the
North-West end of Lake Nacimiento to threaten the North Shore
communities. The smoke in the area has become oppressive and local
visibility has dropped considerably. We now have 3,983 fire presonnel
from 107 fire crews fighting out here with 326 fire engines. So far 52
structures have been destroyed. These shots should give some idea of our
current air quality due to the smoke in my neighborhood.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/84et3segb068nz3/AABF0u4b449o45tJiRsENQy_a?dl=0

Not a good thing. Have you thought about a temporary move, to protect
your lungs?

Not yet.

So far my AC has managed to keep things healthy inside the house, but
if I step outside the smell and smoke haze is oppressive. For now the
only reason I have had for going outdoors is to service the Hummingbird
feeders, check the mail box, went shopping on Monday to resupply, and
to take those shots yesterday.

Once this is settled I can see that I am going to have to replace the
house AC filter and the micro-particle filter in my E350.

Savageduck

Old August 24th 16, 02:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2016-08-24 12:55:07 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

Would you really need to refilter the Merc if you just took two short rides?
--
teleportation kills

Old August 24th 16, 02:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-08-24 12:55:07 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

Probably not.

Savageduck