Nikon D5100 questions.

Old August 25th 12, 12:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ric Trexell

Default Nikon D5100 questions.

I posted this in the Nikon group but that ng is pretty dead, so I reposting
it here.

I recently bought a D5100 hoping to do some stock photography. I'm finding
the Cd instruction book to be not all that helpful. I have a few questions.
1. Can the display on the LCD viewer be made to last more than a few
seconds? I seem to hunt for what I want and about the time I find it and
start figuring what setting I want, the thing goes dark. 2. On manual,
when I look in the viewfinder (not the LCD display) it goes from little
numbers to bigger ones I think and says 'Lo" or something like that. I
really don't know what I'm asking here because I have only seen it a few
times and can't remember exactly. 3. I bought a set of umbrellas and
strobes (Promaster) and I would like to know if I can use them with the 5100
without blowing out the cameras electronics. Do I have to get one of those
Wein converters or whatever they are called. I can just use the built in
flash on the camera and the lights as slaves without any connection to the
camera. 4. Do you know of a good site online to get info on the Nikon's? I
have found www.imagining-resourse.com to be good. Also Ken Rockwells site
somewhat. 5. Do you know of a good book for the 5100? My camera store has
one and I noticed a lot of them on Amazon. I was just wondering if there is
someone out there that has bought a few books and likes one best. Thanks
for your help. Ric.

Old August 25th 12, 02:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
me[_5_]

http://www.bythom.com/

Old August 25th 12, 02:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chemiker

wrote:

[...]

For a Nikon forum group, take a look at nikonians.org.

Yes, you can use your on-cam flash to initiate other units by light
sensor triggers, which are cheap. If you go that route, you should get
the Nikon flash-muting screen (I forget what they call it, but it sits
on top of the camera and filters out visible from the on-cam flash but
allows IR to pass through, and this triggers your other flash units)
to eliminate the extra on-cam flat lighting.

Otherwise, you can go with an on-cam wireless xmtr and remote
receivers on your other flash units. eBay usually has a Chinese setuo
Old August 25th 12, 02:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chemiker

On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 08:36:36 -0500, Chemiker
wrote:

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 18:47:41 -0500, "Ric Trexell"
wrote:

RATS! Hit send too early. Continued below
For a Nikon forum group, take a look at nikonians.org.

Yes, you can use your on-cam flash to initiate other units by light
sensor triggers, which are cheap. If you go that route, you should get
the Nikon flash-muting screen (I forget what they call it, but it sits
on top of the camera and filters out visible from the on-cam flash but
allows IR to pass through, and this triggers your other flash units)
to eliminate the extra on-cam flat lighting.

Otherwise, you can go with an on-cam wireless xmtr and remote
receivers on your other flash units. eBay usually has a Chinese setuo

setup under the name PT-04 (which set I own) and another labelled
RF-602 (which I do not have any experience with). The PT-04 is cheap
enough and has served me well in studio work. I bought 2, because the
first one had a defective xmtr and it was easier to just buy a second
set rather than go through the rigamarole of asking for a replacement.
Now I have a xmtr and 7 receivers.

Oh, and that Nikon flash filter is part # SG-3IR.

HTH

Alex
Old August 25th 12, 05:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

http://www.nikoncafe.com

--
Peter
Old August 26th 12, 01:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

[...]

See http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...D5100FLASH.HTM for
more information about the D5100 flash capabilities.

Old September 17th 12, 05:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-09-16 20:46:06 -0700, nospam said:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

: I downloaded the D7000 manuals from the Nikon site in both English and
: French recently. No requirement for a serial number or any other proof of
: ownership.

And they were printable? (Not all downloaded PDF's are.)

why would you want to print it? it's far more useful in electronic form.

You might need it in the field.

you're going to carry all that paper? especially unbounded?

if you need a reference in the field, put the pdf on a smartphone or
tablet.

I keep all my manuals as PDFs on both my iPhone & iPad. They are kept
in the iBooks book case, easily accessible, important, & frequently
referenced sections can be book marked.
Works much better than the paper manual, and I can print, email,
message or text, individual sections or pages.

better yet, get one of the many dedicated apps that go much further
than the manual does.

Savageduck

Old September 17th 12, 04:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-09-17 07:23:12 -0700, tony cooper said:

On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 21:12:23 -0700, Savageduck

On 2012-09-16 20:46:06 -0700, nospam said:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

Y'all do understand that not everyone who owns a camera also owns a
smart phone, an iPad, or any kind of device that conveniently stores a
manual and retrieves it in the field?

Yes. However, it is an option for those who own such devices, and I can
think of at least five regular contributors to the photo news groups
who own and use 4 iPhones and one Android phone.

When I bought my in-car compact camera, I printed out part of the
manual - on paper - and keep it in the car. The settings are not
intuitive, so I need the manual until I get used to the camera.

My D300S, and I am sure your D60 came with a compact and convenient, 64
page "Quick Guide" booklet, which resides in my bag. However, I also
have the full manual as a very accessible PDF in my iPhone, which I
usually have with me.

I see no reason to buy more devices to avoid printing out a few pages
of paper.

I did not buy a smart phone to avoid printing out a few pages. I bought
it as a phone with additional capabilities I find useful. It also gives
me access to DropBox, PogoPlug, GDrive, GPS, various map apps, National
Parks Maps & Guides, two very good & comprehensive birder's field
guides, and more

Savageduck

Old September 17th 12, 06:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-09-16 20:46:06 -0700, nospam said:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

The compact camera manual is 150 pages. I have a link to it on my
desktop. I'd have to go out to the car to count how many of those
pages I printed, but I think it was 6 to 8.

I've had the camera for a few weeks now, but haven't used it much.
Even so, I need to look at those 6 to 8 pages of manual far less
frequently.

Most of the contents of any manual is stuff that pertains to any
digital camera and a lot of boilerplate. I don't need the manual to
know how to remove the battery or the SD card or do any of the routine
functions involved with a camera.

Why you'd need the full manual on your phone is beyond me, but if it
works for you...go for it.

I could link to the full manual, or download it to, my laptop and take
it with me when I go out. I don't see any point to doing so, however.
The 6 to 8 pages cover everything I might need that is different from
any camera.

This discussion is a little silly. If truth be told, I pretty much go
through my manuals of new purchases within one or two days of getting
the box unpacked. Then after establishing familiarity with the features
and operation through use, what I need for normal operation is
intuitive. It is rare that I refer to the manual, and then it is
usually some esoteric feature I don't use that much, and I need a
reminder.

I have the manuals in my iPhone, because I can, not because I need to
refer to them constantly.

Savageduck

Old September 20th 12, 06:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

Alan Browne writes:

On 2012.09.19 17:58 , David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

And because they have no flow-rate control. And are wasteful because
you have to run the cold water also while running the hot until it's
hot.

eh? Just run it at max hot and then adjust when the hot water
arrives. Move shower lever.

I'm afraid to. Too often, it's already in shower mode, so I have to be
very careful what I first do.

And that doesn't address the flow-rate control issue.
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info