Anyone still shoot film?

Old January 25th 10, 06:01 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Patrick L[_7_]

Default Anyone still shoot film?

I've got four dSLRs, but I miss shooting film, so come Christmas, my mom
wanted me to take pictures so I dusted off my old ElanII, 28-105 lens, and
bought a roll of Kodak Gold ( nothin' particularly fancy about this rig )
with a 580ex flash took some snaps and had the pictures developed at a local
drugstore. The shots were beautiful, or at least I thought so and so did my
family. The "white balance" ( as we now call it in the digital world ) was
stunning. I couldn't get 50 bucks for that camera now ( minus the lens and
flash, of course), so no point in selling it. In fact, I bought it at a
flea market for 10 bucks.

I picked up an old Polaroid Land 250 and a bulb flash unit for a song, and
I can still get batteries and film ( fuji ) for it, so I'm looking to have
some fun with it. I found a guy that sells bulbs for it, but, I was a
little boy the last time they used them, and these bulbs have been sitting
in a warehouse for a long time. Expensive 'cuz they no longer make them.
I'm doing some math, and I think each shot, with flash, is going to cost
about 4 bucks. Sheesh -- better get it right the first time !!

Patrick

Old January 25th 10, 09:18 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Jeff R.[_3_]

"Annika1980" wrote in message

FILM SUX !
DIGITAL RULES !!!

Do you mind, Bret?

"RULZ" please.

Get it right, son.

--
Jeff R.

Old January 25th 10, 03:47 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
rwalker

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 21:01:22 -0800, "Patrick L"
wrote:

[...]

I've got an old Kodak Brownie from the early 50s that I still shoot
with sometimes. I have a small supply of flash bulbs for it, but I
don't use them often because they're getting very hard to find. I do
still shoot a fair amount of film, almost never 35 mm. though. I slit
film and reload 110 cassettes for a Pentax Auto110, and shoot 120 film
in a Pentax 67 and a Yashica D, as well as the Brownie (rerolled 120
film on Brownie spools). It's a nice change of pace.

Old January 25th 10, 05:56 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
tcroyer

wrote:

[...]

I have a Leica Z2X that I put a lot of film through (bought used on eBay
because I always wanted a Leica and it's the only one I could afford -- It
was actually made in Singapore, but it has a legit Leica logo on it and it
takes beautiful pictures).

I also have a Yashica Electro 35 that I use when I need a hot shoe accessory
and can make use of the fairly wide angle lens.

Old January 25th 10, 06:45 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-01-25 08:56:28 -0800, "tcroyer" said:

I also have a Yashica Electro 35 that I use when I need a hot shoe accessory
and can make use of the fairly wide angle lens.

It is good to know there is somebody else who still owns and uses an
Electro 35. I got mine in 1969, and have always been amazed at its
performance.
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechut...Electro35G.jpg

Savageduck

Old January 25th 10, 07:16 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 09:45:36 -0800, Savageduck
On 2010-01-25 08:56:28 -0800, "tcroyer" said:

I also have a Yashica Electro 35 that I use when I need a hot shoe accessory
and can make use of the fairly wide angle lens.

It is good to know there is somebody else who still owns and uses an
Electro 35. I got mine in 1969, and have always been amazed at its
performance.
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechut...Electro35G.jpg

There are still many happy users of the Electro 35 GS/GT. I regret
selling my GSN. I replaced it with a Canon GIII QL which had a better
lens (nicer bokeh) but wasn't as versatile. The very long exposure
capability of the Electro 35 was a remarkable achievement.

Which batteries do you use in yours?

I got the L544 adapter from http://www.yashica-guy.com which I use in
combination with a 4L44.

Savageduck

Old January 25th 10, 11:43 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 10-01-25 0:01 , Patrick L wrote:
[...]

I shot 2 rolls of 120 and 0 rolls of 135 in 2009.
Old January 25th 10, 11:58 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Patrick L wrote:
[...]

I shot one roll recently for the first time in a decade. Photo CD at
walgreens with kodak gold 200 was pretty crummy looking. Can anyone
recommend a mail-in service with good scans? There are stores here where
I could no doubt get it done but assuming that'd be expensive. Maybe I
should try some really nice b&w film, like something that can do stuff
digital can't with dynamic range or resolution. I really don't want to
get a film scanner or get into it too heavily.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old January 26th 10, 12:46 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
K W Hart

"Patrick L" wrote in message
news
[...]

I am 100% committed to film. I buy film in 25 or 50 roll packs, and color
printing paper in rolls of (about) 200 or 600 feet, depending on the width.
I have a well-equipted color darkroom, capable of printing up to 20" wide
prints.

As for your results at the local drugstore, I think you got lucky! Many
times, the person running the machine at the one-hour photo place (whether
it's CVS, Walgreens, WalMart, etc), is a part-timer, who last week was
working the checkout register. If you find a one-hour store with very low
employee turnover, and a processing machine that gets regular factory
maintenance, stick with them!
(The automated one-hour machines want to see a certain mixture of colors and
densitites. I suspect your holiday snaps probably were within the normal
limits. If you had taken a picture of a black cat in the middle of a
snow-covered field on a sunny day, or a yellow pear in front of a red barn,
your results would probably have been less than stellar.)

I've worked with digital photographers, and at the end of the day, the
digital shooter might have shot ten times the number of frames as I did on
film, but the total number of "keepers" is nearly the same. If people 'grow
up' on film shooting, they are used to making sure the shot is going to be
good before tripping the shutter. A digital shooter can just keep firing,
hoping that one of the frames will be good.

Old January 26th 10, 01:14 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

Annika1980 wrote,on my timestamp of 25/01/2010 5:46 PM:
On Jan 25, 1:13 am, Noons wrote:
On Jan 25, 4:01 pm, "Patrick L" wrote:

I've got four dSLRs, but I miss shooting film, so come Christmas, my mom
wanted me to take pictures so I dusted off my old ElanII, 28-105 lens, and
bought a roll of Kodak Gold ( nothin' particularly fancy about this rig )
with a 580ex flash took some snaps and had the pictures developed at a local
drugstore. The shots were beautiful, or at least I thought so and so did my
family. The "white balance" ( as we now call it in the digital world ) was
stunning. I couldn't get 50 bucks for that camera now ( minus the lens and
flash, of course), so no point in selling it. In fact, I bought it at a
flea market for 10 bucks.

Go to apug.org and meet a large crowd still happily shooting film.
Or go to one of the many cimmunities in flickr doing the same.
And a lot of other places.

FILM SUX !
DIGITAL RULES !!!

Why do dogs lick their balls?