Report: Film still available

Old February 17th 09, 07:14 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Nebenzahl

Default Report: Film still available

This report is likely to only be of interest to those still shooting
film (i.e., what this newsgroup is *supposed* to be about).

Being out of slow-speed color print film, went to Target[1] yesterday
with hopes that they'd still have film. In the (digital) photo dep't, I
was about to give up and was thinking of the futility of asking someone
there if they had something so antiquated, when I found a corner of a
shelf with film cameras (disposables) and film. So they still have it,
at least for the moment. Got two packs of Fuji 200 speed film, the stuff
I've been shooting for years. 4 rolls for $6.50.

Disclaimer: Yeah, I know it's not professional film. B&H, et al, have
the "real" stuff (as well as some local camera stores). But it's nice to
know that you can still pick up film inexpensively at a local retailer.

[1] For those not in the U.S., Target (sometimes pronounced "tar-Zhay"
for mock Frenchification) is a large retailer similar to K-Mart, with
brand-name stuff.

--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won't use it. I like it
upgrades. As long as there is hardware and software out there that

- lifted from sci.electronics.repair
Old February 17th 09, 08:02 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pete D

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
This report is likely to only be of interest to those still shooting film
(i.e., what this newsgroup is *supposed* to be about).

Being out of slow-speed color print film, went to Target[1] yesterday with
hopes that they'd still have film. In the (digital) photo dep't, I was
about to give up and was thinking of the futility of asking someone there
if they had something so antiquated, when I found a corner of a shelf with
film cameras (disposables) and film. So they still have it, at least for
the moment. Got two packs of Fuji 200 speed film, the stuff I've been
shooting for years. 4 rolls for $6.50.

Disclaimer: Yeah, I know it's not professional film. B&H, et al, have the
"real" stuff (as well as some local camera stores). But it's nice to know
that you can still pick up film inexpensively at a local retailer.

Truly amazing David, finally an on topic post. Thanks but we all new this
anyway.

Actually loaded up some ISO 400 B&W last night for one of my kids for a
project they are doing.

Cheers.

Pete

Old February 18th 09, 12:21 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

David Nebenzahl wrote,on my timestamp of 18/02/2009 6:14 AM:
[...]

Amazing. And here I am shooting mainly film since I forgot when, and no one
told me it had vanished!
Ah well: another board added to the coffin of digital!
Old February 18th 09, 01:17 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Ric Trexell

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
Being out of slow-speed color print film, went to Target[1] yesterday
with hopes that they'd still have film. So they still have it,
at least for the moment.

David: I don't know where you are at but I have no trouble getting film.
My local Wal-Mart still has 110 film if you can believe it. Walgreens had
slide film until this fall, but still has a lot of 35mm film. I'm one that
believes film will come back somewhat. I say that even knowing that while I
dropped off a roll of film at Wal-Mart this weekend, I found out that they
only pick up twice a week instead of nearly every day. Like everything in
this world, you find people that try something and don't like it, while
others are sold right away. Digital will always rule with the news media
and pro photographers that need the instant pictures. Film will be for
those that don't want to spend their evenings loading files into their
computer and spending the next two hours printing their pictures. One thing
I'm glad about is that digital made a Mamiya RB 67 Pro S, a camera that cost
$2000 used, into a $275 one that I could afford. (And maybe some day I'll
get a digital back for it.) Ric.

Old February 18th 09, 02:27 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Nebenzahl

On 2/17/2009 5:17 PM Ric Trexell spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...

Being out of slow-speed color print film, went to Target[1] yesterday
with hopes that they'd still have film. So they still have it,
at least for the moment.

David: I don't know where you are at but I have no trouble getting film.

San Francisco Bay Area.

My local Wal-Mart still has 110 film if you can believe it. Walgreens had
slide film until this fall, but still has a lot of 35mm film.

I quick looked in my local Walgreen's but wasn't sure if they still had
film or not. Longs Drugs, which is where I have my processing done,
still has a little bit of Fuji film (same stuff I got at Target), but
much more expensive. They used to have real deals where you could get it
close to a buck a roll. (I also heard rumors that they're considering
dropping their photofinishing business.)

Target closed their film processing counters last month.

One thing I'm glad about is that digital made a Mamiya RB 67 Pro S, a
camera that cost $2000 used, into a $275 one that I could afford.
(And maybe some day I'll get a digital back for it.)

So what do you think the chances are of this same thing happening to the
Fuji 6x9 rangefinder? It's one of the cameras I still lust after, but is
still beacoup bux.

Old February 18th 09, 04:55 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

"Noons" wrote in message
[...]

I still shoot slide film in my F5......I haven't seen anything digital yet
that compares with the brilliant colors I get. But, the handwriting is on
the wall, and I know that it's only a question of time before film
disappears altogether.....

Old February 18th 09, 05:09 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

Bill Graham wrote,on my timestamp of 18/02/2009 3:55 PM:

Amazing. And here I am shooting mainly film since I forgot when, and
no one told me it had vanished!
Ah well: another board added to the coffin of digital!

I still shoot slide film in my F5......I haven't seen anything digital
yet that compares with the brilliant colors I get. But, the handwriting
is on the wall, and I know that it's only a question of time before film
disappears altogether.....

I wish I had a dollar for every time that FUD crap has surfaced on the Usenet in
the last 10 years...
Old February 18th 09, 05:59 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Bill Graham wrote:
I still shoot slide film in my F5......I haven't seen anything digital yet
that compares with the brilliant colors I get. But, the handwriting is on
the wall, and I know that it's only a question of time before film
disappears altogether.....

Disappears altogether? I doubt it. Eventually film will join those things
that people used to use and now only a few hobbists use, but is still
avalaible. For example, morse code keys, leaded gasoline (or at least
an additive to make it), home canning supplies, vacuum tubes, and so on.

With the reduction in disposable income worldwide, they will dimminish in
"for the heck of it" demand, but some people will stick with them, and others
will take them up as ways of conserving money.

What will "kill" film, is a cheap digital camera that produces results
close enough to film that people will no longer buy film. Why pay $5 a
roll for film, when you can get a digital camera for $10? With cell phone
cameras, and kid's digital cameras (although to pricey and poor quality)
already out there, it's going to happen soon.

Compared to 40 years ago when I was a teenager, when you could get 3 or
4 types of black and white film in 4 or 5 sizes and 3 types of color film
in any drugstore, supermarket, etc. film has dryed up and gone away. But
dissappear altogther? Not for a long time.

Geoff.

Old February 18th 09, 03:46 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

Compared to 40 years ago when I was a teenager, when you could get 3 or
4 types of black and white film in 4 or 5 sizes and 3 types of color film
in any drugstore, supermarket, etc. film has dryed up and gone away. But
dissappear altogther? Not for a long time.

It's getting less and less convenient to find E-6 and Portra (in 120
format esp.) here in the 'urbs. Have to order it 6 days in advance for
delivery to my fav store, or trek into the city. My freezer stock is
running low - I still use it.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old February 18th 09, 04:21 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Beefy LaSleep

Gee, for the San Francisco Bay Area, I would think film not to be a
problem. I travel the area a lot, so getting to Palo Alto is easy, and
Keeble & Schuchat is one of the biggest/professional stores around. I
haven't shot in a while (uh, the economics of buying/processing film),
but I think they're well stocked.

Last time I went to look for Velvia at San Jose Camera & Video (I
dunno, they're a usually well stocked store, but often rather rude in
there!), they had no Velvia, but Sensia, which served my purposes that
trip.

I was sorry to see Los Gatos Camera go. Mike, the owner, sold it, then
the new owner gave up on it, claiming digial dried up his business
(the site is a bundt cake store now....gee, we need a bundt cake
store? Where's the old SNL bit the "scotch tape store"????). In its
day, LG Camera had plenty of pro film (including the now-discontinued
Scala) and good people that actually cared about photography.

While I dabble in the Dark Side with a digital P&S, my 3 SLRs are all
film, and I still love the stuff

Canon S3 report SJ Digital Photography 7 October 5th 06 04:25 PM
Multiblitz Report loionan Other Photographic Equipment 0 March 6th 06 06:29 AM
[OT] Troll Report George Kerby Digital Photography 5 March 11th 05 12:54 AM
Agfa d-lab.2 report (NPH) Bill Tuthill 35mm Photo Equipment 0 August 23rd 04 06:04 PM
Agfa d-lab.2 report (NPH) Bill Tuthill Film & Labs 0 August 23rd 04 06:04 PM