Curious - who uses Dropbox?

Old February 23rd 12, 10:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Curious - who uses Dropbox?

On 2012-02-23 14:17:25 -0800, Alan Browne

On 2012-02-20 13:36:50 -0800, Alan Browne

On 2012-02-20 04:02 , Val Hallah wrote:
On Feb 17, 11:18 pm, Alan
wrote:
I signed up to Dropbox quite a while ago but removed the App. I was
using Evernote instead.

But for sharing files (including photos), Dropbox seems more practical
so I re-installed it and updated my account. Re-installed it on the
phone.

Do you use Dropbox?

For what?

(Note, Google's "Drive" will startup soon too ...)

--
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty."
Douglas Adams - (Could have been a GPS engineer).

I use Flickr (have been using it for some time) but am too tight to
pay for a Pro account...so now I have 28 Flickr accounts...if I
remember DB did not give much free space...?!

2 GB. More than enough for casual doc/image flips. You can "earn" more
free space too. Then it's $9.99 / month for 50GB which is steep but
could be of interest to some businesses or users, I suppose.

My free DB account is up to 2.25GB. Whoopee!!

Pogoplug starts with 5GB free, then has three pay tiers. 30GB for
$4.95/month, 100GB for $14.95/month, and 1000GB for $59.95/month. ...or
add your own private unlimited cloud for no monthly fee with the
purchase of a Pogoplug device and whatever network or storage you choose
to connect to.
http://pogoplug.com/expansion

I have the free 5GB + a Pogoplug device and a 1TB SATA hard drive.

But you have to buy a pogoplug widget and imbue it with a disk. It has
to be left on. It has to have access to the gateway (modem).

Only if you want to add the Pogoplug device and you optional memory.

With regard to their free 5GB account, which does not have any
requirement to purchase any more, and that and like BD you have the
option to buy more of their server space. That 30GB for $4.95/Mnth
isn't too bad a deal. All without buying anything else. The personal
"cloud" is just an option they offer.

With dropbox I can shut the house down and still have access when traveling.

2 GB is more than enough for me. I doubt I'll have more than 100 MB in
there at any given time.

There is nothing saying you can't have a free DB 2GB account and and a
free Pogoplug 5GB account, to have that extra free server space, for
that trip where having that extra space available , might prove to be
valuable.

Savageduck

Old February 23rd 12, 10:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alan Browne

On 2012-02-23 14:17:25 -0800, Alan Browne

On 2012-02-20 13:36:50 -0800, Alan Browne

On 2012-02-20 04:02 , Val Hallah wrote:
On Feb 17, 11:18 pm, Alan
wrote:
[...]

Then I misunderstood their site.

With regard to their free 5GB account, which does not have any
requirement to purchase any more, and that and like BD you have the
option to buy more of their server space. That 30GB for $4.95/Mnth isn't
too bad a deal. All without buying anything else. The personal "cloud"
is just an option they offer.

With dropbox I can shut the house down and still have access when
traveling.

2 GB is more than enough for me. I doubt I'll have more than 100 MB in
there at any given time.

There is nothing saying you can't have a free DB 2GB account and and a
free Pogoplug 5GB account, to have that extra free server space, for
that trip where having that extra space available , might prove to be
valuable.

I have other resources as well. The 2 GB is more for personal doc and
photo flips - all of a brief duration and rarely large files.

I said I didn't know."
-Samuel Clemens.
Old February 25th 12, 06:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Dennis Boone

Do you use Dropbox?

I don't use any of these services, but coincidentally, box.net was
brought to my attention. Folks I respect say their policies are less
worrisome than dropbox. Apparently they're offering, through March
23, an upgrade to 50GB of storage for free forever, if one installs
the smartphone client and logs into the service with it.

In case it's useful to anyone here.

De
Old February 25th 12, 06:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN

On 2/25/2012 1:37 PM, Dennis Boone wrote:
Do you use Dropbox?

I don't use any of these services, but coincidentally, box.net was
brought to my attention. Folks I respect say their policies are less
worrisome than dropbox. Apparently they're offering, through March
23, an upgrade to 50GB of storage for free forever, if one installs
the smartphone client and logs into the service with it.

In case it's useful to anyone here.

De

Without looking, I'll bet the TOS gives permission for all to use you
mobile for ad pushing, at your expense.

--
Peter
There ain't no free lunch
Old February 25th 12, 07:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alan Browne

On 2012-02-25 13:37 , Dennis Boone wrote:
Do you use Dropbox?

I don't use any of these services, but coincidentally, box.net was
brought to my attention. Folks I respect say their policies are less
worrisome than dropbox. Apparently they're offering, through March
23, an upgrade to 50GB of storage for free forever, if one installs
the smartphone client and logs into the service with it.

Thanks. I've signed up, but I don't see any upgrade offer (installed
the iphone client and logged in, still have 5 GB). No big deal.

The PC side interface to "Dropbox" is 'cleaner' IMO (just drag and drop
to a folder on the computer rather than a webpage).

The "upload photo" from the iphone with Box works very nicely - a little
less fussy than Dropbox.

I said I didn't know."
-Samuel Clemens.
Old February 26th 12, 04:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-02-25 18:56:59 -0800, tony cooper said:

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 17:18:50 -0500, Alan Browne
wrote:

I signed up to Dropbox quite a while ago but removed the App. I was
using Evernote instead.

But for sharing files (including photos), Dropbox seems more practical
so I re-installed it and updated my account. Re-installed it on the phone.

Do you use Dropbox?

For what?

(Note, Google's "Drive" will startup soon too ...)

Just downloaded it tonight. Here's a test of some images I took last
night.

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/2012-...jpg?w=31b585df

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/2012-...jpg?w=1dffcb38

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/2012-...jpg?w=a8ddf76d

You need to check what you are doing when you get the file url, the
three you posted are not public share url's.
You need to right click on the file and then select "Copy Public link"
from the DB submenu, and paste it into your response, like so.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Shar...C1029_ADBW.jpg

Savageduck

Old February 26th 12, 04:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

…er try this one for size;
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Shar...DNC_9906SC.jpg

Savageduck

Old February 26th 12, 07:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

I signed up to Dropbox quite a while ago but removed the App. I was
using Evernote instead.

But for sharing files (including photos), Dropbox seems more practical
so I re-installed it and updated my account. Re-installed it on the phone.

Do you use Dropbox?

For what?

(Note, Google's "Drive" will startup soon too ...)

Just downloaded it tonight. Here's a test of some images I took last
night.

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/2012-...jpg?w=31b585df

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/2012-...jpg?w=1dffcb38

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/2012-...jpg?w=a8ddf76d

You need to check what you are doing when you get the file url, the
three you posted are not public share url's.

What does that mean? Were you not able to open the links? What's the
difference between a public and whatever the other is?

No! I was not able to open the links. I got a 403 error for each of them.

You need to right click on the file and then select "Copy Public link"
from the DB submenu, and paste it into your response, like so.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Shar...C1029_ADBW.jpg

Your link comes up as a 404.

I know, I goofed so I posted this good one in my next post.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Shar...DNC_9906SC.jpg

As far as my view on Dropbox, I only see one advantage: the size of
the image as viewed by the file opener.

Compared to, say, Photobucket, it's no easier to upload. Photobucket
does auto re-size to their max and Dropbox allows a larger image.
The ease of uploading, speed, etc all seems the same. I like
Photobucket's interface because I can see a thumbnail of the image
itself and not just the image name. To see the image in Dropbox, I
have to go up to My Documents and open the folder.

What am I missing about Dropbox that makes it any better than any
other free source?

Nothing.

That was why in my quest for a replacement to iDisk by the end of June
I had considered Dropbox, but I didn't quite find it to be the solution
I was looking for. What it does, is give you a free repository from
which you can share various types of files not just image files.

Currently I have a preference for Pogoplug, not that there is anything
terribly wrong with Dropbox.

While I use Photobucket sometimes, I normally use my SmugMug host. I
do pay for that...$40 a year.

Savageduck

Old February 26th 12, 01:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-02-26 05:24:42 -0800, tony cooper said:

OK...let's try again. See if these can be opened. Especially the
third one because I just re-pasted the second and changed the 02 to
03.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2012-02-25-01.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2012-02-25-02.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64147677/2012-02-25-03.jpg

All three worked just fine.

What am I missing about Dropbox that makes it any better than any
other free source?

Nothing.

There is an advantage, maybe, in being able to coordinate files from
more than one computer, but I don't follow that since I use just one.

Sharing and/or coordinating specific files between several computers is
one purpose. Usually a desktop at work and/or at home, a laptop, and
for those who use them, tablets & smart phones.

When on the road, it can be a way of backing up some, or all your image
files even if you are guest using a computer you might have access to.
By the same token, you would also have access to any files you have
maintained in your Dropbox folder.

It is just another tool to be used in which ever way suits your
purposes. For you it might be a solution for a problem which does not
exist, but I am sure that in time you will find a need which could be
met by one of these 'cloud" services.

Savageduck

Old February 26th 12, 04:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-02-26 06:24:38 -0800, tony cooper said:

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 05:56:10 -0800, Savageduck

On 2012-02-26 05:24:42 -0800, tony cooper said:

[...]

I'm trying to figure that point out. I have to move (by copying) my
files to the dropbox folder to have access to them from another
computer, right? Don't I have the same access to my files in my
SmugMug account or my Photobucket account? If I have to move files to
a folder and they are uploaded from that folder, then it's the same
thing as uploading to any photo host with access by name/password.
It's not like I have remote access to all computer files (which is
possible) and files that have not been uploaded.

The Dropbox "folder" is an issue I have problems with, as it screws
with my cataloging system and is one of the reasons after test driving
Dropbox, I have not adopted it as my primary "cloud" storage.
I find Pogoplug, G+(with Picasa Web Albums, and I would assume Smugmug
or Photobucket) to be less of a hassle.

It is just another tool to be used in which ever way suits your
purposes. For you it might be a solution for a problem which does not
exist, but I am sure that in time you will find a need which could be
met by one of these 'cloud" services.

I'm interested in a "better" system, but sometimes have trouble seeing
something as any better than what I'm doing now.

That is what I find so annoying about Apple changing the way iDisc
works, or should I say the way it worked for me. I found that was the
easiest and better way to do what I wanted to do with the cloud, and I
would not even have explored some of the other solutions if they were
not planning that change.

Savageduck

Curious measekite Digital Photography 4 February 14th 09 04:36 PM
Free DropBox Image Processor. [email protected] Digital Photography 0 September 4th 07 08:41 AM
I'm curious Inaccessible 35mm Photo Equipment 0 February 3rd 05 04:30 PM