I can't believe I did this. Did you ever do anything this dumb?

Old July 27th 09, 09:14 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Doug Jewell[_3_]

Default I can't believe I did this. Did you ever do anything this dumb?

Bill Graham wrote:

"Annika1980" wrote in message
On Jul 25, 10:52 pm, "Ric Trexell" wrote:
I was shooting a friend and his wife today and kept thinking that I was
forgeting something. I checked the meter, the focus and all that, but
couldn't think of anything. Then when I got home I started thinking about
how I had trouble positioning the two on them for some shots. It was then
that I realized I did the whole shoot in the horizontal position, and
never
did any verticals. I still can't believe I did something so dumb after
taking pictures for over 40 years. Did you ever do something so dumb?
Tell
me so that I don't do something like that again. Ric in Wisconsin.

Dude, that doesn't even compare to some of the dumbest things I've
done.
Here's 4 of my favs:

1. First day with my new EOS-1V film camera. Went to Atlanta and
shot three rolls of Tiger Woods and other pros at the Tour
Championship. Made Tiger stop his swing in the middle of his
downswing when the Fabulous EOS-1V's motor drive sounded like a
machine gun. But it was just a Pro-Am (practice round) so who gives a
****, right?
Noticed something blinking "3" on the top of the camera and made a
mental note to read the manual when I got home. Rushed back home (two
hour drive) just in time to drop the film off an hour before they
closed. Went back in one hour, eagerly awaiting all my great film
shots of Tiger Woods. The guy said, "We have a problem. All your
shots are black."
Turns out I had accidentally bumped the EC setting to -3 stops
underexposed.
Oops.

3 stops? Strikes me that Photoshop should be able to salvage those.......

Not likely. Colour Neg film will handle a couple stops over,
and maybe 1 stop under. 3 stops under the negs would be
damned near transparent. If you knew about it prior to
development, you might be able to salvage it by giving it a
bit longer in the dev.
Old July 27th 09, 05:35 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Cassandra J. Nichols

Ric Trexell wrote:

I was shooting a friend and his wife today and kept thinking that I was
forgeting something. I checked the meter, the focus and all that, but
couldn't think of anything. Then when I got home I started thinking about
how I had trouble positioning the two on them for some shots. It was then
that I realized I did the whole shoot in the horizontal position, and never
did any verticals. I still can't believe I did something so dumb after
taking pictures for over 40 years. Did you ever do something so dumb? Tell
me so that I don't do something like that again. Ric in Wisconsin.

About a year ago I was an assistant shooter for a corporate party and
was asked by the primary to shoot everything in landscape. If he wanted
portrait he'd crop it. I didn't deliberately do anything dumb, but it
was odd to me.

--
- Cassandra J. Nichols
Old July 27th 09, 09:05 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alienjones[_6_]

Cassandra J. Nichols wrote:
Ric Trexell wrote:

[...]

What is so odd about that?
Most albums are landscape mode.
TVs are landscape mode.
half page ads are landscape mode.

Try making a presentation - wide screen or not - for a TV
commercial or for internal transmission for a corporate client
in anything other than landscape mode and see how far you get.

In fact working in any of those areas the 4/3rd aspect ratio
is much preferred over 3:2 of many DSLRs. Even paper size
suits 4/3rd closer than 3:2!
Old July 28th 09, 01:45 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 06:05:52 +1000, Alienjones wrote:

Cassandra J. Nichols wrote:

What is so odd about that?
Most albums are landscape mode.
TVs are landscape mode.
half page ads are landscape mode.

Try making a presentation - wide screen or not - for a TV
commercial or for internal transmission for a corporate client
in anything other than landscape mode and see how far you get.

In fact working in any of those areas the 4/3rd aspect ratio
is much preferred over 3:2 of many DSLRs. Even paper size
suits 4/3rd closer than 3:2!

I see math isn't your strong point... 3/2 is more wide angle than 4/3.

Old July 28th 09, 03:42 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 01:24:39 -0400, rwalker wrote:
: On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 21:31:05 -0700 (PDT), Annika1980
: wrote:
:
: On Jul 25, 10:52*pm, "Ric Trexell" wrote:
: I was shooting a friend and his wife today and kept thinking that I was
: snip
:
: My mother's estranged oldest brother came home after 40-plus years to
: a reunion with 7 of his 10 siblings. It was the first time I'd ever
: met him, and I was in my early 40s at the time. I shot a whole roll
: of film of him with his siblings, and had an aunt shoot a couple of
: shots of me with him. There went 24 shots, and so I rewound and
: opened up the camera - no film. (I thought it rewound awfully
: easily.)

With me it was, "Gee, I've already gotten more than 40 exposures off this
roll. That's exceptionally generous of Kodak; I'll have to thank them when I
have a chance." But as the exposure counter got well into its second or third
time around, the truth finally dawned. I had, of course, not managed to get
the tongue of the film locked into the takeup spool. Well, at least I didn't
waste the roll of film. :^[

Bob
Old July 28th 09, 03:51 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 09:35:50 -0700, "Cassandra J. Nichols"
wrote:
: Ric Trexell wrote:
:
[...]

If you're using on-camera flash, the orientation of the camera affects the
position of the flash. I sometimes use landscape mode for shots I expect to
crop to verticals, rather than have the light come from the side of the
picture. With a 15-megapixel sensor, you easily have enough leeway to do that.

Bob
Old July 28th 09, 05:11 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Ric Trexell

I know this is not the worst that could happen, I have done worse but caught
my mistake before taking a whole roll. I was using a medium format 6X7 with
a strobe off to the side. It isn't like I was shooting a wedding or
something that is once in a life time event. I can meet again with my
friends and do it over. It was just one of those really stupid things that
any body with a lick of sense wouldn't do. I did take some with my 35mm
later and flipped the camera for verticals without thinking twice. I
suppose a book could be written of all the things photographers have done
wrong. Even if it was and we all read it, we could probably find something
else to mess up. Thanks for the responses. Ric in Wisconsin.

Old July 29th 09, 10:16 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

"RobertL" wrote in message
On Jul 27, 4:22 am, Robert Coe wrote:
On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 21:52:07 -0500, "Ric Trexell"
wrote:

You didn't actually request an explanation of your behavior, but I'll
provide
it anyway: You subconciously snapped back to the 1950s

Well, some of us still shoot in stereo today.

and imagined that you
were shooting in stereo, where verticals are, of course, forbidden.

With the "two images on one 35mm frame" type adaptors you essentially
always use a vertical format. The old "two separate frames" stereo
cameras (like the realist) often had nearly square images.

To avoid
going insane, you may have to buy a stereo camera (possibly available on
E-bay) and actually take pictures with it from time to time. Alas, you
won't
be able to use Kodachrome, but other types of film may be found if you
look
hard enough.

yes, Kodachrome was what I used until its recent death. Now I use
black/white processed for positive image by DR5.

You can take fine stereo images with digital cameras, but you have to view
them straight from the screen or paper, and not from slides. Some of the
digital cameras are small enough to set them 4 cm apart so you can take both
images at once......

Old July 31st 09, 10:18 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

"RobertL" wrote in message
On Jul 29, 10:16 pm, "Bill Graham" wrote:
"RobertL" wrote in message

You can take fine stereo images with digital cameras, but you have to view
them straight from the screen or paper, and not from slides. Some of the
digital cameras are small enough to set them 4 cm apart so you can take
both
images at once......

In fact the separation is not too critical. Using two ordinary 35mm
film cameras on a bar you can get good stereo eve nwit hseparatipons
wider than the typical eye separation of 60-70mmmm . The image is not
distorted but scaled down. in fact, suing very wide sparations is
ofte nuseful for seeing the 3D natuire of large objects a long way
away, like mountains.

You can also print slides fro mdigital images of course, but you'd
need to merge them first if you want side-by-side format.

the nice thng with film, especially Kodachrome and silver based black/
white is that you can put them in a box in the attic and forget them
for your children to find when they grow up.

Robert

Yes, but this depends in part on where you live.....Don't try it in the
tropics, or anypolace that is similar to the tropics like Florida. In these
kind of climates, you better keep your slides under dry nitrogen gas if you
want your grandchildren to find anything besides a pile of green
mould......As a matter of fact, that's what happened to my first Stereo
Realist camera......I wasn't living in the tropics, but I made the mistake
of putting it in a safe that was built to protect papers in a fire. When the
temperature got warm enough, the inside walls of this safe exeuded moisture,
and it turned my Realist into a pile of green powder. It would have cost
more to clean it than it was worth, so I just threw it away and bought
another one.....

Old August 8th 09, 03:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Ric Trexell wrote:
I was shooting a friend and his wife today and kept thinking that I was
forgeting something. I checked the meter, the focus and all that, but
couldn't think of anything. Then when I got home I started thinking about
how I had trouble positioning the two on them for some shots. It was then
that I realized I did the whole shoot in the horizontal position, and never
did any verticals. I still can't believe I did something so dumb after
taking pictures for over 40 years. Did you ever do something so dumb? Tell
me so that I don't do something like that again. Ric in Wisconsin.

Dehydradion or ox-dep are my usual excuses ... I recently shot some
outdoor family groups with remote wireless sync'd flash and in setting
exposure for the countryside BG had the shutter speed at 1/320 resulting
in some 'shady' heads. In fact the verticals I shot saved the day as
the 'shaded' part was off to the side (the a900 has a sync speed of
1/250. My Maxxum 9 could easily sync at 1/320 (rated for 1/300).