My sister went to digital.

Old March 1st 09, 06:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Ric Trexell

Default My sister went to digital.

The digital guys were right. People are going to switch to digital. Here
is an example, my sister took film pictures for years with her little point
and shoot camera, mainly of the grandkids. She would drop the film off at
the drug store and pick it up a few days later. Then her husband bought her
a digital. She liked how she could just shoot away and hand it to her
husband to print out the pictures. Then my brother in law died. Since she
doesn't use the computer she has to have the grandkids print out the
pictures. They are pretty busy usually so now she doesn't bother taking
pictures. But she has a digital camera. Yeah.

Old March 1st 09, 10:42 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Peter Chant[_2_]

Ric Trexell wrote:

The digital guys were right. People are going to switch to digital. Here
is an example, my sister took film pictures for years with her little
point
and shoot camera, mainly of the grandkids. She would drop the film off at
the drug store and pick it up a few days later. Then her husband bought
her
a digital. She liked how she could just shoot away and hand it to her
husband to print out the pictures. Then my brother in law died. Since
she doesn't use the computer she has to have the grandkids print out the
pictures. They are pretty busy usually so now she doesn't bother taking
pictures. But she has a digital camera. Yeah.

Goodness. As I see it.

If you just want to take snaps:

If you have a computer and are happy editing and printing photos
buy a digital P&S.

If do not have a computer and have always used film keep using film
until you can no longer buy it or get it processed (including by mail).

if you don't fall into one of those two camps it is more complex but you
probably know what you want to do anyway.

Pete

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk
Old March 1st 09, 11:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 10:43:04 -0800 (PST), Annika1980
wrote:
: On Mar 1, 1:32*pm, "Ric Trexell" wrote:
: She would drop the film off at the drug store and pick it up a few days later. *
:
: Why doesn't your stupid sister drop the memory card off at the drug
: store and pick the photos up an hour later?
: Better yet, use the kiosk at the drug store and only print the photos
: she likes, thus saving hundreds of dollars a year in printing costs.
: Yeah.

Ric,

While I'd prefer to disassociate myself from Bret's characterization of your
sister as stupid ("uninformed" is as far as I'm prepared to go), I think his
point is well taken. If she was used to having her film pictures processed at
the drug store, the digital world certainly supports that.

But in the long run, it would be good if she could learn to do it herself. Her
local senior center or community college may have courses or lectures on how
to use a computer for digital photography. And maybe her computer-literate
grandchildren could help her learn. My grandchildren (ranging in age from 3 to
10) are all pretty adept at the computer. If they can learn it, so can your
sister. ;^)

Bob
Old March 1st 09, 11:26 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Colin.D

Ric Trexell wrote:
The digital guys were right. People are going to switch to digital. Here
is an example, my sister took film pictures for years with her little point
and shoot camera, mainly of the grandkids. She would drop the film off at
the drug store and pick it up a few days later. Then her husband bought her
a digital. She liked how she could just shoot away and hand it to her
husband to print out the pictures. Then my brother in law died. Since she
doesn't use the computer she has to have the grandkids print out the
pictures. They are pretty busy usually so now she doesn't bother taking
pictures. But she has a digital camera. Yeah.

Perhaps your sister is not aware that she can drop off the card and have
her shots processed just the same as she did with film, and she can get
a CD of the images as well to use on the computer when she learns to use it.

Why don't you go round there - if it's not too far, of course - and grab
the card, take it to the shop and get her some prints?

Colin D.
Old March 2nd 09, 01:10 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Cooper

wrote:
[...]

I kinda disagree. I'm 70, computer-literate, an avid photographer who
is shooting all RAW now, and a reasonably proficient Photoshop user.
However, I have friends who are none of those things. Still, they
like to take snapshots. They'd be quite uncomfortable if you'd press
them into moving into the digital age. They are still able and
willing to learn new things, but they are very selective about what
they choose to apply themselves to.

I understand the feeling. I don't own an iPod, a Blackberry, or a GPS
device. I don't have the slightest interest in acquiring any of those
things or learning how to use them. I know I can, but I'm managing
quite nicely without them.

If the sister is content to have the photographs processed the way
she's doing it now...let her be. If she wants to learn to do
something she's not presently doing, she'll decide what that will be.
Other people's interests are not necessarily hers.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old March 2nd 09, 01:17 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 12:32:45 -0600, "Ric Trexell" wrote:

The digital guys were right. People are going to switch to digital. Here
is an example, my sister took film pictures for years with her little point
and shoot camera, mainly of the grandkids. She would drop the film off at
the drug store and pick it up a few days later. Then her husband bought her
a digital. She liked how she could just shoot away and hand it to her
husband to print out the pictures. Then my brother in law died. Since she
doesn't use the computer she has to have the grandkids print out the
pictures. They are pretty busy usually so now she doesn't bother taking
pictures. But she has a digital camera. Yeah.

That's always the way, a woman loses her husband and finds she is totally
incapable of the simplest tasks. Going out to Staples perhaps to get her prints,
or buying a photo printer that has a mem card slot... If only she had learned
more than cooking and ironing! Oh the humanity! Since she has no more use as a
baby machine, perhaps you could put her down? Then you could take her camera!

Old March 2nd 09, 02:19 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Ric Trexell

"Ric Trexell" wrote in message
The digital guys were right. People are going to switch to digital. Here
is an example, my sister took film pictures for years with her little

point
and shoot camera, mainly of the grandkids. She would drop the film off at
the drug store and pick it up a few days later. Then her husband bought

her
a digital. She liked how she could just shoot away and hand it to her
husband to print out the pictures. Then my brother in law died. Since

she
doesn't use the computer she has to have the grandkids print out the
pictures. They are pretty busy usually so now she doesn't bother taking
pictures. But she has a digital camera. Yeah.

I always enjoy getting the digital guys going on this stuff. I liked
TrollKillers comments about puttng her down. I'll bet you don't talk like
that in front of a bunch of women now do you? Ric.

Old March 2nd 09, 05:58 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

"Colin.D" wrote in message
Ric Trexell wrote:
[...]

Better yet, take her with you, and show her how easy it is.......

Old March 2nd 09, 10:03 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

Ric Trexell wrote,on my timestamp of 2/03/2009 1:19 PM:
[...]

You sir, are a master troll!
LOL!
Old March 2nd 09, 10:10 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

Ric Trexell wrote,on my timestamp of 2/03/2009 5:32 AM:

doesn't use the computer she has to have the grandkids print out the
pictures. They are pretty busy usually so now she doesn't bother taking
pictures. But she has a digital camera. Yeah.

This reminds me of the "photographers" at work who always
ask, when they see my photos hanging in the partition wall:
"was that taken with your film cameras?".

When I say yes, they go: "I used to use one of those but now
I have a digital: much lighter, much easier to shoot,
much faster, yaddayaddayadda".

I then go: "Cool! Got any shots for me to see?".
Their reply: "Not here, they are all in my lappie at home".

That's when I go: "Ah yes, at home. I prefer to stick mine
on the wall here so I can look at them whenever I want.
I like it better that way".

This is 99% of the time followed by deep pondering silence
from the digital "photographers"...

Ah well: takes all kinds, I suppose...