Kodak Ektra smartphone inspired by 1940s

Old October 20th 16, 06:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Kodak Ektra smartphone inspired by 1940s

On 2016-10-20 11:12:52 +0000, Whisky-dave said:

As no one has posted....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37705436

not that there's much I can think to say about it.

Corporate death throes can sometimes be pitiful.
Even George Eastman knew when it was time to exit. As he said in his
suicide note: "To my friends: my work is done. Why wait?"

His company should have learned that their complacency and reliance on
dated imaging tech and film had doomed them when they failed to go head
to head with the camera manufacturers which had fully embraced digital.

For kodak this is way too little, too late.

Savageduck

Old October 20th 16, 11:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joe Makowiec

On 20 Oct 2016 in rec.photo.digital, Savageduck wrote:

Corporate death throes can sometimes be pitiful.
Even George Eastman knew when it was time to exit. As he said in his
suicide note: "To my friends: my work is done. Why wait?"

His company should have learned that their complacency and reliance
on dated imaging tech and film had doomed them when they failed to
go head to head with the camera manufacturers which had fully
embraced digital.

I had my Nikon dSLR along yesterday, and got to talking with another guy
who had Nikons, both film and digital. Seems he still has a brick of
Kodachrome 25 in his freezer. We both laughed, a little sadly...

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/
Old October 20th 16, 11:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-10-20 22:41:26 +0000, Joe Makowiec said:

On 20 Oct 2016 in rec.photo.digital, Savageduck wrote:

Corporate death throes can sometimes be pitiful.
Even George Eastman knew when it was time to exit. As he said in his
suicide note: "To my friends: my work is done. Why wait?"

His company should have learned that their complacency and reliance
on dated imaging tech and film had doomed them when they failed to
go head to head with the camera manufacturers which had fully
embraced digital.

I had my Nikon dSLR along yesterday, and got to talking with another guy
who had Nikons, both film and digital. Seems he still has a brick of
Kodachrome 25 in his freezer. We both laughed, a little sadly...

What is truly sad is, that Kodachrome brick is just wasting space in
his freezer as there is nowhere left to process it. That was a real
case of “use it, or lose it.”
He might as well display it on a book shelf as a memento of things past.

Savageduck

Old October 21st 16, 12:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Savageduck wrote:

I had my Nikon dSLR along yesterday, and got to talking with another guy
who had Nikons, both film and digital. Seems he still has a brick of
Kodachrome 25 in his freezer. We both laughed, a little sadly...

What is truly sad is, that Kodachrome brick is just wasting space in
his freezer as there is nowhere left to process it. That was a real
case of use it, or lose it.
He might as well display it on a book shelf as a memento of things past.

it can be processed as b/w.
Old October 21st 16, 12:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-10-20 23:03:42 +0000, nospam said:

Savageduck wrote:

I had my Nikon dSLR along yesterday, and got to talking with another guy
who had Nikons, both film and digital. Seems he still has a brick of
Kodachrome 25 in his freezer. We both laughed, a little sadly...

What is truly sad is, that Kodachrome brick is just wasting space in
his freezer as there is nowhere left to process it. That was a real
case of ³use it, or lose it.²
He might as well display it on a book shelf as a memento of things past.

it can be processed as b/w.

Better to use a true B&W emulsion, of whatever brand, Kodak, Ilford, or
Fujifilm.

Savageduck

Old October 21st 16, 12:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Savageduck wrote:

What is truly sad is, that Kodachrome brick is just wasting space in
his freezer as there is nowhere left to process it. That was a real
case of 3use it, or lose it.2
He might as well display it on a book shelf as a memento of things past.

it can be processed as b/w.

Better to use a true B&W emulsion, of whatever brand, Kodak, Ilford, or
Fujifilm.

obviously, but the point is *some* use can still be had from it, even
if it's not ideal, versus tossing it in the trash or putting it on a
shelf.
Old October 21st 16, 12:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-10-20 23:22:39 +0000, nospam said:

Savageduck wrote:

What is truly sad is, that Kodachrome brick is just wasting space in
his freezer as there is nowhere left to process it. That was a real
case of 3use it, or lose it.2
He might as well display it on a book shelf as a memento of things past.

it can be processed as b/w.

Better to use a true B&W emulsion, of whatever brand, Kodak, Ilford, or
Fujifilm.

obviously, but the point is *some* use can still be had from it, even
if it's not ideal, versus tossing it in the trash or putting it on a
shelf.

Yet the owner seems to be immersed in shooting digital these days
rather than finding the time to wax nostalgic. After all that brick of
Kodachrome 25 has to be a minimum of 14 years old given that it was
discontinued in 2002.

It has been a good 12-15 years since I shot any 35mm, and that was with
a State evidence SLR, and I haven't shot any film in my two 35mm
cameras at home in much the same time.

Savageduck

Old October 21st 16, 06:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
nospam wrote:

Savageduck wrote:

What is truly sad is, that Kodachrome brick is just wasting space in
his freezer as there is nowhere left to process it. That was a real
case of 3use it, or lose it.2
He might as well display it on a book shelf as a memento of things
past.

it can be processed as b/w.

Better to use a true B&W emulsion, of whatever brand, Kodak, Ilford, or
Fujifilm.

obviously, but the point is *some* use can still be had from it, even
if it's not ideal, versus tossing it in the trash or putting it on a
shelf.

Yet the owner seems to be immersed in shooting digital these days
rather than finding the time to wax nostalgic. After all that brick of
Kodachrome 25 has to be a minimum of 14 years old given that it was
discontinued in 2002.

then toss it.

It could become a collectors item if it's intact with wrapping and
all... Keep it for fifty, not in the freezer necessarily and then let
the grandchildren try it on Sotheby's...
--
teleportation kills