Brooks Institute of Photography

Old March 17th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

Default Brooks Institute of Photography

So, what's the word on this school? In particular, anyone familiar with
their MA program, designed to crank out university profs?

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old March 17th 06, 06:54 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

In article ,
"Matt Clara" wrote:

So, what's the word on this school? In particular, anyone familiar with
their MA program, designed to crank out university profs?

Many claim it to be the best school in the country if your doing photo.
--
The things we hate most in life often turn out to be a mirror image
of ourselves. Better not to hate.

Findmedirectly - "infoatgregblankphoto.com"
Old March 18th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

"Matt Clara" wrote in message
.. .
So, what's the word on this school? In particular, anyone familiar with
their MA program, designed to crank out university profs?

So, you wannabe a university prof? Gawd, I could die of laughter; Matt
Clara, a professor? THERE GOES THE DISCIPLINE! Right into the "hand of god".

Find something else do to.

Old March 18th 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

Matt Clara writes ...

So, what's the word on this school?

It's very highly rated if you want to be a commercial photographer. I
know three pros who graduated there and they praise it, but then I know
probably other 33 pros who graduated from the School of Hard Knocks and
learned what they needed to know on their own or by working as an
assistant so ...

anyone familiar with their MA program, designed to crank
out university profs?

Seems like the professors at the local U who teach photography have MFA
degrees from four year universities rather than degrees from what is
basically an advanced trade school, so maybe check this theory out
carefully ... I could easily be wrong since it's based on the few guys
I know, but you can probably find out the credentials of the profs at
the schools you're interested in and see how many graduated from MFA
programs vs commercial programs like Brooks or Rochester or similar.

Bill

Old March 18th 06, 06:48 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

"2" wrote in message ...
"Matt Clara" wrote in message
.. .
So, what's the word on this school? In particular, anyone familiar with
their MA program, designed to crank out university profs?

So, you wannabe a university prof? Gawd, I could die of laughter; Matt
Clara, a professor? THERE GOES THE DISCIPLINE! Right into the "hand of
god".

Find something else do to.

LOL! JJS strikes again. Man, if you ever come back to "normal", let us
know. I taught composition at universities and community colleges for over
six years!

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old March 18th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

Bill Hilton wrote:

Seems like the professors at the local U who teach photography have MFA
degrees from four year universities rather than degrees from what is
basically an advanced trade school,

Brooks offers an MS in photography so it tends to be more practical
knowledge than an MFA. The art snobs will defintely look down their
noses but they do that anyway. Overall, Brooks is a good school in a
great location...if you can afford it.
Old March 18th 06, 05:19 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

"Matt Clara" wrote

LOL! JJS strikes again. Man, if you ever come back to "normal", let us
know. I taught composition at universities and community colleges for
over six years!

There are colleges and there are colleges.

Old March 18th 06, 05:37 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

Clyde writes ...

Brooks offers an MS in photography so it tends to be more
practical knowledge than an MFA.

Out of idle curiosity I checked their site and they describe it as a
"Professional Photography - Master of Science" degree. Fom the
write-up it sounds like it's mainly commercial-oriented.

I also googled "university photography faculty" to see if any Brooks
grads popped out but even in California on a couple of campuses close
to Brooks it looks like the MFA is the preferred degree and I didn't
see any Brooks grads on the faculty at the half dozen or so university
photography schools I checked ... to see a couple of lists of faculty
degrees click these links ...
http://www.cca.edu/academics/photography/faculty.php
http://www.usc.edu/dept/finearts/Pro...lty_photo.html

Old March 18th 06, 06:36 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

In article , Matt Clara
wrote:

So, what's the word on this school? In particular, anyone familiar with
their MA program, designed to crank out university profs?

If you want to go into commercial photography, you can't beat it. If
it's portraiture you want to get into, it's a bit much. But either way,
all of the Brookies I know are outstanding photographers. You will
definitely learn your stuff. But it's also definitely not easy.