Where to get real (i.e. non-digital) color prints?

Old May 3rd 04, 03:13 AM
David Nebenzahl

Default Where to get real (i.e. non-digital) color prints?

I wonder if anyone knows any place, preferably in the SF Bay Area, that still
makes actual projection color prints from negatives instead of the digital
prints from Fuji Frontier machines. (If not a local place, then maybe one that
does mail-order work.)

I've been fairly happy with the digital prints (4x6) I've been getting until
now, but lately have started to see things in them I definitely don't like:
telltale digital artifacts that don't look very good on close examination. I'd
like to get at least a couple of "real" prints made from the same negatives
for comparison. And of course, the printer would have to make decent prints,
in focus, correctly exposed, etc.

--
I was quickly apprised that an "RSS feed" was not, as I had naively
imagined, some new and unspeakable form of sexual debauchery practised

- Cynical shop talk from comp.publish.prepress

Old May 3rd 04, 04:26 AM
Mxsmanic

David Nebenzahl writes:

I wonder if anyone knows any place, preferably in the SF Bay Area, that still
makes actual projection color prints from negatives instead of the digital
prints from Fuji Frontier machines.

Most labs I've seen lately don't do optical enlargements except for
extremely high prices with long delays, and sometimes not even then.

Digital prints are fine as long as the right system is used in the right
way with appropriately-prepared digital images.

I've been fairly happy with the digital prints (4x6) I've been getting until
now, but lately have started to see things in them I definitely don't like:
telltale digital artifacts that don't look very good on close examination.

What sorts of artifacts?

I'd like to get at least a couple of "real" prints made from the same negatives
for comparison. And of course, the printer would have to make decent prints,
in focus, correctly exposed, etc.

There's the rub: it's extremely difficult to do everything right in
optical enlargement, and it's also impossible to print
digitally-corrected images. Even if you dodge and burn just right on a
print, you have to do it all over again for the next one.

Old May 3rd 04, 04:52 AM
Gregory W Blank

In article ,
Mxsmanic wrote:

There's the rub: it's extremely difficult to do everything right in
optical enlargement, and it's also impossible to print
digitally-corrected images. Even if you dodge and burn just right on a
print, you have to do it all over again for the next one.

Have you ever made an optical print? Some don't require burning or dodging
which basically makes the point null and void. I've made 1,000's if not 10,000's
of prints once you have the burning and dodging down its easy for a
given print provided we are talking about simple density differences, like the
sky being burned in.

I know of several labs here in Baltimore that make optical prints and computer
imaged ones,.... side by side. They use the same 52" RA processor and chemistry for
both, the one lab where I deal primarily has the same three day turnaround for
both types of prints.
--
LF website http://members.bellatlantic.net/~gblank

For best results expand this window at least 6" at 1152 x 768 resolution
Old May 9th 04, 06:07 AM
John

On Mon, 03 May 2004 05:26:22 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Even if you dodge and burn just right on a
print, you have to do it all over again for the next one.

Then I'd suggest a couple of remedies :

A) A digital mask

B) Better metering.

Regards,

John S. Douglas, Photographer - http://www.darkroompro.com
Please remove the "_" when replying via email
Old May 13th 04, 05:26 PM
David Nebenzahl

Default Where to get real (i.e. non-digital) color prints? answer tomy own question

On 5/2/2004 7:13 PM David Nebenzahl spake thus:

I wonder if anyone knows any place, preferably in the SF Bay Area, that still
makes actual projection color prints from negatives instead of the digital
prints from Fuji Frontier machines. (If not a local place, then maybe one that
does mail-order work.)

Well, I found a place today; stopped in my favorite photo store (Looking Glass
Photo in Berkeley), where they told me I can have Fuji projection prints made
for about $10 for 24 4x6 prints. I'm going to give it a try and compare the
results to the digitally-made prints.

Apparently, this is not a difficult thing to find, so it's a little surprising
that nobody came up with any suggestions here. Or maybe not, as this is Usenet ...

Old May 13th 04, 05:50 PM
Nick Zentena

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Apparently, this is not a difficult thing to find, so it's a little surprising
that nobody came up with any suggestions here. Or maybe not, as this is Usenet ...

Being a darkroom group I'd wager we tend to print our own. I do.

Nick

Old May 13th 04, 10:11 PM
Gregory W Blank

In article ,
Nick Zentena wrote:

Being a darkroom group I'd wager we tend to print our own. I do.
Nick

I was gonna tell David to send them to me, but I normally charge
16.50 for eight by tens, and also figured it would appear I was
soliciting.
--

For best results expand this window at least 6" at 1152 x 768 resolution
Old May 14th 04, 07:22 AM
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

I am paying 11 euro for processing a whole roll of 36 exp.@10X15cm
(*not*inches, be careful)and of course you get an album and a film for
free.AFAIK, they still use a traditional RA-4 process.

--
Dimitris Tzortzakakis,Iraklion Crete,Greece
Analogue technology rules-digital sucks

Old May 14th 04, 08:11 AM
David Nebenzahl

On 5/13/2004 11:22 PM Tzortzakakis Dimitrios spake thus:

I am paying 11 euro for processing a whole roll of 36 exp.@10X15cm
(*not*inches, be careful)and of course you get an album and a film for
free.AFAIK, they still use a traditional RA-4 process.

It may be RA-4, but are you sure it's optical and not digital? The minilabs
everyone uses around here use "traditional" wet processing, but the prints are
made digitally (via laser) from scanned negatives.