For those Who Care to Play: Acros SOOC + RAF

Old May 12th 17, 12:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default For those Who Care to Play: Acros SOOC + RAF

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I used to golf a little. No more than 4-6 rounds a week. I have some
fond memories of playing at the Dessert Inn. However, golf gave me up. I
cannot hit a ball without feeling a lot of pain in my knees.

that's not how you're supposed to hit the ball.

That statement shows how much you know about golf.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjK8WxEgRLk

I think nospam's remark was meant to be a joke!

it was.
Old May 12th 17, 12:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Ken Hart
wrote:

One of the last things I said to them was, " I guess this is why
people move to Apple". It might be a couple of years, but next time I
think I need something new, I will be looking at them for the first
time.

There's always Linux...

....and its lack of quality software.
Old May 12th 17, 02:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Russell D.[_3_]

On 05/11/2017 05:43 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Ken Hart
wrote:

One of the last things I said to them was, " I guess this is why
people move to Apple". It might be a couple of years, but next time I
think I need something new, I will be looking at them for the first
time.

There's always Linux...

...and its lack of quality software.

Wrong as usual.
Old May 12th 17, 03:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Russell D.
wrote:

One of the last things I said to them was, " I guess this is why
people move to Apple". It might be a couple of years, but next time I
think I need something new, I will be looking at them for the first
time.

There's always Linux...

...and its lack of quality software.

Wrong as usual.

it's exactly correct.

app developers mostly target mac/windows because linux doesn't have
sufficient market share to justify the engineering resources for a
third platform, plus the linux user base expects everything to be free.

apps such as photoshop, lightoom, final cut and other top quality
software will *never* be on linux.

linux is well suited for servers or embedded devices. not the desktop.
Old May 12th 17, 04:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Thu, 11 May 2017 19:19:31 -0400, Ken Hart
wrote:

On 05/11/2017 12:45 AM, Bill W wrote:
On Wed, 10 May 2017 23:31:40 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

Well, I finally got my photo computer working again a little after I
hung up on MS customer support, and a little before I reached the bomb
threat level of frustration with them.

what does it take to move beyond threat level and actually carry it
out?

After they told me I had to pay them to tell me how to fix the problem
that *their* update caused, I was at the tipping point... And this was
after I told them exactly what was wrong - a munged boot sector. "Oh,
well at this level 1 customer support, no one knows anything about
MBR's and those things. You have to get that info at level 2, our paid
service".

customer support is mostly useless, and at the larger companies, they
just want to get you off the phone because they're rated on number of
calls.

It's almost exactly like ransomware, except that a lot of Googling
came up with a fix. About 10 commands (bootrec & diskpart commands)
typed into the command line - really about 60 seconds if you type
fast, and it's fixed. The ridiculous part is that the Windows
install/recovery files (Media creation files) come out differently
depending on whether you choose to write them to a USB drive, or to a
DVD. Some tools are missing in the USB version, and a couple of the
commands fail, the critical one being bcdboot.

welcome to windows.

One of the last things I said to them was, " I guess this is why
people move to Apple". It might be a couple of years, but next time I
think I need something new, I will be looking at them for the first
time.

There's always Linux...

I did consider that in the past, but I have a lot of software that is
not is not written for Linux, and a lot of files - especially music -
that can't be used in any Linux software. Linux is probably great for
browsing and email. Far less worry about viruses.
Old May 12th 17, 08:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.

On 2017-05-11 13:19:43 +0000, "David B."

On 2017-05-11 07:31:32 +0000, Bill W said:

He's probably smart...

He is an old P-47 & P-38 fighter pilot who survived two tours in
WWII. So he is pretty smart.

He's certainly is most fortunate to still be here!

Are you aware of THIS place?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambri...y_and_Memorial

I wasn't until now. Thanks for that bit of information.

You are welcome. Following all the trauma of organizing my son's
funeral, we had a 'spare' day. My wife and I went to visit Cambridge for
the very first time in our lives - and took a ride on an open-top tour
bus. After reviewing the various universities, the bus left the city and
eventually stopped outside the American Cemetery. We were invited to
leave the bus and go and explore - but we simply could not, knowing so
poignantly how much sadness the parents of those young men must have
felt.

I am really sorry to hear that. You and your wife have gone through the
worst possible experience.

I appreciate your understanding.

Thank you, Peter.

--
David B.
Old May 12th 17, 08:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.

On 11/05/2017 13:55, nospam wrote:
In article , David B.
wrote:

Do you know what processes occur if/when one uses 'First Aid' (Disk
Utility)?

it's a wrapper on fsck.

I had no clue what you meant ...... but I then looked he-

http://www.bing.com/search?q=fsck&form=MOZESB&pc=MOZT

Can it REALLY fix things which are wrong?

depends what's wrong.

I was wondering if it could cure OS X if one is attacked by malware.

although apple improved fsck a *lot* over what existed before (it had
to, because fsck was mostly crap), fsck is nowhere near as good as
diskwarrior, which is amazing in how well it can fix file system
corruption.

I bought a copy of Diskwarrior from Ebay some years ago. Sadly, it
doesn't work on my iMac/version of OS X.

--
David B.
Old May 12th 17, 08:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.

On 11/05/2017 13:04, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 11 May 2017 10:20:48 UTC+1, David B. wrote:
On 11/05/2017 06:24, nospam wrote:
[....]
macs don't care if they're booted from internal or external drive,
whether it's usb, firewire, thunderbolt or sata. as long as the system
on the drive is compatible with the mac, it will boot, without any
changes necessary. they can even boot and install macos over the
internet to a blank hard drive.

there is also a recovery partition, which is automatically installed
(and is used for more than just recovery), so you don't actually need a
separate emergency boot disk.

Hi 'nospam'

Do you know what processes occur if/when one uses 'First Aid' (Disk
Utility)?

Can it REALLY fix things which are wrong?

Of course but then again it does depend what is wrong.

I was thinking about being attacked by malware.

FYI
http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac...ttack-3594625/

it can only do pretty basic file system stuff, so if there's smoke coming out, it won't put the magic smoke back in.

Understood! :-D

--
"The important thing is not to stop questioning."
- Albert Einstein

Old May 12th 17, 08:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.

On 11/05/2017 13:37, PeterN wrote:
On 5/11/2017 1:24 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , Bill W
wrote:

[...]

Same with windows.

[....]

I don't think you are right about that, Peter, but I'm no computer expert.

Perhaps someone else reading here will make further comment.

--
The only people who make a difference are the people who believe they can.
Old May 12th 17, 08:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , David B.
wrote:

Do you know what processes occur if/when one uses 'First Aid' (Disk
Utility)?

it's a wrapper on fsck.

I had no clue what you meant ...... but I then looked he-

http://www.bing.com/search?q=fsck&form=MOZESB&pc=MOZT

you asked what processes occur. that's what processes occur. just one.

Can it REALLY fix things which are wrong?

depends what's wrong.

I was wondering if it could cure OS X if one is attacked by malware.

nothing can 'cure malware'. if you've been pwned, the solution is wipe
and reinstall from a backup prior to the malware.

malware won't be an issue if you don't do anything stupid. the weakness
is not macos (or windows for that matter), but the rather person using
it.

if someone is tricked into opening an attachment or clicking a link or
running an app from an unknown source, game over, no matter what system
they're using.

if someone gives out their credit card number to some random caller who
is pretending to offer some service, game over.

people are stupid and fall for scams all the time. even people who
should know better fall for them. scams are nothing new.

although apple improved fsck a *lot* over what existed before (it had
to, because fsck was mostly crap), fsck is nowhere near as good as
diskwarrior, which is amazing in how well it can fix file system
corruption.

I bought a copy of Diskwarrior from Ebay some years ago. Sadly, it
doesn't work on my iMac/version of OS X.

that must have been a really, really long time ago.