Trying to reduce pictures in portfolio

Old January 29th 07, 05:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Macnamara

Default Trying to reduce pictures in portfolio

Hi guys.

I'd like to put a printed portfolio of my favourite pictures together, and
I've posted some to a website.

The trouble is I am obviously biased, as I took the pictures, and I think I
need to get rid of 4-5 shots just to make the portfolio a reasonable size.

If you get a minute, and you can be bothered, please have a look at the
pictures, and let me know which ones you'd exclude.

Here's the link
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/chris.m...res_portfolio/

Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris

Old January 29th 07, 06:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Lucke

In article , Chris
Macnamara wrote:

Hi guys.

I'd like to put a printed portfolio of my favourite pictures together, and
I've posted some to a website.

The trouble is I am obviously biased, as I took the pictures, and I think I
need to get rid of 4-5 shots just to make the portfolio a reasonable size.

If you get a minute, and you can be bothered, please have a look at the
pictures, and let me know which ones you'd exclude.

Here's the link
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/chris.m...res_portfolio/

Thanks in advance for your help.

Some nice shots there, some rather boring ones. I do particularly like
the opening one of the reflections in the water droplets. I also like
the colors/composition on the deck chair shot (Bournmouth), the
interesting architecural elements of Bullring and Pedrera, and several
of your B&W shots.

If it were me, I'd lose:
- Wroughton Hospital (boring, not enough interest, just some light
trails that we can't tell much about)
- Very Big Clouds (just a cloud/sky shot without much else of interest)
- Stanton Bumble (the titled feature of your shot [the bee] is out of
focus with too much motion blur even in the body)
- Roar (cute, but the later profile shot of the cat is a much better
composition, IMO)
- Remembrence Avebury (too cluttered for a "lonely grave" picture, IMO
would have been better in B&W if at all)
- Pilot & Student (boring, boring, boring :^)
- Magic Roundabout (not sure what it is about it I don't find
appealling, just "something" - if you keep it, I'd crop out the Texaco
sign on the left).
- Evil (just a shot of a crow/raven/whatever on a fence - boring)
- Cow (too much foreground/background surronding a samll subject -
boring)

I'd crop down fairly tightly on the Wasp. My eye wanders all over the
empty background. Several of your images look as if they might eed a
little more exposure tweaking (under-exposed appearance). You have
severe vignetting on the Pier and Castle, which can be at least
partially compensated for in Photoshop by several methods (including
plugins specifically designed for such) ... I can see why you didn't
crop it out, as it would have placed the edges too close to the castle,
but try compensating it out - it's distracting.

These are just my personal opinions, others will no doubt have
differing views, and of course if you feel strongly about any of the
images, ignore what anyone tells you and go with your gut.

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard
Old January 30th 07, 07:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Macnamara

[...]

Thanks Ken, that's pretty helpful.

Chris