Scuffed LCD

Old January 29th 07, 03:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
irwell

Default Scuffed LCD

The LCD on my Sony has been scuffed, the
surface does not appear to be damaged
and the image shows up without any distortion.

I tried some Isopropyl gently applied
but no improvement.
Old January 29th 07, 04:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Polson

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 07:50:04 -0800, irwell wrote:
The LCD on my Sony has been scuffed, the
surface does not appear to be damaged
and the image shows up without any distortion.

I tried some Isopropyl gently applied
but no improvement.

Have you tried applying a screen protector film? That often serves to
hide small scuffs because it stops the ambient light reflecting on,
and therefore highlighting them.

It will also help to prevent further damage.

Old January 29th 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dennis Pogson

irwell wrote:
The LCD on my Sony has been scuffed, the
surface does not appear to be damaged
and the image shows up without any distortion.

I tried some Isopropyl gently applied
but no improvement.

Toothpaste and patience.

Old January 29th 07, 08:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 07:50:04 -0800, irwell wrote:

The LCD on my Sony has been scuffed, the
surface does not appear to be damaged
and the image shows up without any distortion.

I tried some Isopropyl gently applied
but no improvement.

Believe it or not but Brasso is the ideal solution for scratches
on LCD screens, DVD's, watches ect.
Old January 30th 07, 01:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

irwell wrote:
The LCD on my Sony has been scuffed, the
surface does not appear to be damaged
and the image shows up without any distortion.

I tried some Isopropyl gently applied
but no improvement.

I'd place a surface protection sheet on it.
These will often hide scuffs and small scratches by essentially "filling in"
the imperfection with it's application material. I've done this on other
non-camera screens...

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old January 30th 07, 01:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mike Russell

"irwell" wrote in message

The LCD on my Sony has been scuffed, the
surface does not appear to be damaged
and the image shows up without any distortion.

I tried some Isopropyl gently applied
but no improvement.

The toothpaste suggestion is a good one. Water based silver polish will
also work. If you have a tap plastics shop nearby, they have various grades
of plastic polishing compound, you probably want Novus 2, that will do a
complete repair. Get a microfiber cloth too.
http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=113

I would not recommend Brasso since it contains solvents that might get
inside the camera.
--
Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/

Old January 30th 07, 05:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Richard H.

irwell wrote:

The LCD on my Sony has been scuffed, the
surface does not appear to be damaged
and the image shows up without any distortion.

Your local hobby shop will carry a plastic polishing compound made by
Tamiya. One of its uses is polishing clear plastic parts.
http://www.tamiyausa.com/search.php?...shing+compound

It comes in 3 grits that will cost you ~USD$17 for all 3 - more
expensive than the polish Mike Russell suggested, but it might be more
easily found. You need to ask around for a "serious" hobby shop and
call ahead (i.e., not a toy store in the mall).

I've used it to get scuffs out of cellphone screens, among other things.
It contains a bit of solvent, but is a paste and cleans up with water.

Cheers,
Richard
Old January 30th 07, 06:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Ellwood

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 15:19:23 -0500, tnom wrote:

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 07:50:04 -0800, irwell wrote:

The LCD on my Sony has been scuffed, the
surface does not appear to be damaged
and the image shows up without any distortion.

I tried some Isopropyl gently applied
but no improvement.

Believe it or not but Brasso is the ideal solution for scratches
on LCD screens, DVD's, watches ect.

Brasso is too coarse - try a good toothpaste as it is a much gentler
abrasive.

--
Neil
Reverse 'r' and 'a', delete 'l' for email.