l-ion batteries

Old January 28th 07, 05:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
King Sardon

Default l-ion batteries

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 10:03:32 -0500, wrote:

Never deep discharge A Li-ion battery

Always deep discharge Li-ion batteries when they are new. Do it for
around 3 cycles. This improves their ability to hold a good charge.

KS
Old January 28th 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Cgiorgio

schrieb im Newsbeitrag
ups.com...

Is there a resource somewhere on the care and feeding of l-ion
batteries? I searched and struck out.

advTHANKSance

Try: http://www.batteryuniversity.com/

Old January 28th 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On 27 Jan 2007 20:26:01 -0800, "
wrote:

Some of the marketing doc sez the l-ions can be recharged hundreds of
times. For me it is 20. I see two possibilities:
1) The marketing doc is exaggerating (no! really?)
2) I'm doing something wrong

Is there a resource somewhere on the care and feeding of l-ion
batteries? I searched and struck out.

advTHANKSance

This will answer your question directly.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm
Old January 28th 07, 06:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Tuthill

ASAAR wrote:

Some people have claimed 500 full charges, but that's very
unlikely for most people. Many iPod owners have had batteries wear
down in less than a year and I doubt that they averaged nearly two
full charges per day for almost a year... suffice it to say,
Li-Ion batteries aren't as ideal as some people think.

Don't let SMS read your post!

This is very bad news. My daughter's iPod battery just failed, the
warranty has expired, the battery does not seem to be field replaceable,
and she can't afford a new iPod. Aha! A mere $59 for Apple to send a
replacement unit, great. I wonder if Apple re-downloads all the music.

Most of the literature I've seen indicates that for typical use,
Li-Ion batteries should last for about 2 to 3 years or 300 charge
cycles, whichever come first. But there are several different types
of Li-Ion formulations, and they won't all have the same
characteristics.

The Toyota Prius attempts to keep its NiMH battery pack between
3/8 and 7/8 full. I don't know how 1/8 is defined other than by
the graph that appears on the console. In any case, some early
Priuses (sold in Japan) have lasted 10 years with original battery.

Old January 28th 07, 07:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Just D

"Ron Hunter"
I have a laptop that is approaching 3 years old, but the lithium Ion
battery still seems ok. I suppose that may be because I only rarely use
it on battery, so battery use has been pretty light.

When I was using my previous laptop very aggressively the battery died in
1-1.5 yr. That's usual for these batteries. The laptop that was in use
before that, got the same problem - in one year the battery significantly
lost its power from 1.5-2.5 hr of work to ~10-15 minutes, in 1.5 years it
just died. The latest laptop that I'm using was bought by the company. Hell,
it's Dell! I use the docking station with DVI support and I keep the battery
in (sorry, guys) in the fireplace which is the safest place in the whole
house if this battery suddenly starts burning. Dell and then some other
companies got a huge problem a few months with their batteries and I decided
even if my battery serial number is not in the battery list to be recalled,
it's safer to keep it somewhere when it's not really required. It's still
alive, I use it sometimes for my short trips and it's still able to support
this Dell for longer than 4-4.5 hours.

Couple words about latest AAA. It looks very strange to me, all previous
generations of the similar rechargeable with up to 1800 mAh capacity fully
charged were able to be kept for at least a few days before I inserted them
into devices for using. The latest 1950, 2100 and 3200 mAh batteries just
die in a few hours, maximum day after charging. What's that? Current leak?
Defective batteries? I tried a few respectful brands taken from the
respectful stores in the USA, same problem. I'm not using any extrafast
Chinese charger, my latest one was made by Sony, it's intelligent, able to
charge up to 4 batteries, all separately with it's own indicator, LCD screen
control, refresh feature, etc. Is anybody else having similar problems with
his MH rechargeable?

Just wondering about current cars using batteries... Honda promises that
their rechargeable battery will work for 8 years... Right now, it's the same
MH combination and I believe that it will die in the best case scenario in
couple years of hard work. So does it worth to buy these cars saving money
for the gas and then paying for a new battery? Interesting... Sorry, I
realize that this is the wrong subj for this NG, so ignore it if have
nothing else to say.

Just D.

Old January 28th 07, 07:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Always deep discharge Li-ion batteries when they are new. Do it for
around 3 cycles. This improves their ability to hold a good charge.

KS

I have to differ. Deep discharging a Li-ion has no benefit. It can
only reduce the capacity of a Li-ion or destroy it.

I said, when they are new. There is a standard break-in that you need
to do on new Li-ions, and it includes deep discharge cycles.

KS

Please site your reference.

There is no "standard break in" for a Li-ion that includes deep
discharging.

You must understand that deep discharging is different than
discharging. Unnecessary discharging even when new just for the
sake of discharging is ultimately wasteful as all Li-ion batteries
have a limited number of charge cycles. Why waste them.

Li-ion batteries prefer shallow cycling rather than deeper cycling.
Li-ions degrade with heat. Li-ion's degrade with time.

Batteries Charger VS Batteries capacity [email protected] Digital Photography 15 November 25th 06 05:42 AM
batteries Maurice Hood Digital Photography 0 August 14th 06 09:03 PM
Batteries irwell Digital Photography 2 June 29th 06 06:21 PM
FAQ & batteries M. Damerell Digital Photography 0 March 16th 06 08:59 PM
AA batteries Joe-46er Digital Photography 54 November 16th 04 02:58 PM