SDHC cards

Old June 29th 08, 10:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paulo Almeida

Default SDHC cards

Hi,

Anybody has any opinion regarding the SDHC cards on the market?
With the new class classification (Class 2, 4 and 6) one can know the
minimum speed but what about the real speed?
For example, the Kingston 8GB SDHC Class 6 SD HC and the
SanDisk Ultra II SDHC 8GB which is also a class 6 card. Which one is better?
How can I compare the two if I don't know the real speed,
or at least a X measure, like 120x.

TIA

Paulo Almeida

Old June 30th 08, 05:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Blinky the Shark

Paulo Almeida wrote:

Hi,

Anybody has any opinion regarding the SDHC cards on the market?
With the new class classification (Class 2, 4 and 6) one can know the
minimum speed but what about the real speed?
For example, the Kingston 8GB SDHC Class 6 SD HC and the
SanDisk Ultra II SDHC 8GB which is also a class 6 card. Which one is better?
How can I compare the two if I don't know the real speed,
or at least a X measure, like 120x.

Any help here?

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/rea...?cid=6007-9438

--
Blinky
Is your ISP dropping Usenet?

Old July 1st 08, 01:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Not4wood

First of all, the Ultra II is a Class 4 and is not as fast as the Extreme
III SDHC card which is a class 6.

If you want speed, the Extreme III is a bit faster in both when the camera
downloads the Image to the card and when your uploading to the puter. Its
also tested for a higher tolerance in extreme weather conditions like both
colder and hotter temps. Whether its true or not doesnt matter, they give a
warrenty and also I have gotten a small CD with an image recovery program as
a just in case I guess. Till now, I have never needed to use there program
and I've never had a problem with any of my cards. I have the old normal
slow SD, several Ultra II's and several Extreme III cards in both 2gigs and
4 gigs.

Just remember to always format your cards in the Camera you have and never
ever Format these cards from your Computer. Doing this will keep your cards
in great shape and as long as you make sure to turn your camera off when
your inserting and pulling your mem cards and you shouldn't have a problem.

Mark G
Not4wood

Old July 1st 08, 07:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Douglas Johnson[_2_]

"Not4wood" wrote:

Just remember to always format your cards in the Camera you have and never
ever Format these cards from your Computer. Doing this will keep your cards
in great shape ....

Why does this matter?
-- Doug
Old July 1st 08, 07:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jürgen Exner

"Not4wood" wrote:
Just remember to always format your cards in the Camera you have and never
ever Format these cards from your Computer.

Why? Unless the camera creates a non-standard file system it doesn't
matter one bit who creates that file system.
And if the camera does create a non-compliant file system then you may
want to question the sanity of the camera manufacturer as well as the
compatibility with your OS and/or computer.

and as long as you make sure to turn your camera off when
your inserting and pulling your mem cards and you shouldn't have a problem.

Yepp, an easy to make mistake.

jue
Old July 1st 08, 08:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_5_]

Douglas Johnson wrote:
"Not4wood" wrote:

Just remember to always format your cards in the Camera you have and
never ever Format these cards from your Computer. Doing this will
keep your cards in great shape ....

Why does this matter?
-- Doug

Because the computer may create a file system which the camera does not
understand - such as FAT32 or NTFS, or create hidden "recovery" files or
directories which reduce card capacity. Safest and simplest to always
format in the camera.

David

Old July 4th 08, 07:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Allen

On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 18:46:13 +0000, Jürgen Exner wrote:

"Not4wood" wrote:
Just remember to always format your cards in the Camera you have and
never ever Format these cards from your Computer.

Why? Unless the camera creates a non-standard file system it doesn't
matter one bit who creates that file system. And if the camera does
create a non-compliant file system then you may want to question the
sanity of the camera manufacturer as well as the compatibility with your
OS and/or computer.

It's not a matter of compliance with standards. If cameras were
creating non-compliant filesystems, computers wouldn't be able to
read them and there'd be a big stink about it.

The issue is that it is absolutely not the camera firmware's
job to understand every possible filesystem variation it might
stumble across. It's got much bigger fish to fry than that.
The only thing it really has to do is understand the particular
bits that it writes to the card. You might get away with formatting
outside the camera with certain cameras, and with certain sized
cards. In the general case, doing this is asking for trouble.

Paul Allen