Butterfly Migration - So. California

Old March 27th 05, 08:53 PM
steve

Default Butterfly Migration - So. California

I have been seeing swarms of butterflies migrating North through North
Orange County, California the last two days. Seems like a larger than
normal sized migration -- I cannot recall ever seeing this many before.

Although I have not been able to identify the particular species I don't
think they are Monarchs because they seem too small. Colors are black
and orange although it is difficult to get a good view because they
don't seem to land ever. These guys are very determined to get to where
they are going.

If I can manage to take a photo of one I will post it.

Anyone else seeing them? Maybe we can figure out where they are going.

Steve

Old March 27th 05, 09:23 PM
Ken

"steve" wrote in message ...
I have been seeing swarms of butterflies migrating North through North
Orange County, California the last two days. Seems like a larger than
normal sized migration -- I cannot recall ever seeing this many before.

Although I have not been able to identify the particular species I don't
think they are Monarchs because they seem too small. Colors are black
and orange although it is difficult to get a good view because they
don't seem to land ever. These guys are very determined to get to where
they are going.

If I can manage to take a photo of one I will post it.

Anyone else seeing them? Maybe we can figure out where they are going.

I've been seeing them in droves for the past couple of weeks in the N.E. Anaheim
area, all heading in a northerly direction. I have had trouble identifying them, too, if
that is any solace I concur that they don't look like Monarchs. Too light in color.

Old March 27th 05, 09:30 PM
Dewg

This is amazing. I've lived in Orange County for over 20 years and
I've never seen THIS many butterflies. It's eerie. All heading North.
I'm going to start reading up on the signs of the apocalypse - cuz
damn.

Old March 27th 05, 09:54 PM
paul

I saw a whole heck of a lot of Painted Ladies from Bakersfield to Mohave
making a mess of my windshield a couple weeks ago. I don't know if they
were migrating.
http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php...ave&PG=2&PIC=6
http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php...ave&PG=2&PIC=7

Hmm:
http://www.sdnhm.org/fieldguide/inve...intedlady.html
"They survive through the winter in the southwestern United States, Baja
California, and Sonora. Farther north, the first frost destroys the
populations and might stimulate some to migrate south for the winter,
but this does not happen regularly.

If adequate rain occurs in the winter it can stimulate a northerly
dispersal and repopulation of the butterflies in the United States,
Canada, and Iceland. This spring dispersal can sometimes be quite
phenomenal, with millions moving through a region over a seven to eight
week period. They come to rest for a quick nectar break on a diversity
of plants before continuing their northward movement."

Old March 27th 05, 10:15 PM
steve

I think you might have hit the nail on the head (or the butterfly with
the windshield, as the case may be). They look a lot like painted ladies.

Thanks Paul