Sandhill Crane Migration - Platte, Neb?

Old February 19th 05, 08:33 PM
Mallwyd

Default Sandhill Crane Migration - Platte, Neb?

It appears the birds are beginning to leave Bosque and will likely be flying
the coop next week. The cranes stop along the Platte, apparently near
Kearny NE to gain strength for the final move north. I sounds like the
viewing isn't as great, at least not as convenient, as Bosque and I wonder
if anyone has any comments or experiences.

Thanks,

Rusty
www.horsenhounds.com

Old February 19th 05, 11:42 PM

Mallwyd wrote:
It appears the birds are beginning to leave Bosque and will likely be flying
the coop next week. The cranes stop along the Platte, apparently near
Kearny NE to gain strength for the final move north. I sounds like the
viewing isn't as great, at least not as convenient, as Bosque and I wonder
if anyone has any comments or experiences.

Thanks,

Rusty
www.horsenhounds.com

Rusty,
I have not been to Kearny to see the cranes, but I have
researched it a fair amount, and I've been to Bosque
numerous times. The cranes from Bosque are
not the same birds as the Nebraska group. The Nebraska
birds come from the Texas region. The Bosque birds
go up through Colorado. There are only 12,000 or so
Bosque birds, but around 150,000 Nebraska birds,
or 10 times what you see at Bosque.

The Nebraska birds seem to be more skittish so you
can't get as close, unless you rent a blind, which
means you go in before the birds come back each evening,
and can't leave until they take off the next day.

You can get some pretty amazing "lot's of birds in
one frame" kind of images, but not as close up
bird is full frame as you can at Bosque.

Roger
Photos at: http://www.clarkvision.com

Old March 2nd 05, 07:12 PM
Mallwyd

Just returned from Bosque. It appeared the Geese were trying hard to leave
on Monday and can't speak to the Cranes. Weather has held them down for the
past week and I saw some Geese heading North Sunday, only to see them drop
and return.

Great trip - no surprise to anyone that has been there!

Cheers,

Rusty