D80: memory card..

Old December 20th 07, 02:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Not4wood

Default memory card..

As far as I know, the D80 can manage the 4GB SDHC card. Does anybody know
if the D80 can handle anything larger then 4GB or even the Ultra III??

I do understand the theory about not having all your eggs in one basket, but
with todays technology as long as you turn off your camera before pulling
the card there shouldn't be any problems with a larger then 4GB memory card
or a faster card. I just don't know any facts for the D80.

Thanks in advance.

Not4wood

"Frank Arthur" wrote in message
news
Memory card speed is the card's performance with regard to how quickly
data can be transferred to or from it. The card speed is often stated
in -Times- ratings i.e. 12X, 40X etc (just as the speed of recordable CD's
and DVD's is measured), and sometimes more specifically in megabytes per
second (Mb/s). By today's measure, sub 20X represents a standard speed,
20X to 40X is mid-high speed and over 40X is high speed. The chart below
shows the relationship between the two figures.

8X = 1.2 Mb/sec
12X = 1.8 Mb/sec
20X = 3.0 Mb/sec
25X = 3.8 Mb/sec
30X = 4.5 Mb/sec
40X = 6.0 Mb/sec
60X = 9.0 Mb/sec
66X = 10.0 Mb/sec
80X = 12.0 Mb/sec
90X = 15.0 Mb/sec
133X = 20.0 Mb/sec

"maya" wrote in message
hi,

I just purchased this card for my Nikon D80..
http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item...ce_Card.as px
is it ok?? I know it's ok for Nikon D80, just making sure I purchased
the best 4GB card I could purchase; not many choices @ Circuity City
(have to purchase there, locally, b/c am traveling abroad in 2 days and
b/c have credit there....

b/c I see at SanDisk they also have this one,
http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item..._SDHC_4GB.aspx
would it be better?

(not sure if they have 2nd one at Circuit City..... but well, just making
sure card I purchased is ok...)

thank you..

Old December 20th 07, 04:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Brent Geery

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 02:46:08 GMT, "Not4wood"
wrote:

As far as I know, the D80 can manage the 4GB SDHC card. Does anybody know
if the D80 can handle anything larger then 4GB or even the Ultra III??

I do understand the theory about not having all your eggs in one basket, but
with todays technology as long as you turn off your camera before pulling
the card there shouldn't be any problems with a larger then 4GB memory card
or a faster card. I just don't know any facts for the D80.

Thanks in advance.

Not4wood

I use a 8GB SDHC in my D80. In theory, it should be good all the way
to 32GB.
Old December 21st 07, 02:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Not4wood

I just read on a Nikon Site that as long as the camera (in our case the D80)
can read the SDHC it can also handle the Ultra III. Also, I just saw on the
same site that there is now a 16GB SDHC card but people have been
complaining its a bit expensive and would rather go for 2 8GB cards instead.
I don't know, shooting in Raw eats up memory big time and a large card like
these sounds real interesting..

An SD 8 or even a 16 GB card by the brand Transcend is supposed to have very
fast write and read times but I've never seen it in my area. Has anybody
seen these or even used them??

Not4wood

Old December 21st 07, 05:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Brent Geery

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 02:02:06 GMT, "Not4wood"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

An 8GB card will get you about 650 RAW shots. Plenty for full day of
shooting. 16gb would be 1300 shots!

When I went shopping for a 8GB SDHC card, I went with Transcend
TS8GSDHC6 because I know they make quality cards. Just make sure you
don't get a counterfeit (they are out there.) There is now a class 8
(150X) card out there (17mb/s write vs. 7 mb/s for class 6.)

Check out the following, for both class 6 and 8 cards
http://www.buymemory.com/products/pr...ckage=Flash#26