X-T2 @ Yosemite Today SOOC

Old May 19th 17, 04:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default X-T2 @ Yosemite Today SOOC

Savageduck wrote:

I am here to serve and entertain. ;-)

but not protect?
Old May 19th 17, 04:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-05-19 03:15:18 +0000, nospam said:

Savageduck wrote:

I am here to serve and entertain. ;-)

but not protect?

I retired.

Savageduck

Old May 19th 17, 05:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 18 May 2017 17:25:06 -0700, Savageduck

On 2017-05-18 23:43:07 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

On Wed, 17 May 2017 21:56:22 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

Here is the RAF if you care to try.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pj7bmsr7vabc9dt/_DSF4603.raf

For some reason none of my (up todate) Adobe CC software can open that
file. :-(

That is odd, since PS CC/LR CC - ACR has been able to handle (open)
Fujifilm X-T2 RAF files since August 2016. I would check on your
updates.

Brand new as of this morning. I will keep trying.

Adobe has even added the two most recent RAF formats for the X100F and
the MF GXR in their most recent CC updates for ACR 35 days ago, and I
have the latest PS CC (2017) update as just 14 days ago.

Eric Stevens
Old May 19th 17, 05:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 2017-05-18 04:49:46 +0000, Bill W said:

On Thu, 18 May 2017 00:37:33 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 5/18/2017 12:07 AM, Bill W wrote:
On Thu, 18 May 2017 15:55:30 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:

There is more to it than that. The colors look slightly off and the
lightin is peculiar. I have had a quick go at one of your shots with
Photoshop although this required dabbling in unfamiliar territory. See
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6dbcdd34m...3-EES.jpg?dl=0

Now the sky is purple...

Hmm.
Talk about ambiguity.
Song, or LGBT?

Nah, I'm a boring person. It's neither, just an objective comment. I
wish I could do better...

Here is the RAF if you care to try.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pj7bmsr7vabc9dt/_DSF4603.raf

For some reason none of my (up todate) Adobe CC software can open that
file. :-(

I downloaded it once more and this time it works. Here is quick dash
with Light Room. I used the dehaze filter and some fiddling with color
temperature.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3kaynb57vi...-4603.jpg?dl=0

This appears to me to be significantly different from the original
SOOC image.

Just for the fun of it, I set one of my monitors up to sRGB and left
the other at AdobeRGB. I edited the image first on AdobeRGB and then
viewed it on sRGB. I didn't like it at all. I then had to re-edit it
on sRGB which improved it but it did not look quite the same as the
original AdobeRGB. The major changes were in colour temperature. I
much preferred the AdobeRGB version but as few people will have their
monitors set up for that, this one is the sRGB.

Eric Stevens
Old May 19th 17, 06:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 18 May 2017 22:56:43 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 5/18/2017 10:41 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On May 18, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

wrote:

There is more to it than that. The colors look slightly off and the
lightin is peculiar. I have had a quick go at one of your shots
with
Photoshop although this required dabbling in unfamiliar
territory. See
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6dbcdd34m...3-EES.jpg?dl=0

Now the sky is purple...

Hmm.
Talk about ambiguity.
Song, or LGBT?

Nah, I'm a boring person. It's neither, just an objective comment. I
wish I could do better...

Here is the RAF if you care to try.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pj7bmsr7vabc9dt/_DSF4603.raf

For some reason none of my (up todate) Adobe CC software can open that
file. :-(

I had no issue with that.
What I do have an issue with is the blocking in the shadow areas. The
BW conversion was done using NIK.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jm920a15es..._DSF4603.jpg?d
l=0

While the B&W conversion might have been done using NIK (I assume Silver
Efex Pro2), what else did you do to create that Mess?
Specialized Peter sharpening perhaps?

Sharpening was 4.2. Your version has no black and is far too flat. My
issue is that as soon as I went for a bit more black, I had blocking. I
suspect that the DR is too much without using some form of tone mapping
to avoid this. Anyway, I am really tired as I have been up since 4:00
AM. I was recently diagnosed with COPD and went through a battery of
testing.

Sorry to hear that.

Just something I will learn to live with.

Is that a general COPD, or something specific?

We don't know yet.

What sort of prognosis for arresting progression with therapy?

From my understanding, it cannot be reversed, just symptomatic
treatment to slow the progression.

You have my sympathy. I have been suffereing from it in a mild way for
many years. Fortunately only my right lung is significantly affected
and even then it is not too bad. Welcome to Anno Domini.

Were you ever, or are you a smoker?

I have not touched tobacco in over thirty five years. I suspect it is
from second hand smoke.

I would have gone about a B&W conversion with a somewhat lighter hand,
even with NIK Silver Efex Pro2.
This rendition was done in LR CC + NIK Silver Efex Pro2:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t03g89o9psq61te/DSF4603-E2.jpg

Eric Stevens
Old May 19th 17, 06:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

I understand that you just used dehaze and temperature adjustments, but
the entire color balance seems out of whack to me. I also understand
that you haven't visited Yosemite, and are not familiar with the
character of the rock in the Sierra.

The dehaze does a contrast push which emphasizes saturation. Then add,
what to my eye is way too much warming, and it becomes unnatural and
garish. When I said that is was a subdued, and overcast day I meant it.

This appears to me to be significantly different from the original
SOOC image.

It is.

Just for the fun of it, I set one of my monitors up to sRGB and left
the other at AdobeRGB. I edited the image first on AdobeRGB and then
viewed it on sRGB. I didn't like it at all. I then had to re-edit it
on sRGB which improved it but it did not look quite the same as the
original AdobeRGB. The major changes were in colour temperature. I
much preferred the AdobeRGB version but as few people will have their
monitors set up for that, this one is the sRGB.

Anyway, you have the RAF to play with, see where a different approach
might lead you.

Savageduck

Old May 19th 17, 06:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

It might be surprising, but things for that shot were closer to the
SOOC, which really only needed some minor subtle tweaks without pushing
for a saturation and color which isn't there.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o5wkpz8rpi2dkoz/DSF4603-E3.jpg

Savageduck

Old May 19th 17, 10:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

[...]

That is a problem.

The dehaze does a contrast push which emphasizes saturation. Then add,
what to my eye is way too much warming, and it becomes unnatural and
garish. When I said that is was a subdued, and overcast day I meant it.

All I had to go by was the color of the trees in the foreground.

This appears to me to be significantly different from the original
SOOC image.

It is.

Just for the fun of it, I set one of my monitors up to sRGB and left
the other at AdobeRGB. I edited the image first on AdobeRGB and then
viewed it on sRGB. I didn't like it at all. I then had to re-edit it
on sRGB which improved it but it did not look quite the same as the
original AdobeRGB. The major changes were in colour temperature. I
much preferred the AdobeRGB version but as few people will have their
monitors set up for that, this one is the sRGB.

Anyway, you have the RAF to play with, see where a different approach
might lead you.

Not much point me trying to set colors by guesswork.

Eric Stevens
Old May 19th 17, 10:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 18 May 2017 22:45:24 -0700, Savageduck

wrote:

[...]

Those trees look convincing.

Eric Stevens
Old May 19th 17, 10:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 5/18/2017 10:49 PM, Bill W wrote:
On Thu, 18 May 2017 22:46:09 -0400, PeterN

On 2017-05-19 02:26:04 +0000, PeterN
said:

On 5/18/2017 8:35 PM, Bill W wrote:

snip

Good to hear. I usually go for accuracy, but decided to just go with
what I felt looked nice to my eye.

I go for impression, rarely for accuracy.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t2quthg7matfxs8/Boron%20Botanical1filtered.jpg?dl=0

Your are, if nothing else, artistically predictable. ;-)

My impression of a Chihuly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r8w53i3y3m9cv8m/Dale%20Chihuly1.jpg?dl=0

That man belongs in art prison for fraud.

You may not like it, but it is art. He has a major exhibit at the BBG.

--
PeterN