Is Your Browser Color Managed?

Old May 19th 17, 08:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gray_Wolf

Default Is Your Browser Color Managed?

Interesting but page is 5 years old

https://petapixel.com/2012/06/25/is-...color-managed/
Old May 19th 17, 09:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 19 May 2017 02:12:41 -0500, gray_wolf
wrote:

Interesting but page is 5 years old

https://petapixel.com/2012/06/25/is-...color-managed/

My browser is Firefox and I believe it is color managed.

My monitors have been color magaed since before that article was
written - except for now while I wait for the necessary X-Rite i1 to
manage my new monitors. Nevertheless, I believe them to be fairly
accurately managed for whatevere color profile I may choose for them.

Eric Stevens
Old May 20th 17, 06:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"Eric Stevens" wrote

| My browser is Firefox and I believe it is color managed.

Still a small factor, I think. People have different
OSs, different monitors, different monitor settings...
If a page depends on the browser recognizing color
profiles then the webmaster doesn't know what
they're doing. Webpages are simply not designed
for that kind of precision. Nor are computers, for
that matter. It's one thing to calibrate your own
computer to your printer. It's another to expect
that you can pass on that accuracy to someone
else's machine.

Interestingly, when I first went to that page I
saw the yellow car. I then tried changing the Firefox
pref for gfx.color_management.mode, trying to
figure out what prefs might affect the display, but
nothing changed. Actually, I tried the setting to
always apply color management. Today I see the
purple car in both Firefox and Pale Moon. Yet it
was only in PM that I made any settings change
in the first place, and I later changed that back
to the setting to only apply color management for
tagged images.

I also see a purple car when I download the image
and view it with various software. The author didn't
explain how the purple vs yellow shows. When I look
at the image bytes I see a simple JFIF, no EXIF data.

Old May 20th 17, 06:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| My browser is Firefox and I believe it is color managed.

Still a small factor, I think. People have different
OSs, different monitors, different monitor settings...

exactly the problem that colour management solves.

If a page depends on the browser recognizing color
profiles then the webmaster doesn't know what
they're doing.

nonsense.

it show that the webmaster *does* know what they're doing and that they
want people to see accurate images, which is why the images have
embedded profiles.

Webpages are simply not designed
for that kind of precision.

your webpages might not be, but plenty are.

Nor are computers, for
that matter.

nonsense.

It's one thing to calibrate your own
computer to your printer.

and the wrong way to do it.

It's another to expect
that you can pass on that accuracy to someone
else's machine.

something which works quite well.
Old May 20th 17, 07:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
dale

On 5/20/17 1:47 PM, Mayayana wrote:
I also see a purple car when I download the image
and view it with various software. The author didn't
explain how the purple vs yellow shows. When I look
at the image bytes I see a simple JFIF, no EXIF data.

png and tiff support embedded profiles

might be nice to embed abstract profiles of the edits, in addition, that
way you always have the original to purpose otherwise

--
dale | http://www.dalekelly.org
Old May 20th 17, 07:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
dale

On 5/20/17 2:02 PM, dale wrote:
On 5/20/17 1:47 PM, Mayayana wrote:
I also see a purple car when I download the image
and view it with various software. The author didn't
explain how the purple vs yellow shows. When I look
at the image bytes I see a simple JFIF, no EXIF data.

png and tiff support embedded profiles

might be nice to embed abstract profiles of the edits, in addition, that
way you always have the original to purpose otherwise

might be a good archival solution

--
dale | http://www.dalekelly.org
Old May 21st 17, 03:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

"Eric Stevens" wrote

Why did you write that, even after snipping the bit where I wrote:

"My monitors have been color magaed since before that article was
written - except for now while I wait for the necessary X-Rite i1
to manage my new monitors. Nevertheless, I believe them to be
fairly accurately managed for whatevere color profile I may choose
for them."

My monitor settings are as close to right as I can get them.

If a page depends on the browser recognizing color
profiles then the webmaster doesn't know what
they're doing. Webpages are simply not designed
for that kind of precision.

Of course not! Any old splash of color will do.

Nor are computers, for
that matter. It's one thing to calibrate your own
computer to your printer.

You are giving a very strong impression of somebody who has not even
the foggiest idea of what they are talking about. Only a complete
innocent would try to get their printer colors right by doing things
to their computer. They do things *with* their computer so as to send
the correct color signals to their printer. This requires that first
the printer, the paper in use and the ink, be used to derive a color
profile for the printing.

It's another to expect
that you can pass on that accuracy to someone
else's machine.

Of course you can, if that other machine is properly calibrated and
color managed.

Interestingly, when I first went to that page I
saw the yellow car. I then tried changing the Firefox
pref for gfx.color_management.mode, trying to
figure out what prefs might affect the display, but
nothing changed. Actually, I tried the setting to
always apply color management. Today I see the
purple car in both Firefox and Pale Moon. Yet it
was only in PM that I made any settings change
in the first place, and I later changed that back
to the setting to only apply color management for
tagged images.

Your problem is that you don't understand what you are doing. Fiddling
with settings is not the answer.

Old May 21st 17, 04:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"Eric Stevens" wrote

| Still a small factor, I think. People have different
| OSs, different monitors, different monitor settings...
|
| Why did you write that, even after snipping the bit where I wrote:
|
| "My monitors have been color magaed since before that article was
| written - except for now while I wait for the necessary X-Rite i1
| to manage my new monitors. Nevertheless, I believe them to be
| fairly accurately managed for whatevere color profile I may choose
| for them."
|
| My monitor settings are as close to right as I can get them.

I wasn't talking about that. My point was the
part that *you* snipped.

"It's one thing to calibrate your own
computer to your printer. It's another to expect
that you can pass on that accuracy to someone
else's machine."

In other words, when dealing with graphics on your
own machine, calibration is relevant. When dealing
with webpages or transferring graphics, one just
has to settle for a range. Browser, OS, monitor,
settings, graphics driver, a and of course a person's
vision will all affect what's seen. You can only adjust
for your own view. (Most monitors I see default to
too much saturation and too bright. I don't know why.
I'm guessing the device companies are trying to wow
customers with "richness".)

Years ago there were web-safe colors to attempt
some kind of standard. Everyone agreed they'd try
to do their best to have those colors show the same
on all machines. They were the hex codes made up
of 00 33 66 99 CC FF. (0033FF, CC6699, etc) The
idea was that if you stuck with only those colors
you could sorta, kinda depend on people viewing your
webpage all seeing about the same colors. But even
that was just an approximation. Color is also relative
to lighting, surrounding colors, etc. Cream next to
orange looks white, while next to white it looks yellow.
Which is the real color?

So what I'm saying is, you can calibrate your devices
in order to print accurately what you see on your
monitor, but that's the only relevant calibration. Once
you send images to others, who view them on other
devices, all bets are off.

Old May 21st 17, 04:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

So what I'm saying is, you can calibrate your devices
in order to print accurately what you see on your
monitor, but that's the only relevant calibration. Once
you send images to others, who view them on other
devices, all bets are off.

what you're saying is wrong.
Old May 21st 17, 06:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 20 May 2017 23:11:50 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

"Eric Stevens" wrote

| Still a small factor, I think. People have different
| OSs, different monitors, different monitor settings...
|
| Why did you write that, even after snipping the bit where I wrote:
|
| "My monitors have been color magaed since before that article was
| written - except for now while I wait for the necessary X-Rite i1
| to manage my new monitors. Nevertheless, I believe them to be
| fairly accurately managed for whatevere color profile I may choose
| for them."
|
| My monitor settings are as close to right as I can get them.

I wasn't talking about that. My point was the
part that *you* snipped.

"It's one thing to calibrate your own
computer to your printer. It's another to expect
that you can pass on that accuracy to someone
else's machine."

I diodn't snip that. Its there in my reply. You can't see it in your
current reply because *you* snipped it.

Thats why devices such as http://www.datacolor.com/photography-design/
and http://tinyurl.com/lolsetm exist.

Years ago there were web-safe colors to attempt
some kind of standard. Everyone agreed they'd try
to do their best to have those colors show the same
on all machines. They were the hex codes made up
of 00 33 66 99 CC FF. (0033FF, CC6699, etc) The
idea was that if you stuck with only those colors
you could sorta, kinda depend on people viewing your
webpage all seeing about the same colors. But even
that was just an approximation. Color is also relative
to lighting, surrounding colors, etc. Cream next to
orange looks white, while next to white it looks yellow.
Which is the real color?

Web-safe colors are *ancient*. They date from the days when many
devices could only display 256 colors. See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_co...eb-safe_colors

So what I'm saying is, you can calibrate your devices
in order to print accurately what you see on your
monitor, but that's the only relevant calibration. Once
you send images to others, who view them on other
devices, all bets are off.

First, we are talking about photography, for which web colours are not
sufficient. Second all bets are off if you are sufficiently behind the
times to be not using a color-managed work flow with the color
profiles of calibrated equipment. See
http://www.brotherjet.com/support/wp...Management.jpg
and
https://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/pd...w_workflow.pdf