120 developing tank

Old February 5th 04, 04:37 PM

Default 120 developing tank

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 11:08:47 GMT, "Richard Knoppow"
wrote:
.... It has a large
diameter reel for 220 film, I think it may also take a reel
for 70mm film. They are not very common but I did see one
for sale at the Buena Park sale a few weeks ago.
This is not ideal for 12O because of the need for double
the amount of solution.

\

feb504 from Lloyd Erlick,

The ususal load of 70 mm film is fifteen feet long, most often
contained in a 70 mm film cassette that looks just like a magnified 35
mm cassette.

Would that fifteen feet of film fit on a spiral made the same diameter
as a 220 spiral?

I have three 70 mm developing reels made by Hewes. They are
magnificent specimens, and smooth to load and unload, but they are a
*lot* wider than any 220 reel I've seen.

However, a 70 mm spiral made to fit a 220 tank would be a wonderful
thing. Now is certainly the time to bring one to market, what with the
burgeoning popularity of 70mm film...

I actually do have a 70 mm developing reel that fits a regular 120/220
tank. It came with my adjustable JOBO hand inversion daylight tank,
which I bought new in 1968. The styrene plastic spiral is adjustable
to hold 127, 35mm, 120-220, and 70 mm (!). However, it will
accommodate only five feet of film, so it has a severe limitation for
70mm.

regards,
--le
_______________________________________
Lloyd Erlick Portraits,
2219 Gerrard Street East, unit #1,
Toronto M4E 2C8 Canada.
---
voice 416-686-0326

http://www.heylloyd.com
_______________________________________
Old February 5th 04, 06:32 PM
jjs

"Dennis O'Connor" wrote in message
A smaller reel will be worse yet... It may be that you are using excessive
tension while rolling... That will always cause a problem.. Also,

squeezing
the sides of the film to narrow it will cause problems...

If you can load 220 plus-x (how thin that stuff is!) on a 220 reel that fits
into a Nikkor 120 can, then you gotta be some kind of brain surgeon. Maybe
I've been using my hands as heavy equipment tools for too long, but I can't
do it.

Old February 5th 04, 08:17 PM
Dennis O'Connor

Nope, no can do... Don't even want to try... I was discussing I thought
120 film onto a 120 reel...
denny

Old February 5th 04, 11:07 PM
jjs

"Dennis O'Connor" wrote in message
Nope, no can do... Don't even want to try... I was discussing I thought
120 film onto a 120 reel...

OH! Like making a woman's size 12 shoe inside with a size 5 exterior. If we
could do that, we would be rich!

Old February 6th 04, 01:54 AM
Daniel ROCHA

M&M, à écrit :
I have a Nikor developing tank I use for processing a single 120
roll. The tank requires 1 liter of fluid.

Tank from Paterson and Jobo requires 500 ml, for one 120 !

--
-- Daniel Rocha Photographie --
http://www.monochromatique.com

Old February 6th 04, 09:48 PM
Alecj

OK, let's straighten this out.

First, is the tank you are referring to 4 1/2" in diameter? And, is it 3
1/2" tall [without the top]? If so, it holds a 220 reel. BUT, it will also
hold other reels designed for it - namely, 35mm "long roll" reels [also
called 6' reels]. Nikor made tanks for the larger 35mm reels in 2 sizes.
One [yours] holds 2 of those reels. They also made one for just one reel -
it is only 1 7/8" tall [still 4 1/2" diameter.]

I like and use these tanks and reels for 35mm processing since the reels
provide more separation between the windings and hold extra solution for
high dilution developer mixes.

Honeywell/Nikor made 220 reels in two sizes, one to fit the tank you have,
with more than adequate spacing between the windings, and one to fit regular
120 tanks [3 3/8" diameter, 3 1/4" high, again measured w/o the top on].
Those later reels should be avoided because of the restricted chemistry
volume.

Nikor also made "short roll" reels for 70mm, primarily designed for clip
tests or short photo sessions. Those reels are designed only for regular
120 tanks. For full 70 exp. 70mm film processing, the reel and tank are
much larger than those cited above.

So, for your 120 single reel processing with SS tanks, you want a tank 3
1/2" tall and 3 3/8" wide. The proper reel for that tank is 3 1/4" wide.

Hope that clears up THAT question. I agree the 220 tanks are not selling
well these days [for 220 use] but might also be sold for "long roll" 35mm
work. So, you have two proposed uses for your tank to add to your
sales/trade proposal.

"Nick Zentena" wrote in message

However, a 70 mm spiral made to fit a 220 tank would be a wonderful
thing. Now is certainly the time to bring one to market, what with the
burgeoning popularity of 70mm film...

I actually do have a 70 mm developing reel that fits a regular 120/220
tank. It came with my adjustable JOBO hand inversion daylight tank,
which I bought new in 1968. The styrene plastic spiral is adjustable
to hold 127, 35mm, 120-220, and 70 mm (!). However, it will
accommodate only five feet of film, so it has a severe limitation for
70mm.

The only new 70mm reels I know of are designed for things like Xray

film.
Or maybe it's something else they aren't from a photographic supplier. The
upside is they are fairly cheap [Less then $10 US] the downside is since
they aren't from a photographic supplier they don't fit any normal light
tight tanks. That leads to either making your own tanks or working in the
dark.

Personally I picked up a couple of tanks designed for up to 116/616
film. They cost $1 each and might have never been used. I wouldn't dare
claim the up to the standard of the best reels out there but I'm sure when

get around to actually using them they will be fine. It's a shame that

Jobo
doesn't sell thier 70mm reels anymore. Even if they only held 5 feet it
would have been a lot less hassle for me.

Nick