best learning resource?

Old January 27th 07, 02:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chuck Dubois

Default best learning resource?

What's the best how-to book on the Canon 20D?
Old January 27th 07, 02:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Annika1980

On Jan 26, 9:40 pm, Chuck Dubois wrote:
What's the best how-to book on the Canon 20D?

I'd start with the Owner's Manual.
What else do you need to know?

Old January 27th 07, 02:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chuck Dubois

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 18:45:32 -0800, Annika1980 wrote:

On Jan 26, 9:40 pm, Chuck Dubois wrote:
What's the best how-to book on the Canon 20D?

I'd start with the Owner's Manual.
What else do you need to know?

I was hoping to buy a college course style book. The best book would
assume no previous knowledge and go thru advanced subjects in a smooth
transition.

Old January 27th 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Annika1980

On Jan 26, 9:56 pm, Chuck Dubois wrote:
On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 18:45:32 -0800, Annika1980 wrote:

On Jan 26, 9:40 pm, Chuck Dubois wrote:
What's the best how-to book on the Canon 20D?

I'd start with the Owner's Manual.
What else do you need to know?I was hoping to buy a college course style book. The best book would

assume no previous knowledge and go thru advanced subjects in a smooth
transition.

A college course on using a camera? Dude, the 20D ain't that difficult
to use.
As George Bush says, "This ain't rocket surgery."

Old January 27th 07, 04:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

Chuck Dubois wrote:
What's the best how-to book on the Canon 20D?

The problem I have with this question is that I really don't understand
why anybody would want a whole book on a specific camera in the first
place. (Yes, I see the point of a reference manual like what's shipped
with the camera.)

Seems to me the best learning resource (as asked for in the subject, as
opposed to the different question you ask in the body) is something like
Ansel Adams' basic photo series, or perhaps something more modern.
Depending on what it is you really need to learn.

Very few of the interesting things that are the slightest bit hard to
learn are specific to any one camera.
Old January 27th 07, 05:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On 26 Jan 2007 19:51:07 -0800, Annika1980 wrote:

The best book would assume no previous knowledge and go thru advanced
subjects in a smooth transition.

A college course on using a camera? Dude, the 20D ain't that difficult
to use.
As George Bush says, "This ain't rocket surgery."

But such a book would make a great text for a Bush League course.
And then some might say that the "best how-to book on the Canon 20D"
would be titled "How To Painlessly Upgrade Your 20D to a 5D".

Old January 27th 07, 07:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Ellwood

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 00:09:44 -0500, ASAAR wrote:

On 26 Jan 2007 19:51:07 -0800, Annika1980 wrote:

The best book would assume no previous knowledge and go thru advanced
subjects in a smooth transition.

A college course on using a camera? Dude, the 20D ain't that difficult
to use.
As George Bush says, "This ain't rocket surgery."

But such a book would make a great text for a Bush League course.
And then some might say that the "best how-to book on the Canon 20D"
would be titled "How To Painlessly Upgrade Your 20D to a 5D".

That title would be a lie - the pocket would end up heavily bandaged.

--
Neil
Reverse 'r' and 'a', delete 'l' for email.
Old January 27th 07, 02:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chuck Dubois

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 22:35:35 -0600, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

Chuck Dubois wrote:
What's the best how-to book on the Canon 20D?

The problem I have with this question is that I really don't understand
why anybody would want a whole book on a specific camera in the first
place. (Yes, I see the point of a reference manual like what's shipped
with the camera.)

Seems to me the best learning resource (as asked for in the subject, as
opposed to the different question you ask in the body) is something like
Ansel Adams' basic photo series, or perhaps something more modern.
Depending on what it is you really need to learn.

Very few of the interesting things that are the slightest bit hard to
learn are specific to any one camera.

Ok, let's try this again.....What's the best "general purpose" learning
guide appliciple to a digital SLR like a 20D?

Old January 27th 07, 04:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Ellwood

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 08:14:49 -0600, Chuck Dubois wrote:

Ok, let's try this again.....What's the best "general purpose" learning
guide appliciple to a digital SLR like a 20D?

The manual and practice.

Old January 27th 07, 06:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Neil Ellwood wrote:
On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 08:14:49 -0600, Chuck Dubois wrote:

Ok, let's try this again.....What's the best "general purpose" learning
guide appliciple to a digital SLR like a 20D?

The manual and practice.

Are you brand new to photography, or just to digital, or to the 20D alone?

I'd browse my local library and see what clicks with you, until we have
a better picture of your knowledge and aspirations.

--
John McWilliams