Good results with Oly 4/3rds compared to Canon EF lenses?

Old January 26th 07, 12:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul D. Sullivan

Default Good results with Oly 4/3rds compared to Canon EF lenses?

I've been looking at some of the work some buds have been doing
with their cameras. One has a Canon and uses the same lenses on
his digicam that he used on his 35mm fim cam. Another has an
Olympus setup with the dedicated 4/3rds digital-only lens setup.

In visually comparing them side by side, it seems like the
Olympus setup is more "precise" and consistent edge to edge vs
the Canon.

I'm wondering if others are seeing this too, and if so, is it
because the Oly lenses are specifically tailored for their CCD
while the Canon was not designed to optimize the lens to their
CCD.

I'd appreciate any helpful discussion or input. I'm not sure
which way to commit when it comes to getting a DSLR, and I'd like
to have as much good info and opinion as possible.

Thanks

Old January 26th 07, 12:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

Paul D. Sullivan wrote:
I've been looking at some of the work some buds have been doing
with their cameras. One has a Canon and uses the same lenses on
his digicam that he used on his 35mm fim cam. Another has an
Olympus setup with the dedicated 4/3rds digital-only lens setup.

In visually comparing them side by side, it seems like the
Olympus setup is more "precise" and consistent edge to edge vs
the Canon.

Edge to edge...what?

I'm wondering if others are seeing this too, and if so, is it
because the Oly lenses are specifically tailored for their CCD
while the Canon was not designed to optimize the lens to their
CCD.

I'd appreciate any helpful discussion or input. I'm not sure
which way to commit when it comes to getting a DSLR, and I'd like
to have as much good info and opinion as possible.

There are SO many possible variables to the technique they may have used,
that this particular comparison you refer to is impossible to speculate
about without a lot more information.
www.pbase.com/markuson

Old January 26th 07, 01:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul D. Sullivan

In visually comparing them side by side, it seems like the
Olympus setup is more "precise" and consistent edge to edge vs
the Canon.

Edge to edge...what?

The finished digital image.

Old January 26th 07, 01:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

Paul D. Sullivan wrote:
In visually comparing them side by side, it seems like the
Olympus setup is more "precise" and consistent edge to edge vs
the Canon.

Edge to edge...what?

The finished digital image.

I should have asked, "consistently" what?
Focussed?
Colored?
Toned?
Noisy?

I'm not sure what it is you observed.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old January 26th 07, 02:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Doug Robbins

The Oly lenses are optimized for the 4/3 sensor. Plus the Canon kit lens
isn't one of their better efforts. I'm sure in image quality of the Canon
DSLRs improves with some better Canon glass on it.

Old January 26th 07, 03:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul D. Sullivan

Do all canon bodies that can accept those film lenses contain
CCD's that are the same size and in the same position?

Thanks for the reply.

Old January 26th 07, 04:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J. Littleboy

"Paul D. Sullivan" wrote:
Do all canon bodies that can accept those film lenses contain CCD's that
are the same size and in the same position?

No. Canon dSLRs use Canon-manufactured _CMOS_ sensors in one of three sizes:
24 x 36 mm ("FF" or "full frame"), 19.1 x 28.7 mm ("1.3x"), and 15.1 x 22.7
mm ("1.6x").

People who have worked with film in a variety of formats (sizes) realize
that larger formats offer a tradeoff: it's harder to create good images with
a larger format camera, but when you do get a good image, you get a much
better image than a smaller format camera would have acquired.

IMHO, the same is true in digital. Maybe it's easier to shoot with a 50/2.0
lens on a 4/3 camera, but the 5D with a 100/2.0 (a larger more expensive
lens) will produce better images when you put in the extra effort.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old January 26th 07, 06:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Don B

On Jan 26, 5:09 pm, "David J. Littleboy" wrote:
"Paul D. Sullivan" wrote:

Do all canon bodies that can accept those film lenses contain CCD's that
are the same size and in the same position?No. Canon dSLRs use Canon-manufactured _CMOS_ sensors in one of three sizes:

24 x 36 mm ("FF" or "full frame"), 19.1 x 28.7 mm ("1.3x"), and 15.1 x 22.7
mm ("1.6x").

People who have worked with film in a variety of formats (sizes) realize
that larger formats offer a tradeoff: it's harder to create good images with
a larger format camera, but when you do get a good image, you get a much
better image than a smaller format camera would have acquired.

IMHO, the same is true in digital. Maybe it's easier to shoot with a 50/2.0
lens on a 4/3 camera, but the 5D with a 100/2.0 (a larger more expensive
lens) will produce better images when you put in the extra effort.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

You have examples to support your 'theory', like the original poster?
Don

Old January 26th 07, 09:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon

In article , says...

In visually comparing them side by side, it seems like the
Olympus setup is more "precise" and consistent edge to edge vs
the Canon.

Edge to edge...what?

The finished digital image.

I should have asked, "consistently" what?
Focussed?
Colored?
Toned?
Noisy?

Obviously focused - he is talking about lenses. Lenses have no impact on
noise or colours.
--

Alfred Molon
Old January 26th 07, 09:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joan

What about CA?

--
Joan

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
:
: Obviously focused - he is talking about lenses. Lenses have no
impact on
: noise or colours.
: --
:
: Alfred Molon
: Olympus 50X0, 7070, 8080, E300, E330, E400 and E500 forum at
: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MyOlympus/
: Olympus E330 resource - http://myolympus.org/E330/