IrfanView - losing navigation

Old December 18th 06, 10:57 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Terry Pinnell

Default IrfanView - losing navigation

Bit of an odd one this, and I wonder if any other IrfanView users have
come across similar behaviour please? My usual casual browsing method
is to open a My Computer folder of JPGs and d-click the first one I
want to view. Then I'll either use the L or R arrow keys, or click
IV's arrow icons, to move to the next. But quite often nowadays I'm
finding the arrows have greyed, and the keys no longer navigate. I can
usually correct this by copying the entire folder with a new name, and
starting again.

It may well be some problem totally unrelated to the excellent
IrfanView. Particularly as I am also sometimes getting very slow
opening of my photo folders.

Any thoughts on possible causes would be appreciated please.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Old December 18th 06, 03:53 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Matt Ion

Terry Pinnell wrote:
Bit of an odd one this, and I wonder if any other IrfanView users have
come across similar behaviour please? My usual casual browsing method
is to open a My Computer folder of JPGs and d-click the first one I
want to view. Then I'll either use the L or R arrow keys, or click
IV's arrow icons, to move to the next. But quite often nowadays I'm
finding the arrows have greyed, and the keys no longer navigate. I can
usually correct this by copying the entire folder with a new name, and
starting again.

It may well be some problem totally unrelated to the excellent
IrfanView. Particularly as I am also sometimes getting very slow
opening of my photo folders.

Any thoughts on possible causes would be appreciated please.

My first suggestion would be to email Irfan, as I've always found him excellent
with support and quick to respond (just remember, for those of us in the New
World, that he's in Europe and thus a few hours ahead of us).

Old December 18th 06, 04:21 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Bucky Breeder

Terry Pinnell wrote in
:

Bit of an odd one this, and I wonder if any other IrfanView users have
come across similar behaviour please? My usual casual browsing method
is to open a My Computer folder of JPGs and d-click the first one I
want to view. Then I'll either use the L or R arrow keys, or click
IV's arrow icons, to move to the next. But quite often nowadays I'm
finding the arrows have greyed, and the keys no longer navigate. I can
usually correct this by copying the entire folder with a new name, and
starting again.

It may well be some problem totally unrelated to the excellent
IrfanView. Particularly as I am also sometimes getting very slow
opening of my photo folders.

Any thoughts on possible causes would be appreciated please.

You talking about the paid version or the free version? Could be if you
gave them your credit card number, they've tracked you down, and now
they're into your machine and browsing your picture folders? LOL!

Which version? Which plug-ins? How did you install/or upgrade?

Sometimes after several upgrades 'over-the-top' IrfanView would need to be
completely uninstalled and then reinstalled from scratch to eliminate some
small but irritating little bug that I would notice had surfaced after an
upgrade. Also, I use the 'all-the-plugins' pack installer, but those need
to match the version of IrfanView which you're using as well.

It would seem easy enough to download the latest (or favorite previous)
program and matching plug-ins, completely uninstall/reinstall, and check if
that resolves your issues.

If you're ever in a boxing match,
try not to let the other guy's glove touch your lips,
because you don't even know where
that glove has been.
Old December 18th 06, 05:30 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Don

Terry Pinnell wrote in
:

Bit of an odd one this, and I wonder if any other IrfanView users have
come across similar behaviour please? My usual casual browsing method
is to open a My Computer folder of JPGs and d-click the first one I
want to view. Then I'll either use the L or R arrow keys, or click
IV's arrow icons, to move to the next. But quite often nowadays I'm
finding the arrows have greyed, and the keys no longer navigate. I can
usually correct this by copying the entire folder with a new name, and
starting again.

It may well be some problem totally unrelated to the excellent
IrfanView. Particularly as I am also sometimes getting very slow
opening of my photo folders.

Any thoughts on possible causes would be appreciated please.

Absurd as it may sound?

Try emptying the Internet Explorer Temp/cache files.
You might also go into My Computer/Folders and clean up ALL Temp files.
Then empty Trash Can.
Then defrag your hard drive afterwards.
Old December 18th 06, 07:08 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
if

Terry Pinnell wrote:
It may well be some problem totally unrelated to the excellent
IrfanView. Particularly as I am also sometimes getting very slow
opening of my photo folders.

Try running scandisk or chkdisk, file system corruption can cause file
access to slow down a lot and may cause other problems too. Also I find
it's best not to have too many files in one directory - a few hundred is ok
but a thousand or more can cause sluggishness.
Old December 18th 06, 08:48 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Terry Pinnell

if wrote:

Terry Pinnell wrote:
It may well be some problem totally unrelated to the excellent
IrfanView. Particularly as I am also sometimes getting very slow
opening of my photo folders.

Try running scandisk or chkdisk, file system corruption can cause file
access to slow down a lot and may cause other problems too. Also I find
it's best not to have too many files in one directory - a few hundred is ok
but a thousand or more can cause sluggishness.

Thanks. Do you mean a thousand in any one *subfolder*? I don't have
that many (reckon there's 800 or so in my largest subfolder), but I
have many thousand in the overall container folder D:\My
Pictures\Photos\.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Old December 18th 06, 08:49 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Terry Pinnell

Don wrote:

Terry Pinnell wrote in
:

[...]

Thanks. I do all those at least weekly, and defrag daily, so I don't
think that's the cause.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Old December 18th 06, 08:50 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Terry Pinnell

Matt Ion wrote:

Terry Pinnell wrote:
[...]

Thanks, I will. I agree - I've always had first class support from
him.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Old December 19th 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

Ernie wrote:
On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 10:57:28 +0000, Terry Pinnell
wrote:

Bit of an odd one this, and I wonder if any other IrfanView users have
come across similar behaviour please? My usual casual browsing method
is to open a My Computer folder of JPGs and d-click the first one I
want to view. Then I'll either use the L or R arrow keys, or click
IV's arrow icons, to move to the next. But quite often nowadays I'm
finding the arrows have greyed, and the keys no longer navigate. I can
usually correct this by copying the entire folder with a new name, and
starting again.

It may well be some problem totally unrelated to the excellent
IrfanView. Particularly as I am also sometimes getting very slow
opening of my photo folders.

Any thoughts on possible causes would be appreciated please.

If you are using the latest version (version 3.99), I believe it is a
bug in the start up.

Use the menu options "Properties" - "Misc 2" tab and set the "Set
program start folder" to none. In previous versions, this did not
cause a problem, but with version 3.99, I saw intermittent failures
where Irfanview failed to enumerate all files in the directory, thus
not being able to move back and forth among image files in the current
directory.

I see same problem as op using 3.99. Start up directory is already set
to none by default. I'm getting to like FastStone and may make it my
default viewer. Irfanview still tops for batch conversion.
Dave Cohen
Old December 19th 06, 04:47 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
jona

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
Bit of an odd one this, and I wonder if any other IrfanView users have
come across similar behaviour please? My usual casual browsing method
is to open a My Computer folder of JPGs and d-click the first one I
want to view. Then I'll either use the L or R arrow keys, or click
IV's arrow icons, to move to the next. But quite often nowadays I'm
finding the arrows have greyed, and the keys no longer navigate. I can
usually correct this by copying the entire folder with a new name, and
starting again.

It may well be some problem totally unrelated to the excellent
IrfanView. Particularly as I am also sometimes getting very slow
opening of my photo folders.

Any thoughts on possible causes would be appreciated please.

Just some thoughts:

Somehow I think this has to do with the folder options/properties
in windows explorer. When your problem occurs again, r-click
the relevant folder, properties, customize, and set it to be various
options. Play around with those. Also, turn of "thumbnail caching",
iview might be trying to read that file (?).
I browse my pics in much the same way except I'd ususlly view in
full screen mode so that the pic is displayed in it's entirety (i.e. double
click picture file and then press enter in iview). Using the L and R arrow
keys for navigation has never been a problem.