Metz 45 CL-1 Flash question

Old December 2nd 05, 07:00 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default Metz 45 CL-1 Flash question

Gentlemen,

I've bought a Metz SCA 3701 adapter (Pentax).

I also bought a Metz 45 CL-1.

I was of the understanding that the CL-1 would not work with TTL but now I'm
not so sure. Metz's web site seems to say no but the manual on the web
site seems to say yes.

Anyone have any idea.

If so how do I work in TTL rather than auto? Does it just use TTL in place
of the inbuilt sensor in the flash.

If so I'm rather happy as I have a rather powerful TTL flash at a rather
good price.

Pete

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk
Old December 2nd 05, 09:21 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Peter Chant wrote:
Gentlemen,

I've bought a Metz SCA 3701 adapter (Pentax).

I also bought a Metz 45 CL-1.

I was of the understanding that the CL-1 would not work with TTL but now I'm
not so sure. Metz's web site seems to say no but the manual on the web
site seems to say yes.

Anyone have any idea.

If so how do I work in TTL rather than auto? Does it just use TTL in place
of the inbuilt sensor in the flash.

No TTL with the #1s. Only the #3 and #4 manage TTL.

Nick

--
---------------------------------------
"Digital the new ice fishing"
Old December 2nd 05, 10:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

No TTL with the #1s. Only the #3 and #4 manage TTL.

Hmm,

thats what I thought. However, on downloading the manual it the SCA3000C
(or whatever) and SCA 300 leads are listed as accessories to connect to SCA
modules.

What advantage can that give if you have no TTL?

Mind you, I note from a web search that some people who have similar flashes
with TTL still use them on auto? Also it was a nice price! :-)

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk
Old December 2nd 05, 11:50 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Peter Chant wrote:

No TTL with the #1s. Only the #3 and #4 manage TTL.

Hmm,

thats what I thought. However, on downloading the manual it the SCA3000C
(or whatever) and SCA 300 leads are listed as accessories to connect to SCA
modules.

What advantage can that give if you have no TTL?

I'm not even sure the CL-1 can use the 300/3000 modules and cables. But
assuming it can it depends on what the camera provides. On my oldest Ricoh
the module sets the shutter speed and lights the ready light. The same
module on my newer Ricoh provides TTL and a few other features. On an
autofocus camera it might provide the autofocus light. Or other features.

http://www.metz.de/downloadFile.php?...archiv&lang=en

Mind you, I note from a web search that some people who have similar flashes
with TTL still use them on auto? Also it was a nice price! :-)

Some people don't trust TTL. Plus the auto mode in the Metz flashes is
very good. Except for close ups it'll do everything very well.

Nick

--
---------------------------------------
"Digital the new ice fishing"
Old December 3rd 05, 05:14 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Nick Zentena wrote:

Some people don't trust TTL. Plus the auto mode in the Metz flashes is
very good. Except for close ups it'll do everything very well.

I'll second that.

But if you are using it with an electronic camera, find out
about/measure it's trigger voltage. The older 45 CT-1 could reach
200-600 volts - enough to fry some cameras!
Old December 3rd 05, 08:38 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Nick Zentena wrote:

http://www.metz.de/downloadFile.php?...archiv&lang=en

Unfortunately that does not list the flash nor SCA mopdule in question!

Some people don't trust TTL. Plus the auto mode in the Metz flashes is
very good. Except for close ups it'll do everything very well.

! But TTL is just very fancy, through the lens auto mode!

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk
Old December 3rd 05, 01:55 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Peter Chant wrote:
Nick Zentena wrote:

http://www.metz.de/downloadFile.php?...archiv&lang=en

Unfortunately that does not list the flash nor SCA mopdule in question!

Yup. I doubt the 1s support SCA 300/3000. Look on the back of the flash
under the ready light. Does it say SCA 300?

Some people don't trust TTL. Plus the auto mode in the Metz flashes is
very good. Except for close ups it'll do everything very well.

! But TTL is just very fancy, through the lens auto mode!

TTL is great for closeups. They've even got a fancy slave that can handle
TTL with multiple flashes. But for most things you don't need it.

Nick

--
---------------------------------------
"Digital the new ice fishing"
Old December 3rd 05, 04:24 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Nick Zentena wrote:

Peter Chant wrote:
Nick Zentena wrote:

http://www.metz.de/downloadFile.php?...archiv&lang=en

Unfortunately that does not list the flash nor SCA mopdule in question!

Yup. I doubt the 1s support SCA 300/3000.

You're right. They don't.

Only the CL-3 and CL-4 versions support TTL, using SCA adapters.

Old December 3rd 05, 05:02 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Tony Polson" wrote in message
Nick Zentena wrote:

Peter Chant wrote:
Nick Zentena wrote:

http://www.metz.de/downloadFile.php?...archiv&lang=en

Unfortunately that does not list the flash nor SCA mopdule in question!

Yup. I doubt the 1s support SCA 300/3000.

You're right. They don't.

Only the CL-3 and CL-4 versions support TTL, using SCA adapters.

Perhaps that is why the CL- 1 is so much cheaper.
Jim

Old December 3rd 05, 07:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Jim" wrote:

Only the CL-3 and CL-4 versions support TTL, using SCA adapters.

Perhaps that is why the CL- 1 is so much cheaper.
Jim

Of that, there is no doubt!

;-)