Fraud or not

Old July 6th 03, 07:56 AM
Hans Goerter

Default Fraud or not

Hi,
at eBay there are several sellers selling the CANON EOS 1Ds from 1200 Euro
upto 2800 Euro.
They used the "pro-approved-bidders"-system (I wonder why eBay allows such
things!).
Then they contact you personally and propose a private deal: you should send
the money via Western Union(!!) und then get the package.
Has anybody here made experiences with this kind of business.
I am concerned because Western Union is omly oerfect with people you know
(friends & family) and money is very very hard to recover if something went
wrong.
BTW: nearly 80% of all bidders are in Rome, Italy - very strange!!

Old July 6th 03, 08:01 AM
Gearóid Ó Laoi/Garry Lee

Don't engage in wishful thinking.

There is no such thing as a free lunch or a Canon EOS 1Ds at that kind of
price

Old July 6th 03, 08:04 AM
Hans Goerter

Yes yes, but has anyone a good advice how to protect ones money within
Western Union???
Hans

Old July 6th 03, 10:43 AM
Tom Scales

Don't ever put it INTO Western Union. These are clearly frauds. They're
selling the top equipment across all lines. I've seen both EOS 1Ds and
Olympus 250 f/2 and gold men's watches -- all from this same seller.

Western Union is notorious for its lack of ANY safeguards. If you give them
money for a deal like this, you might as well just set fire to it in your
back yard.

Tom

Old July 6th 03, 10:09 PM
Ferdinand Fudpucker

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 08:01:19 +0100, "Gearóid Ó Laoi/Garry Lee"

I can't believe someone would even ask if this was fraud. Hello,
McFly? Anyone home?

Old July 11th 03, 08:11 PM
Bill

Ebay has never taken the interest it should in policing itself. They rely
almost totally on
other users to "report" suspicious auctions and then and only then does Ebay
look into it.
And the speed they do their investigations in almost always allows the
auctions to come
to an end. Ebay is the AOL of auction sites, they suck but they are the
biggest.

Old July 14th 03, 07:49 AM
Bob Fallona

Here are sone basic rules:

1. Email seller with some questions like conditon, what's included. See if
you like the answer
2. Ask for addtional photos of equipment.
3. Check every line of the ad for funny things like Country ( Spain, Russia,
etc)
4. Type of payment : No Western Union or Wire Transfers !!
5. Check feedback for type of items auctioned. A lot of sellers accounts
are being hijacked to get their feedback to dupe you into buying
6. Check items for sale now.

I have caught and turned in 40 auctions in the last week. I have over 70
auctions recently pulled. Be very carefull !

.com...

Hans Goerter wrote:
Hi,
at eBay there are several sellers selling the CANON EOS 1Ds from 1200
Euro upto 2800 Euro.
They used the "pro-approved-bidders"-system (I wonder why eBay allows
such things!).
Then they contact you personally and propose a private deal: you
should send the money via Western Union(!!) und then get the package.
Has anybody here made experiences with this kind of business.
I am concerned because Western Union is omly oerfect with people you
know (friends & family) and money is very very hard to recover if
something went wrong.
BTW: nearly 80% of all bidders are in Rome, Italy - very strange!!

---