What's the trick in the Microsoft Edge browser - to get the ORIGINAL image URL?

Old April 16th 20, 03:37 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
Arlen Holder[_4_]

Default What's the trick in the Microsoft Edge browser - to get the ORIGINAL image URL?

*What's the trick in the Microsoft Edge browser...*
*to simply obtain the ORIGINAL image URL you originally opened up?*

Try this proof of concept test, on, any browser, oh, say, Firefox:
1. Go to any web page that has a link to an image, for example:
o Questions about mounting & balancing new LT tires on new steel rims
at home (match mounting marks, red dots, yellow dots, & spacers)
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.autos.tech/J5-7TxdDpBw
2. Click on any image links, such as these included for your convenience:
https://i.postimg.cc/CLwNHVKR/tire40.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/CKvyDTgm/tire38.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/TPRhWnsQ/tire09.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/Wz2wtDvk/tire22.jpg
etc.
3. Note a _different_ image URL will appear on the Firefox address bar
(the result of which differs slightly depending on how you accessed it).
4. However, if you right click on the image, you get the original URL:
RightClickOnTheImage Copy Image Location
(That should result in the _original_ image URL you had opened up.)

*Now try that same simple test using Microsoft Edge*.
o You'll get an image URL in the address bar - but it's the wrong URL.
o What you want is the _original_ image URL that you originally visited.
o It's not anywhere near obvious how to obtain the *ORIGINAL* image URL.

Googling, I find this workaround published on the net doesn't work:
o edge and URL image
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking-winpc/edge-and-url-image/7176ded1-8631-40a2-a0f1-b93e7af6f807

A. "i like edge, but i work with a lot of images, and need copy their URL,
like other browsers, click right mouse, and menu----copy URL...
Where can i do this with Microsoft EDGE????" [sic]

B. "Right-click, Inspect Element."

A. "not a solution, if you inspect element, there´s a lot of HTML code,
unnecesary if you onli need url image... " [sic]

C. "This may had been the answer in 2015, but is no longer the case in 2018
(Edge 41.16299.15.0). It doesn't work anymore.
So.... question remains. How do you get the URL of an image?
There is also no longer a "Right-Click Inspect Element" either."

D. "right click and copy picture.
when you paste, the url for the picture is pasted."

E. "There IS no copy picture option in Edge."

F. "Depends on what you're right clicking. If you right click an image,
Inspect Element will appear. Although, this doesn't answer the question, so
you are correct in that it is wrong. The correct answer is the right click
an image and click Copy and then the URL is automatically added to your
clipboard. You can verify by pasting into the address bar."

But that doesn't work in my Edge, where Windows 10 is fully up to date.

--
Usenet allows purposefully helpful adults to share technical solutions.
Old April 16th 20, 04:11 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
dale

On 4/15/2020 10:37 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
*What's the trick in the Microsoft Edge browser...*
Â**to simply obtain the ORIGINAL image URL you originally opened up?*
Try this proof of concept test, on, any browser, oh, say, Firefox:
1. Go to any web page that has a link to an image, for example:
Â* o Questions about mounting & balancing new LT tires on new steel rims
Â*Â*Â* at home (match mounting marks, red dots, yellow dots, & spacers)
Â* https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.autos.tech/J5-7TxdDpBw
2. Click on any image links, such as these included for your convenience:
Â* https://i.postimg.cc/CLwNHVKR/tire40.jpg
Â* https://i.postimg.cc/CKvyDTgm/tire38.jpg
Â* https://i.postimg.cc/TPRhWnsQ/tire09.jpg
Â* https://i.postimg.cc/Wz2wtDvk/tire22.jpg
Â* etc.
3. Note a _different_ image URL will appear on the Firefox address bar
Â* (the result of which differs slightly depending on how you accessed it).
4. However, if you right click on the image, you get the original URL:
Â* RightClickOnTheImage Copy Image Location
Â* (That should result in the _original_ image URL you had opened up.)

*Now try that same simple test using Microsoft Edge*.
o You'll get an image URL in the address bar - but it's the wrong URL.
o What you want is the _original_ image URL that you originally visited.
o It's not anywhere near obvious how to obtain the *ORIGINAL* image URL.

Googling, I find this workaround published on the net doesn't work:
o edge and URL image
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking-winpc/edge-and-url-image/7176ded1-8631-40a2-a0f1-b93e7af6f807

A. "i like edge, but i work with a lot of images, and need copy their
URL, Â*Â* like other browsers, click right mouse, and menu----copy URL...
Â* Where can i do this with Microsoft EDGE????" [sic]

B. "Right-click, Inspect Element."

A. "not a solution, if you inspect element, there´s a lot of HTML code,
Â*Â* unnecesary if you onli need url image... " [sic]

C. "This may had been the answer in 2015, but is no longer the case in
2018 Â* (Edge 41.16299.15.0). It doesn't work anymore.
Â* So.... question remains. How do you get the URL of an image? Â* There
is also no longer a "Right-Click Inspect Element" either."

D. "right click and copy picture.
Â*Â* when you paste, the url for the picture is pasted."

E.Â* "There IS no copy picture option in Edge."

F. "Depends on what you're right clicking. If you right click an image,
Inspect Element will appear. Although, this doesn't answer the question, so
you are correct in that it is wrong. The correct answer is the right click
an image and click Copy and then the URL is automatically added to your
clipboard. You can verify by pasting into the address bar."

But that doesn't work in my Edge, where Windows 10 is fully up to date.

*What's the trick in the Microsoft Edge browser...*
Â**to simply obtain the ORIGINAL image URL you originally opened up?*

if you are able to open a URL in Edge you have the URL you want?

--
Minister Dale Kelly, Ph.D.
https://www.dalekelly.org/
Old April 16th 20, 05:58 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
Arlen Holder[_4_]

if you are able to open a URL in Edge you have the URL you want?

Hi Dale,

Did you try the experiment provided for testing purposes?

You click one URL, you get another (in all browsers).
a. In most web browsers, you can right click to get the original URL.
b. Except in Edge, you can't seem to ever get the original URL back.

Try it please.
o There's a _reason_ I provided the step-by-step example you know.

Edge seems to act differently on images than do the other browsers.
o Try it first - and then let us know what you get.

My goal is to solve the problem but if you don't try it, you can only
guess, which doesn't help anyone as this post adds no additional value.
--
TRUTH is a matter of consistent application of facts to every conversation.
Old April 16th 20, 06:35 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
dale

On 4/16/2020 12:58 AM, Arlen Holder wrote:

if you are able to open a URL in Edge you have the URL you want?

Hi Dale,

Did you try the experiment provided for testing purposes?

You click one URL, you get another (in all browsers).

When I click on a URL it is the same one displayed in the Edge title
bar. I don't get another.

a. In most web browsers, you can right click to get the original URL.

I see this doesn't happen on Edge.

b. Except in Edge, you can't seem to ever get the original URL back.

I don't get what you want, when you click on a URL it is displayed in
the title bar where you can select then copy into your buffer.

Try it please.
o There's a _reason_ I provided the step-by-step example you know.

you discovered "Unmotivated Dale"

Edge seems to act differently on images than do the other browsers.
o Try it first - and then let us know what you get.

You can copy the link on Internet Explorer. But if you have the link in
the first place for Edge. Its also on the title bar.

Old April 16th 20, 09:49 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
Arlen Holder[_4_]

I don't get what you want, when you click on a URL it is displayed in
the title bar where you can select then copy into your buffer.

Hi Dale,

Thanks for testing it out where the question is about how to get Edge to do
what all other browsers seem to do naturally with respect to image URLs.
o https://i.postimg.cc/t7078JSz/browser00.jpg
o https://i.postimg.cc/zvwVZ5sZ/browser01.jpg
o https://i.postimg.cc/Hkrdbd6Y/browser02.jpg
o https://i.postimg.cc/j5XGGFM3/browser03.jpg

What happens assumes you click on the links from Google Groups and what
happens when you click on the image links depends on the specific browser,
where different things happen with Edge than with, oh, say, Firefox.

For example, if we paste this recent a.h.r Usenet thread into Firefox...
o What are the best materials for making a DIY ~0.3 micron mask
at home to filter in the coronavirus?
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.home.repair/Mz_aRrYW_Ow/OxmW-4yCBAAJ

We see in the opening post the following two image link:
https://i.postimg.cc/xqVXRK5R/diymask01.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/xqVXRK5R/diymask01.jpg

From Google groups pointed to the thread, in Firefox and in Edge:
https://i.postimg.cc/t7078JSz/browser00.jpg
When I single left click on those two image links in each browser...
https://i.postimg.cc/zvwVZ5sZ/browser01.jpg
Note the URL address bar shows is a _different_ URL than that I clicked
https://postimg.cc/jnvqqnGw
https://postimg.cc/BtJFxrJp
When you rightclick on that displayed image in Firefox, "Copy Image
Location" pops up, but in Edge you get this "Copy" option:
https://i.postimg.cc/Hkrdbd6Y/browser02.jpg
When you subsequently paste what was copied, in Firefox you get the
_original_ URL back that you had clicked on inside of Google Groups; but
you never get the original URL back when you do the same with Edge.
https://i.postimg.cc/j5XGGFM3/browser03.jpg

I tested this on a few browsers where Edge is decidedly very different.
o The question is what's the trick to get Edge to copy the image URL?
--
Usenet is a public archive of useful polite technical discussions.
Old April 16th 20, 02:28 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"dale" wrote

| https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.autos.tech/J5-7TxdDpBw
| 2. Click on any image links, such as these included for your
convenience:
| https://i.postimg.cc/CLwNHVKR/tire40.jpg
| https://i.postimg.cc/CKvyDTgm/tire38.jpg
| https://i.postimg.cc/TPRhWnsQ/tire09.jpg
| https://i.postimg.cc/Wz2wtDvk/tire22.jpg

Very odd. I notice that if I go to View - Image Info
it shows the right URL. When I ran SmartSniff I got
the following:

172.93.106.42 reliablesite.net
46.229.175.90 DataWeb Global Group B.V.

Both are webhosting companies. Though you'd never
know it from the about page at the latter, which begins,
"We know what we do." I guess that's what happens
when you let IT people write stuff.

The first link has the actual image. The second URL
only sent 5 KB. One drawback of https is that one can
no longer see the actual data. So I don't know exactly
what was received.

What does all of that mean? If I hit enter on the new URL
in the address bar I get the same thing with the back button
disabled. It appears to be a convoluted process that may be
partly to avoid scraper software downloading images in bulk
and/or may be connected with the fact that postimg seems
to be a seat-of-the-pants operation, using multiple
webhosting services rather than having its own servers.

So the random folder name ahead of the image file name
may be obfuscation and/or part of a database tracking
system. Just a guess. But offhand I can't think of another
possibility.

There can be other problems, though, which are what I
at first thought you were talking about: Increasingly,
webpages are creating very complex image links where
the actual IMG SRC, the real HTML, is either absent or
points to a tiny image. Then they use javascript to assess
your device and display, sending you one of several images
that the script decides you should see.
I see less and less images because I normally disable
script. So if I want to see the image I have to fish it out
of a very messy IMG tag.

Iroincally, part of the reason for that system is to minimize
the image data sent out. Yet those webpages are typically
using 1+ MB of javascript, making script, by far, the biggest
element in the page!

The whole thing is becoming increasingly abstracted. Not
so long ago you went to an IP address and downloaded
HTML, along with CSS, images, and maybe some script.
Sometimes there might be a Flash file. Today, many URLs
will take you not to a webpage at all but to what's essentially
a javascript-based software program that downloads and
runs on your computer. And that might be coming from
anywhere. Go to microsoft.com and you'll probably get
files from akamai. (And both of them will sell your personal info!)

More recently there's something like native code
javascript, that gets compiled before running. There's
WebGL, which runs directly on your GPU. It's nuts. If
you're allowing script, increasingly you're not only
allowing spyware but you're essentially allowing a
software program to download and run locally. Exactly
what's *never* supposed to happen on the Web.

And I know you're allowing script because you posted
a link to Google Groups. #! URLs won't work without
script. They're especially designed to make trouble for
people who don't allow script. To see the real page you
have to replace #! with ?_escaped_fragment_=
Like so:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?_es...ch/J5-7TxdDpBw

An example of this complication:
Yesterday I was trying to figure out why a friend
couldn't see a recaptcha on a webpage at nytimes.com.
Blocked by HOSTS? Generally recaptchas just need to
allow gstatic.com. (Google) But that wasn't blocked.
I downloaded the whole pile of muck composing that
webpage. Some of it is coming from a company called
datadome. Their script was bizarre. Much of it was
obfuscated in the format \x52\x45, etc. Those represent
ASCII character codes. When I converted those to text
I got a massive array of tiny base64 strings, like: aWqVVs==
When I decoded those I got snippets of javascript. But
even those were not in order. There was another function
somewhere to assemble them. I didn't bother with that
because I was only looking for URLs that might be getting
blocked by HOSTS.
I never did figure out the problem. But that's an example
of what's happening on typical webpages. The code is
vast and deliberately obfuscated, so that it's very difficult,
even if you know javascript, to figure out what it's doing.
And the files for one webpage could come from a dozen or
more domains, many of which you've never heard
of but which are nonetheless following you around online.

Old April 16th 20, 07:32 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
dale

On 4/16/2020 4:49 AM, Arlen Holder wrote:

I don't get what you want, when you click on a URL it is displayed in
the title bar where you can select then copy into your buffer.

Hi Dale,

Thanks for testing it out where the question is about how to get Edge to do
what all other browsers seem to do naturally with respect to image URLs.
o https://i.postimg.cc/t7078JSz/browser00.jpg
o https://i.postimg.cc/zvwVZ5sZ/browser01.jpg
o https://i.postimg.cc/Hkrdbd6Y/browser02.jpg
o https://i.postimg.cc/j5XGGFM3/browser03.jpg

What happens assumes you click on the links from Google Groups and what
happens when you click on the image links depends on the specific browser,
where different things happen with Edge than with, oh, say, Firefox.

For example, if we paste this recent a.h.r Usenet thread into Firefox...
o What are the best materials for making a DIY ~0.3 micron mask Â*at home
to filter in the coronavirus?
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.home.repair/Mz_aRrYW_Ow/OxmW-4yCBAAJ

We see in the opening post the following two image link:
Â*https://i.postimg.cc/xqVXRK5R/diymask01.jpg
Â*https://i.postimg.cc/xqVXRK5R/diymask01.jpg
From Google groups pointed to the thread, in Firefox and in Edge:
Â*https://i.postimg.cc/t7078JSz/browser00.jpg
When I single left click on those two image links in each browser...
Â*https://i.postimg.cc/zvwVZ5sZ/browser01.jpg
Note the URL address bar shows is a _different_ URL than that I clicked
Â*https://postimg.cc/jnvqqnGw
Â*https://postimg.cc/BtJFxrJp
Â*https://i.postimg.cc/Hkrdbd6Y/browser02.jpg
When you subsequently paste what was copied, in Firefox you get the
_original_ URL back that you had clicked on inside of Google Groups; but
you never get the original URL back when you do the same with Edge.
https://i.postimg.cc/j5XGGFM3/browser03.jpg

I tested this on a few browsers where Edge is decidedly very different.
o The question is what's the trick to get Edge to copy the image URL?

Hi Arlen,

I can't get Edge to do what you want either. A workaround might to
right-click on the URL and copy it into the framebuffer before you click
on it to open it.

I prefer Edge, and native Windows 10 applications myself. Internet
Explorer is native and does what you want.

Old April 16th 20, 08:45 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
Arlen Holder[_4_]

I tested this on a few browsers where Edge is decidedly very different.
o The question is what's the trick to get Edge to copy the image URL?

I can't get Edge to do what you want either.

Hi Dale,
Thanks for testing it out, where you might not know, but I post, oh, I
don't know, many hundreds of photos to Usenet every year (for decades),
where I often need the original link when displayed in a browser.

My doctrine is to set up a given browser for a specific purpose, as per:
o Discussion of two different privacy-related browser philosophies
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.comp.freeware/H4694--5znY/LOOCa11RBgAJ

Where I had Edge set up for displaying photos, but it just isn't working.

A workaround might to
right-click on the URL and copy it into the framebuffer before you click
on it to open it.

Thanks for that workaround, which I understand, and where perhaps a better
workaround is simply to use some other browser than Edge for photo viewing.

I prefer Edge, and native Windows 10 applications myself.

I understand as browser dogma varies by use-model & strategic philosophy.

For example, I have installed _many_ browsers, each used for a given task:
o Do we have (yet) an actionable list of all free Windows & Linux
web browsers (and the path to the full offline network installers)?
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.comp.freeware/krNaXA-YEbw/w8QTIPIuBwAJ

Internet Explorer is native and does what you want.

I noticed I didn't have IE in my WinXP-style cascade accordion menu:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/18520/download-internet-explorer-11-offline-installer

I did have an Edge shortcut in my WinXP-style menu though:
o TARGET = %windir%\explorer.exe shell:Appsfolder\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8 bbwe!MicrosoftEdge
o STARTIN = %windir%
o ICONFROM = %SystemRoot%\System32\SHELL32.dll

So I created an IE shortcut using a similar approach:
o TARGET = "%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"
o STARTIN = %windir%
o ICONFROM = %ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

BTW, when I started Internet Explorer (IE) for the first time just now...
o Version: 11.778.18362.0
o Update Versions: 11.0.185 (KB4550905)

It took me to this "New" Microsoft Edge (web stub) download page:
o Introducing the new Microsoft Edge
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/
Where maybe the "new" Edge will work better?
o The new Microsoft Edge based on Chromium was released on January 15 2020
https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/4501095/download-the-new-microsoft-edge-based-on-chromium

Which may work differently than the circa 2019 Edge I'm currently using:
o Edge [...] [gear]Settings About this app
Reports: Microsoft Edge 44.18362.449.0

Nonetheless, you are correct & I thank you for being purposefully helpful.
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.home.repair/Mz_aRrYW_Ow/OxmW-4yCBAAJ

This image copy worked as you had suggested, inside of Internet Explorer:
https://i.postimg.cc/ZYdLhmgG/diymask02.jpg
Where this is the result, for which I thank you for your kind assistance!
https://i.postimg.cc/QNKrv8by/browser04.jpg

In summary, I'll simply change my doctrine to employ IE instead of Edge
as my browser that opens up images from Google Groups Usenet threads, e.g.,
http://tinyurl.com/rec-photo-digital
--
Every thread on Usenet should increase our overall group tribal knowledge.