Screwed by Canon rebate.

Old December 31st 06, 07:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bryan Olson

Default Screwed by Canon rebate.

Bill Funk wrote:
Bryan Olson wrote:

Bill Funk wrote:
I've seen very few rebates where the normal paperwork the cuseomer
gets isn't enough for a rebate. Usually, this means the rebate form
itself (usually inside the packaging), the USP code from the
packaging, and the receipt.
How many places do you shop that don't provide a receipt?

I have encountered cases where the rebate says basically says
to send in things not provided. For one of those awful
double-rebates, both forms said to send in the original UPC.
Actually one form said to send a copy in one place on the
form, and the original in another place.

I've never seen such a requirement.
Doesn't mean thet don't happen, but I've never seen them
I'd be willing to bet a phone call or three would clear that up, tho.

I understood it was a mistake, and just sent it in with a note.
They paid the rebate without responding to the note. Did anyone
see this and give up?

And, yes, such things shouldn't happen.

The problem is that in fulfilling rebates, the companies profit
from their own mistakes.

--
--Bryan
Old December 31st 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
JC Dill

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 21:25:30 -0800, John McWilliams
wrote:

Interesting interpretation. With this reasoning, it'd seem a retailer is
responsible to oversee warranty work, also.

If they advertise the warranty, yes, IMHO they are responsible for
ensuring that you get what you paid for.

Under Fed. law, State, or what? Are you a lawyer?

Look at it this way. The store advertises an item and advertises an
extended warranty. The salesman sells you both the item and the
extended warranty. You need service under the warranty and discover
that you never actually *got* an extended warranty. Don't you agree
that the store has some legal liability here?

Common Law, UCC, False Advertising, etc. all give consumers rights and
when a store advertises something and you buy it based on that
advertising, and then the "something" isn't provided, that's false
advertising, etc.

jc

~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare's Nest, PA
Old December 31st 06, 08:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

wrote:

Interesting interpretation. With this reasoning, it'd seem a retailer is
responsible to oversee warranty work, also.

If they advertise the warranty, yes, IMHO they are responsible for
ensuring that you get what you paid for.

Under Fed. law, State, or what? Are you a lawyer?

Look at it this way. The store advertises an item and advertises an
extended warranty. The salesman sells you both the item and the
extended warranty. You need service under the warranty and discover
that you never actually *got* an extended warranty. Don't you agree
that the store has some legal liability here?

Common Law, UCC, False Advertising, etc. all give consumers rights and
when a store advertises something and you buy it based on that
advertising, and then the "something" isn't provided, that's false
advertising, etc.

jc

it depends...
If, by warranty, you mean the piece of paper or other means if
determining ownership of the warranty, yes.
If, OTOH, you mean of the warranty is any good, or available after you
bought it, then no.
Unless, of course, the store is the one offering the warranty, not
just a retailer selling it.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
Old January 6th 07, 06:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

John wrote:

I know that the institution of rebates is meant to rip you off so I'm
quite anal about paying attention to the details and ALWAYS sending in
the rebate with delivery confirmation. The delivery confirmation at
least minimizes the "Sorry, we never received your rebate" or "Sorry, we
didn't receive your rebate in time" excuses.

I read the rebate forms several times looking for the "gotcha's". I know
I go through way more trouble than I should for $20-$50 but it's the
principle. They make it as annoying as possible to claim a rebate so
that most people won't bother. I'm the one that bothers.

I send in my rebate to Canon along with all the rebate form, purchase
receipt and I cut out the UPC code from the box and put that in the
envelope. My new tactic is to use wide tape and tape the UPC code to
the rebate form.

I checked on my rebate status just now.

Error(s): An original qualifying UPC was not included

Yep. No matter how hard I tried, Canon still managed to screw me over.

Since they want "an original" qualifying UPC", my copy won't suffice.

Canon, the next time I'm in the market for a product I'll remember this
incident.

Hello, John:

Here's some general advice, regarding rebates: Always follow the
instructions, precisely.

Taping the UPC to the form was probably a bad move. Removing it,
intact, would require more time and effort, by the handlers; that's
why staples are normally forbidden, I'd guess.

Better luck, next time!

Cordially,
John Turco
Old January 6th 07, 04:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 1/6/07 12:24 AM, in article , "John
Turco" wrote:

John wrote:

[...]

John, I am curious. Why do you think that staples are forbidden. EVERY
rebate that I have sent, including those to Canon, has been stapled (at the
very edge of the UPC barcode) to the rebate form and circled with the arrow
pointing to the requirement in the list. To the other John: Thanks for the
helpful info about Delivery Confirmation. Sounds like it would be
worthwhile.

BTW: I am getting ready to send in my Canon "Double Rebate" that closes next
week. I will post if there are any problems. Also would recommend going to
the Canon Rebate website and "pre-qualify", as they describe the process.
More ammo, the better!

Old January 13th 07, 04:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

George Kerby wrote:

On 1/6/07 12:24 AM, in article , "John
Turco" wrote:

edited, for brevity

Here's some general advice, regarding rebates: Always follow the
instructions, precisely.

Taping the UPC to the form was probably a bad move. Removing it,
intact, would require more time and effort, by the handlers; that's
why staples are normally forbidden, I'd guess.

Better luck, next time!

Cordially,
John Turco

John, I am curious. Why do you think that staples are forbidden. EVERY
rebate that I have sent, including those to Canon, has been stapled (at the
very edge of the UPC barcode) to the rebate form and circled with the arrow
pointing to the requirement in the list. To the other John: Thanks for the
helpful info about Delivery Confirmation. Sounds like it would be
worthwhile.

Hello, George:

Oh, I just remember reading the no-staples warning, on some (or most?)
of my forms, long ago.

BTW: I am getting ready to send in my Canon "Double Rebate" that closes next
week. I will post if there are any problems. Also would recommend going to
the Canon Rebate website and "pre-qualify", as they describe the process.
More ammo, the better!

Good luck! I, myself, haven't bothered with many rebates, in recent
years.

Cordially,
John Turco
Old January 21st 07, 03:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Big John

John Turco wrote:
George Kerby wrote:
On 1/6/07 12:24 AM, in article , "John
Turco" wrote:

edited, for brevity

[...]

No one told me not to staple - and I always do - and so far it has
always worked with Canon, HP and others. I'm a sucker for rebates and
nearly everything one buys at Fry's Electronics has at least one!

BJ
Old March 9th 07, 03:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Jan 20, 7:45 pm, Big John wrote:
John Turco wrote:
George Kerby wrote:
On 1/6/07 12:24 AM, in article , "John
Turco" wrote:

edited, for brevity

[...]

BJ- Hide quoted text -

For Double Rebates folks:

Probably it didn't matter how correct and secure you sent the rebate
info in, you probably would receive a card asking you to resubmit
warranty card or UPC, because the statement in the rebate form said
"Failure for the information to match exactly will result in the
second submission being treated as a first, or initial rebate, and the
double rebate will not be issued."

It's a scam from Canon to avoid double rebates. They purportedly put
the above statement in the rebate form so they can rip us off from
paying double rebate. It's happening to me right now. I've checked
all the rebates so carefully and still have the copy of everything I
sent in. I didn't miss any thing and still being asked to resubmit.
I just want to know any of you running into the same problem with me.
Please come forward, we may have a class action law suit together.

John Nguyen

Old March 13th 07, 03:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 3/9/07 9:08 AM, in article
,

John Turco wrote:
George Kerby wrote:
On 1/6/07 12:24 AM, in article , "John
Turco" wrote:

edited, for brevity

[...]

I finally got my "double rebate" last week. Here is where I eat boiled crow:

1. Of the four items I correctly submitted for rebate, the check from Canon
was only for three. Somehow, they just overlooked the fifty bucks for the
lens.

2. Even though my pre-rebate correspondence information was correctly taken,
my name was misspelled on the check.

3. I contacted Canon (not an easy task in itself) Rebate Department. Three
days later, I got an eMail from a "Rebate Liaison" Canon employee, asking
for a copy of the lens' UPC code. Since I had made a copy of everything that
I sent originally, I WAS able to attach a scan of that copy with my return
eMail. Otherwise I would have been up **** Creek without a paddle.

Like I said, that was early last week. Haven't heard anything.

No more rebates for me.

Pass the feather remover...

Old March 30th 07, 12:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

I've been getting the rebate runaround since earlier last month.

I got the first postcard from the rebate house in February saying that
the qualifying UPC codes weren't included. Mind you this is a big
rebate I'm after, a $600 double rebate for the Canon 5D and a $60
rebate for a qualifying lens. I was not taking this lightly, and I
knew I put the UPC codes in the envelope.

The first call to customer service had a very uncooperative operator
not able to help me out at all. The UPC codes weren't there, he
says. What he doesn't tell you is this: he doesn't work for CANON, he
works for a firm called YOUNG AMERICA in Minnesota. They've had
complaints filed against them in the past for just this sort of thing
(do a web search). But the rebate forms didn't go to Minnesota, they
were mailed to someplace in Texas or New Mexico, and the materials
scanned in there for processing in Minnesota. Sounds complicated?
Not really ... except the guys in Minnesota don't know what the people
in Texas are doing. I call back another time and the excuse is,
"well, there was a problem scanning in the 5D because we didn't have
the right code." OK, so now they had the UPC but they weren't scanned
correctly? Third call to YA and I ask to talk to a supervisor since
I'm getting nowhere. "There are no supervisors present they got
called into a meeting." So who's in charge? "They're all in a
meeting." You mean to tell me that there are no supervisors, anywhere
in the building, no leads, nobody in charge? "They're all in a
meeting." Riiigghht.

Call to CANON, and Canon is much more helpful. I get a name and an
email response from a customer service rep. He requests that I send
him a photo of the boxes showing where the UPC was cut out. That I do
and now according to the web site my rebate is successfully processed
5 days later, and a check was mailed 2/16/07. Now we're getting
somewhere.

But wait ... Five weeks later I still have no check. Canon says, the
check was mailed but returned undeliverable, do we have your correct
address? YES, dammit, you have the correct address, this is where I
receive mail, how could it be undeliverable? Is this another stalling
tactic?

Obviously.

Supposedly another check was cut and I should see it in what? Another
five weeks? I'm waiting.

LESSON ONE: Don't trust anybody, even a big reputable company like
CANON. Make copies of everything.
LESSON TWO: Follow up, follow up, follow up. Don't accept their
answers/excuses, etc. Call often, complain loudly.

There needs to be a lawsuit, frankly. CANON may not be processing the
rebates but they are culpable for the contractors they hire to do it.
YOUNG AMERICA is just plain corrupt, they're holding on to your money
as long as they possibly can, squeezing every last red cent out of
their interest. Their tactics are simply deny and delay. There is no
customer service in their game plan.

LESSON THREE: Don't buy because of a rebate. As of the first of this
month I hear the price of the 5D will be coming down by summer.