Fuji S2 and Metz 44 Mz-2 Flash

Old March 26th 04, 06:43 AM
elchief

Default Fuji S2 and Metz 44 Mz-2 Flash

Hi, I am a new digital photographer, I use to work whit film for my
weddings and I have just started to use the Fuji S2 Pro, I like the
color and the image when I'm at my studio, but when I'm at a wedding,
whit my Metz 44 MZ-2 flash, the pictures are not as nice, they got a
los of contrast and hot spots, can someone share some info about
digital photography and flash?

see some images about this in my site
http://www.davidjosue.com/

and thanks for your patience with my english.

David Josue
Old April 7th 04, 02:32 AM
Klyment Tan

Hi David,

I'm no expert with digital photography (I don't even use a digicam most of
the time) but your problem sounds like something that may be common with
both film and digital photographic processes. I think the Metz is a pretty
powerful flash and you may be flashing from a fairly close distance. You may
want to consider using a bouncer or some other softening attachment that you
can mount onto your flash to increase the area from which your lightsource
projects. These should be available fairly inexpensively from most camera
shops. They work like the umbrellas or baffles you use with your studio
lights. Also, if the ceiling and your working distance provides, try doing
some ceiling bounce.

As a side note, I like your wedding shots. Personally, I like shots of the
ceremony that have black backgrounds. I try to flash with my aperture as
small as my flash will allow and still provide for me a reasonably short
flash refresh time. This way, your foreground will be properly exposed and
your background should be all black or nearly black. This reduces the
distractions from the stars of the day. =)

Hope this helps.

- K

om...

Old April 7th 04, 05:33 AM
John

On 25 Mar 2004 21:43:50 -0800, (elchief) wrote:

Hi, I am a new digital photographer

And obviously new to the USENET to. Please post on-topic and
to the appropriate group which in this case would be
rec.photo.digital.

General "Rules"
# NEVER post a binary file (image file)
# NEVER post a commercial advertisement
# NEVER post a personal ad to any group except rec.photo.marketplace
# NEVER post the same item separately to more than one group
# READ the charters
# TRY to read the general guidelines found in the
news.announce.newusers newsgroup
# IF in doubt, ask for help in the rec.photo.misc newsgroup
User Guidelines for the Internet may be found at this link

rec.photo.misc General issues related to photography

This newsgroup will deal with postings on all subjects not
specifically
covered by the other rec.photo newsgroups. It is required in place of
rec.photo in order that postings are not posted to "rec.photo" by
default.
Any and all postings concerning the recreational use of photography
will be
appropriate for inclusion in this newsgroup. Such postings might
include
(but are not limited to) announcements of photographic shows, requests
for
travel related photographic information, book reviews, discussions of
ethical issues, general discussions about the "death of photography",
discussion of the work of famous photographers, philosophy etc. This
newsgroup specifically does *NOT* permit the posting of commercial
advertisements for products or services, even if they are related to
photography.

rec.photo.marketplace Trading of personal photographic equipment

rec.photo.marketplace will contain all "for sale" and "wanted"
postings.
These posting will be restricted to the private sale of personally
owned
and used equipment. This newsgroup specifically does *not* permit
commercial advertising, postings by dealers selling or soliciting
equipment, or postings by amateurs regularly dealing in used equipment
principally or incidentally for purposes of financial gain. It is
intended
as a forum in which photographers can sell, trade or request equipment
in
connection with their individual photographic interests. Postings
which
receive no replies should *NOT* be reposted for at least one week
after the
initial posting and should not be repeatedly reposted without material
change. Replies (other than factual corrections) should be sent *only*
by
email and *never* posted in rec.photo.marketplace. Advertisers should
include a telephone number if possible in case there are problems with
email connections (and email problems are not unusual!).

The charters for the new rec.photo.marketplace.* groups which were
created in
early 1999 follow:

CHARTER: all groups

Rec.photo.marketplace.* will contain all "for sale" and "wanted"
postings.
These posting will be restricted to the private sale of personally
owned
and used equipment. These newsgroups specifically do *not* permit
commercial advertising, postings by dealers selling or soliciting
equipment, postings from internet auction sites, or postings by
amateurs
regularly dealing in used equipment principally or incidentally for
purposes of financial gain. They are intended as forums in which
photographers can sell, trade or request equipment in connection with
their individual photographic interests.

Postings which receive no replies should *NOT* be reposted for at
least
one week after the initial posting and should not be repeatedly
reposted
without material change. Replies (other than factual corrections)
should
be sent *only* by email and *never* posted in rec.photo.marketplace.*.
Advertisers should include a telephone number if possible in case
there
are problems with email connections (and email problems are not
unusal!).

Posters should indicate their geographical location.

For the benefit of all parties, posters are strongly encouraged to
make
subject lines as descriptive as possible (e.g. "WTB Nikkor 10mm
OP-Fisheye
lens", "300mm for Pentax 6x7 FS", etc). Use of brand names is
encouraged,
as well as abbreviations such as "WTB" (Want To Buy) and "FS" (For
Sale).

Postings for auctions which are hosted on web-servers such as eBay,
*must*
include the keyword [Auction] at the start of the Subject line
(e.g. "[Auction] Szabad half-plate camera for sale").

Postings must _not_ be crossposted to any of the rec.photo.*
discussion
groups. Crossposting within the rec.photo.marketplace.* groups is
normally not permitted, with the exception of informational postings.

Binary postings are not acceptable in any of the
rec.photo.marketplace.*
groups.

If and when new groups are added to the rec.photo.marketplace.*
hierarchy, the "all groups" section of this charter may be changed
to accommodate any changed circumstances caused by the addition of
the new group(s). Such a change of the general
"rec.photo.marketplace.*"
charter must be included as a part of a newsgroup proposal, and must
be
explicitly mentioned in the proposal

END CHARTER.

CHARTER: rec.photo.marketplace.35mm

For buying and selling 35mm equipment.

All postings made to this group should conform to the general
charter for the rec.photo.marketplace.* groups (see above under
the heading "CHARTER: all groups") and existing Usenet guidelines
(see news.announce.newusers for guideline documents).

END CHARTER.

CHARTER: rec.photo.marketplace.darkroom

For buying and selling darkroom equipment and supplies.

All postings made to this group should conform to the general
charter for the rec.photo.marketplace.* groups (see above under
the heading "CHARTER: all groups") and existing Usenet guidelines
(see news.announce.newusers for guideline documents).

END CHARTER.

CHARTER: rec.photo.marketplace.digital

For buying and selling digital imaging equipment and supplies.

All postings made to this group should conform to the general
charter for the rec.photo.marketplace.* groups (see above under
the heading "CHARTER: all groups") and existing Usenet guidelines
(see news.announce.newusers for guideline documents).

END CHARTER.

CHARTER: rec.photo.marketplace.large-format

For buying and selling large format equipment. Large format is
defined as equipment designed for use with sheet film, normally
with negative sizes from 4x5" (or 9x12cm) and upwards.

All postings made to this group should conform to the general
charter for the rec.photo.marketplace.* groups (see above under
the heading "CHARTER: all groups") and existing Usenet guidelines
(see news.announce.newusers for guideline documents).

END CHARTER.

CHARTER: rec.photo.marketplace.medium-format

For buying and selling medium format equipment. Medium format is
normally defined as equipment using roll films in 120, 220, 127,
620 or similar sizes, with negative formats ranging from 4x4cm to
6x17cm.

All postings made to this group should conform to the general
charter for the rec.photo.marketplace.* groups (see above under
the heading "CHARTER: all groups") and existing Usenet guidelines
(see news.announce.newusers for guideline documents).

END CHARTER.

rec.photo.darkroom Developing, printing and other darkroom issues

This newsgroup will contain postings related to all aspects of
photographic
darkroom use. As such it will cover subjects such as the developing of
slide and negative film, photographic printing from negatives and
slides,
photographic toning processes and alternative chemistry. This
newsgroup
specifically does *NOT* permit the posting of commercial advertisments
[...]

rec.photo.digital

This group is for the discussion of all aspects of digital
photography, including digital cameras, scanners, image manipulation
software, printers, and CD-ROM technology.

All postings made to this group should conform to existing Usenet
guidelines (see news.announce.newusers for guideline documents). This
group explicitly prohibits the posting of commercial advertisements or
other promotional material, whether or not it is an any way related to
photography. Binary postings (i.e. non text postings) are
prohibited.

rec.photo.technique.nature Wildlife, landscapes, travel tips etc.

This group is for the discussion of the techniques involved in nature
photography and other peripheral issues. It is not intended for
discussions of equipment except where a piece of equipment is directly
related to some other technique issue. Strictly equipment discussions
should take place in the relevant equipment group. Issues appropriate
for this group would be ethics of nature photography, questions about
locations for nature photography, questions about how to most
effectively *USE* equipment, questions about projected flash
techniques, questions about macro techniques, etc.

Examples of appropriate question involving equipment might be:
* What's the most useful fixed focal length lens for landscapes,
20, 24 or 28mm?
* Is a 300/4 or 400/5.6 lens more useful for wildlife work?
* Is mirror lock up really useful in nature photography?
* Is autofocus really needed for nature photography?

Inappropriate equipment related questions would be:
* Is the Canon 24/2.8 better than the Sigma 24/2.8?
* Is the Canon 300/4L better than the Sigma 400/5.6 APO?
* What's the best 100-300mm zoom lens?
* Does anyone have test reports on the Nikon 80-200/2.8?

All questions about specific items of equipment belong in the
equipment groups. Tagging on a nature comment such as "is lens A
better than lens B - FOR NATURE WORK", does *NOT* make them
appropriate for the technique group!

All postings made to this group should conform to existing Usenet
guidelines (see news.announce.newusers for guideline documents). This
group explicitly prohibits the posting of commercial advertisements or
other promotional material, whether or not it is in any way related to
photography. Binary postings (i.e. non text postings) are
prohibited.

rec.photo.technique.people Portraits, figure studies, weddings etc.

This group is for postings related to the photography of people. This
includes portraits, figure studies, abstracts, nudes etc. It is not
intended for the discussion of equipment except as related to other
issues of technique. Suitable topics for posting would include
lighting, posing, models, releases, wedding photography etc.

Examples of appropriate question involving equipment might be:

* What's the best focal length for portrait photography?
* Do I really need to move to medium format for weddings?
* Are soft focus lenses/filters really useful?

Inappropriate equipment related questions would be:

* What's the best 85mm f1.8 lens?
* Should I buy a Canon or Nikon system?
* Are Sigma lenses just as good as Zeiss lenses?

These latter 3 questions all belong in the relevant equipment
subgroup.

All postings made to this group should conform to existing Usenet
guidelines (see news.announce.newusers for guideline documents). This
group explicitly prohibits the posting of commercial advertisements or
other promotional material, whether or not it is in any way related to
photography. Binary postings (i.e. non text postings) are
prohibited.

rec.photo.technique.art Issues of fine art, framing, display

This group is for postings related to art issues in photography.
These would include what "art" really is, discussions of particular
photographs and what makes them art, mounting and displaying pictures
as art, fine art photography etc.

All postings made to this group should conform to existing Usenet
guidelines (see news.announce.newusers for guideline documents). This
group explicitly prohibits the posting of commercial advertisments or
other promotional material, whether or not it is in any way related to
photography. Binary postings (i.e. non text postings) are
prohibited.

rec.photo.technique.misc Misc. non-equipment posts about technique

This group is for the discussion of issues of technique which are not
covered by any other technique group. Such subjects might include
sports photography, aerial photography, architectural photography,
scientific photography, photomicroscopy, copy work etc.

All postings made to this group should conform to existing Usenet
guidelines (see news.announce.newusers for guideline documents). This
group explicitly prohibits the posting of commercial advertisments or
other promotional material, whether or not it is in any way related to
photography. Binary postings (i.e. non text postings) are
prohibited.

rec.photo.equipment.large-format - Large format cameras and lenses

This group is for the discussion of any issues related to large format
equipment. Large format cameras are normally taken to be those which
record their images on individual plates, rather than on roll film,
and in which the image size is 4" x 5" or larger. Such cameras are
often referred to as "view cameras" and focusing is normally achieved
by observing the image on a ground glass screen, which is replaced by
the photographic plate prior to exposure. "Plate" in this case refers
to either glass plates, or individual sheets of photographic film.
The 4" x 5" specification above is not intended to exclude cameras
using smaller film size, should they possess the other characteristics
of "large_format" or "view" cameras.

All postings made to this group should conform to existing Usenet
guidelines (see news.announce.newusers for guideline documents). This
group explicitly prohibits the posting of commercial advertisments or
other promotional material, whether or not it is in any way related to
photography. Binary postings (i.e. non text postings) are
prohibited.

rec.photo.equipment.medium-format - Medium format cameras and lenses

This group would be for the discussion of issues related to medium
format equipment. Medium format cameras are normally taken to be
cameras in which 120 or 620 size roll film is used, producing images
in the range of 6cm x 4.5cm to 6cm x 9cm. The cameras used are
typically either single lens reflex, twin lens reflex or scale (or
rangefinder) focusing. The discussion of panoramic cameras using 120
film size would also be appropriate for this group.

All postings made to this group should conform to existing Usenet
guidelines (see news.announce.newusers for guideline documents). This
group explicitly prohibits the posting of commercial advertisments or
other promotional material, whether or not it is in any way related to
photography. Binary postings (i.e. non text postings) are
prohibited.

rec.photo.equipment.35mm - 35mm cameras and lenses

This group is for the discussion of all aspects of 35mm camera
equipment. This includes 35mm SLR camera bodies and lenses, 35mm
point-and-shoot cameras, 35mm rangefinder cameras, 35mm scale focus
cameras and 35mm half-frame cameras.

All postings made to this group should conform to existing Usenet
guidelines (see news.announce.newusers for guideline documents). This
group explicitly prohibits the posting of commercial advertisments or
other promotional material, whether or not it is in any way related to
photography. Binary postings (i.e. non text postings) are
prohibited.

rec.photo.equipment.misc Other formats, tripods, projectors,
bags etc.

This group is for the discussion of equipment not covered by any other
equipment group. This would include tripods, projectors and screens,
camera bags, lighting equipment, batteries, flash equipment, light
meters, filters. Equipment related to digital photography or home
darkroom use should be posted to either rec.photo.digital or
rec.photo.darkroom respectively, rather than in this group. Postings
about cameras not covered by the other equipments groups (e.g.
subminiature) may be made in this group. Postings about movie cameras
using film (but not video cameras, which are covered in the rec.video
groups) would also be appropriate.

All postings made to this group should conform to existing Usenet
guidelines (see news.announce.newusers for guideline documents). This
group explicitly prohibits the posting of commercial advertisments or
other promotional material, whether or not it is in any way related to
photography. Binary postings (i.e. non text postings) are
prohibited.

rec.photo.equipment.film+labs Film and commercial photofinishing

This group is for the discussion of photographic film of any format
and type. It is anticipated that the discussions will concern the
imaging characteristics of the film and conditions under which each
film type of film will give optimum results. This group is also for
the discussion of *COMMERCIAL* photofinishing services, i.e.
recommendations for and comments on photo labs, It is *NOT* for
advertising by such labs. Postings about film development related to
home darkroom use should be posted to rec.photo.darkroom, not
rec.photo.film+labs.

All postings made to this group should conform to existing Usenet
guidelines (see news.announce.newusers for guideline documents). This
group explicitly prohibits the posting of commercial advertisments or
other promotional material, whether or not it is in any way related to
photography. Binary postings (i.e. non text postings) are
prohibited.

rec.photo.moderated

Rec.photo.moderated is a moderated Usenet newsgroup for the
discussion of topics related to the art and science of photography and
that are of interest to the serious amateur recreational photographer.

MODERATION CRITERIA

Articles must be relevant to the art or science of photography and of
interest to serious amateur recreational photographers, must be in
reasonably good taste, and must conform to Usenet guidelines.
Suitable topics include: the technical aspects of photographic
equipment, technique, optics, film, photographic philosophy, ethics
and
conduct, photography as fine art, and brief reviews of new products
and announcements of events. Other topics may be accepted at the
moderators' discretion, with the main criterion being interest to
serious amateur recreation photographers.

Articles about topics usually associated with commercial/professional
photography may be accepted on a limited basis as long as they are
relevant to serious amateur recreational photographers. Thus, for
example, postings regarding wedding photography may be accepted if
they meet the relevancy test, but articles regarding the business
aspects of wedding photography are not acceptable.

Advertising is prohibited, except that brief notices of events, shows,
workshops, and the like will be considered if they relate to the art
or science of photography and are of interest to serious amateur
recreational photographers.

Postings must bear the submitter's real name and contain a valid reply
address. Authors that are affiliated with or have other financial
interest in manufacturers, distributors, or service providers must
disclose this fact in postings mentioning those products or services.

Picture (binary) postings are not accepted.

The moderators reserve the right to cut off the discussion of a topic
when its "signal to noise ratio" has dropped too low and reject
postings on recently discussed topics. They will also normally reject
postings comparing or seeking comparisons of equipment, "what xxx
should I buy?" and "me too" postings, and postings asking questions
the author could have answered for himself/herself with a minimal
amount of work. Flames will be rejected. Postings may be rejected
because of inappropriate crossposting, and postings to multiple
moderated groups will normally be rejected. (Approved FAQ's, RFD's,
and CFV's are a special case.)
Old April 7th 04, 10:20 AM
Dennis Bradley

There is a forum for Fuji S2 users at
http://www.theswampbbs.com/forums/

Perhaps the answer is there, and if not, then I am sure someone would be
able to answer your question.

I don't have enough experience to advise you, but I normally use a diffuser
on my Nikon flashgun. I also try to avoid the higher ISO settings, which
tend to over expose the highlights.

Regards
Dennis

"Klyment Tan" wrote in message
[...]