Help Identifying 2 Vintage Cameras

Old November 4th 03, 11:05 AM
Greg Lovern

Default Help Identifying 2 Vintage Cameras

I'm hoping someone can help me figure out the makes and models of two
vintage cameras my grandfather gave me over 20 years ago. They were
either lost in a move or stolen by a roommate (I'm not sure which)
about 10 years ago. They probably weren't valuable, but for
sentimental reasons I'd like to try to replace them.

Around 1980, I was a teenager becoming very interested in cameras -- I
bought an Olympus OM-1 with money earned my mowing lawns. My
grandfather, who had owned a camera repair shop before retiring, gave
me two old cameras:

1) I've got the first camera narrowed down to two Kodak models. It
must have been a Kodak Folding Brownie No. 2A or No. 3A, with the
later black bellows. The 3A looks right, but I remember it having a
sliding back, which seems to identify it as a 2A. Did the 3A ever have
a sliding back? From pictures I'm seeing now, it looks like the 3A had
a hinged back.

2) I'm really lost on the second camera:
-- It was much newer than the Kodak Brownie; it seemed to me probably
made in the 1950's or 1960's.
-- It was metal, and silverish, probably chrome. I don't think it was
plastic.
-- It was definately *not* an SLR. It may have been a rangefinder, but
I think more likely it was a fixed focus, and probably a fixed
exposure too.
-- It was pretty small, I think it almost fit in the palm of my hand.
-- It had a sort of rounded look, very unlike the squarish 35mm
rangefinders I've seen.
-- The back was hinged on the right.
-- I don't think it was a 126. My dad had a 126 Instamatic for many
years while I was growing up, and I was very familiar with the format.
I would have immediately recognized if it was a 126.
-- I think it was either a 35mm, or took some kind of roll film about
the same size.
-- The manufacturer was probably out of business, or at least no
longer making cameras, by the late 1970's. I know this because by 1980
I had become very familiar with all the major camera manufacturer
names, but never came across that camera's manufacturer's name
anywhere else.

That's about all I can think of. Any ideas?

If no ideas about what make and model it might have been, any ideas
what film format it might have been? Just knowing that might help me
find it.

Many Thanks,

Greg