Old Nikkor lens

Old October 24th 03, 08:08 PM
Peter K.

Default Old Nikkor lens

I have an old (12 years) "AF Nikkor 35-70mm" lens that came with my Nikon
F801s. I guess it's the standard lens they fitted on that camera when they
were sold.

Now it is almost impossible to turn the zoom ring on the lens. It's all
seized up. Is this a common sort of problem with old lenses? Is it generally
fixable (a "lube" job?) - and how can it be fixed (do it yourself, or a
camera shop)?

Thanks ,
Peter

Old October 24th 03, 08:53 PM
Francis A. Miniter

I have that lens too, on my Nikon 8008 (the American ID for the same
camera). It should not be a common problem. (Mine is fine.) I would
guess it resulted from storage in less than favorable conditions - maybe
high humidity or dampness. Or possibly sand got stuck between the
rings. Home maintenance of lenses is something that should be
undertaken with great care. There is a book - vol. II of Camera
Maintenance and Repair [I think - I have it at home], that is probably a
good investment for anyone wanting to undertake their own repairs. One
thing for absolute certain. DO NOT USE OIL ON A LENS (or shutter). If
at all in doubt about your ability to do the job, have a camera shop
send it out for repair or go directly to a camera-specific repair shop.
In all likelihood, a good cleaning will solve the problem.

Francis A. Miniter

Old October 25th 03, 05:29 PM
Peter K.

"Francis A. Miniter" wrote in message
I have that lens too, on my Nikon 8008 (the American ID for the same
camera). It should not be a common problem. (Mine is fine.) I would
guess it resulted from storage in less than favorable conditions - maybe
high humidity or dampness. Or possibly sand got stuck between the
rings. Home maintenance of lenses is something that should be
undertaken with great care. There is a book - vol. II of Camera
Maintenance and Repair [I think - I have it at home], that is probably a
good investment for anyone wanting to undertake their own repairs. One
thing for absolute certain. DO NOT USE OIL ON A LENS (or shutter). If
at all in doubt about your ability to do the job, have a camera shop
send it out for repair or go directly to a camera-specific repair shop.
In all likelihood, a good cleaning will solve the problem.

Hi,

thanks for your answer. I took my lens apart (but not *completely* down to
the shutter mechanism), cleaned out the grit and sand which had accumulated
over the last decade, and now it works fine! And I even managed to put it
back together with no pieces left over and all the screws in the right
place.

There is some sort of lubricating material in there. Maybe not oil, but some
sort of special grease or something?

Anyway, thanks again,
Peter

Old October 26th 03, 01:04 AM
George

If it is the "shifty" aperture lens, it was only $70 new (the only Nikon
lens I ever bought that I dumped, and quickly). I think the cost of repair
will FAR exceed the value of the lens. If you really like it, pick up
another one. If it is a "loss", you might want to pick up a book on lens
repair and just take the thing apart for the experience so you'll know how
they put the lenses together.

k...

Old October 26th 03, 01:07 AM
George

Good thing you managed to fix it. Lenses typically use various viscosity
"damping" greases.

k...

Old October 26th 03, 08:29 AM
Peter K.

"George" wrote in message
If it is the "shifty" aperture lens, it was only $70 new (the only Nikon
lens I ever bought that I dumped, and quickly). I think the cost of

repair
will FAR exceed the value of the lens. If you really like it, pick up
another one. If it is a "loss", you might want to pick up a book on lens
repair and just take the thing apart for the experience so you'll know how
they put the lenses together.

Hi, thanks for the comments. I have no idea about the lens (or what a
"shifty" aperture lens is). It's just the standard (I guess cheap/basic)
28-70 zoom that was fitted to the camer when I got it over 10 years ago.

I've never had any other lens on the camera. In Denmark (where I live) I
have been told that a replacment lens would cost the equivalent of about
US$600. (Although a Sigma for example would be lot cheaper, say $300 - where
can you get a lens for $70?!).

But as you have seen I did manage to clean it up and get it to work again.
It was indeed interesting to take it apart and see some of the inner
workings.

Peter

Old October 26th 03, 08:36 AM
Peter K.

It's just the standard (I guess cheap/basic) 28-70 zoom

Sorry, it is the 35-70.

Old October 29th 03, 04:51 AM
George

Just following up to clear up my terminology in case it confused anyone.
When I referred to a "shifty" aperture lens, I meant a lens whose aperture
varies with focal length rather than remaining constant. I don't see the
correct terminology used much today, so I avoided using it. More correctly,
a lens that can have its focal length varied continuously but does not
maintain a constant aperture when doing so is a varifocal lens. A true zoom
lens maintains a constant aperture throughout its range of focal lengths.

After reading your previous post, it sounds like your lens is the 28-70mm
f/2.8 true zoom lens, a nice lens that would even be worth paying to have
fixed. But I never heard of it being bundled with a camera body as the lens
was somewhat on the pricey side for a bundle deal.

"Peter K." wrote in message
k...

Old October 29th 03, 09:51 AM
Ronnie Sellar

George wrote:

Just following up to clear up my terminology in case it confused anyone.
When I referred to a "shifty" aperture lens, I meant a lens whose aperture
varies with focal length rather than remaining constant. I don't see the
correct terminology used much today, so I avoided using it. More correctly,
a lens that can have its focal length varied continuously but does not
maintain a constant aperture when doing so is a varifocal lens. A true zoom
lens maintains a constant aperture throughout its range of focal lengths.

Funny, I thought a varifocal lens was one which may not maintain focus
when the focal length was changed where a zoom lens is one where focus
would be maintained. I didn't think that aperture sizes came into the
equation.

RAS
--
Ronnie Sellar Artesyn Communication Products
Tel: +44 131 475 7015 Suite 4, 2 Anderson Place
Old October 31st 03, 05:02 AM
George

You just might be right on this. It has been a looooooong time since I last
even heard the term. I just know that since I do some studio photography
(as a hobby) that non-constant aperture zoom lenses are a PITA.