iFixIt: iPhone SE 2020 Teardown

Old April 28th 20, 06:07 AM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,rec.photo.digital
Arlen Holder[_4_]

Default iFixIt: iPhone SE 2020 Teardown

Dateline today...
"We're pretty thrilled that Apple Frankensteined this phone"
o Apple APL1W85 A13 Bionic SoC layered over Samsung K3UH4H40BM-SGCL (presumably 3 GB LPDDR4X)
o Avago 8100 mid/high band PAMiD
o Intel 9960 P10PSV modem
o Skyworks 78223-17 power amplifier module
o Skyworks 78221-17 low-band PAMiD
o Cypress CPD2 USB power delivery IC
o 338500295 A1TR1952 5G
o Toshiba TSB4226LF23417WNA11948 64 GB flash storage
o Apple APL1092 power management IC
o USI 339S00648 WiFi/Bluetooth SoC
o Broadcom 59358A81UB56 touch controller
o 338S00295 audio IC
o 338S00248 audio IC
o TI9CAK76I SN2501 A1
o Confirmed. No 3D Touch.

Image sensor:
"The SE's image sensor is physically smaller than that in the XR.
It's probably an iPhone 8 sensor benefitting [sic] from A13 image processing."
"Our tests show the iPhone 8 camera works just fine in the SE, and vice versa."

iFixIt: iPhone SE 2020 Teardown
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone+SE+2020+Teardown/133066
"It's been called a parts bin phone, and we hope that's true!
The specs certainly seem to agree."
o CPU straight from the iPhone 11/Pro/Max
o Display straight from the iPhone 8
o Cameras reportedly from the iPhone 8 or the iPhone XR
o Modem from the iPhone 11
o Home button from the iPhone 8
o Taptic engine interchangeable with the iPhone 8
o Main speaker interchangeable with the iPhone 8

Comparisons to other iPhones:
o "The 2016 SE wins in the headphone jack contest by a mile"
o X-rays: "We can't tell a difference" with the iPhone 8 doppleganger
o Same opening procedure with Pentalobes gone.
o The fragile glass back is impractical to replace.

Memorable verbatim quotes:
o "The batteries are the exact same size. What was the sacrifice for?"
o "Apple wants us to forget that 3D Touch ever happened. We remember."
o "Before you get any ideas about adding 3D Touch to your new iPhone SE
though, we tried it, and it doesn't work."
o "The two displays are functionally interchangeable, which is kind of
amazing considering the difference in hardware. The 8 display works
on the SE, and vice versa."
--
The main reason for the A13 is most Apple CPUs are fatally compromised.