Photographer cited, had drone confiscated for documenting Hart Island mass burials with his drone

Old April 17th 20, 07:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

Default Photographer cited, had drone confiscated for documenting Hart Island mass burials with his drone

Here is an article on the matter:
https://www.dpreview.com/news/069755...grapher-cited-
drone-documenting-hart-island-mass-burials-with-his-drone

I bought an inexpensive drone last year, to give a try to drone
photography. Until now I haven't been able to take interesting
shots with it. For a reason or another in most places it's
forbidden to use drones.
--
Alfred Molon

Olympus 4/3 and micro 4/3 cameras forum at
https://groups.io/g/myolympus
https://myolympus.org/ photo sharing site
Old April 17th 20, 10:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 4/17/2020 2:51 PM, Alfred Molon wrote:
Here is an article on the matter:
https://www.dpreview.com/news/069755...grapher-cited-
drone-documenting-hart-island-mass-burials-with-his-drone

I bought an inexpensive drone last year, to give a try to drone
photography. Until now I haven't been able to take interesting
shots with it. For a reason or another in most places it's
forbidden to use drones.
"He was cited for violating NYC Administrative Code § 10–126, which

prohibits the takeoff and landing of drones within New York City (NYC)."

Steinmetz wrote in response:
"‘I’m not trying to be an advocate, but my encounter with the NYPD [on
Tuesday] was not about any safety or privacy considerations that I
assume the law was designed for."

1) Perhaps Steinmetz doesn't realize that this response serves no other
purpose than advocacy (free press, open distribution of information,
etc.). Or he's lying.

2) Laws regarding drones are not arbitrary and open to user definitions.
He violated the law, and lost his drone. Boo Hoo. Ironically, had he
been able to fly his paraglider over the scene to take the shots, he
probably would not have been cited at all, providing that he didn't
violate other airspace restrictions.

I am really tired of folks that think they can do whatever they want
with their drones.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old April 17th 20, 11:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2020-04-17 14:51, Alfred Molon wrote:
Here is an article on the matter:
https://www.dpreview.com/news/069755...grapher-cited-
drone-documenting-hart-island-mass-burials-with-his-drone

Hart Island is a park belonging to NYC and is within the boundaries of NYC.

New York City—Administrative Code § 10-126(c) // 2017

This administrative code makes it unlawful for any person avigating an
aircraft (including drones) to take off or land, except in an emergency,
at any place within the limits of the city other than places of landing
designated by the department of transportation or the port of New York
authority. To avigate is defined in the code as “To pilot, steer,
direct, fly, or manage an aircraft in or through the air, whether
controlled from the ground or otherwise.”

New York City—City Restriction // 2017

This city restriction declares that drones are illegal to fly in New
York City, and advises anyone who sees a drone being flown to call 911.

As it happens I'll be flying both my drones tomorrow... legally.
Old April 17th 20, 11:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2020-04-17 17:04, Neil wrote:
[...]

Most drone laws are over the top arbitrary. Canada is much worse than
the US in that respect. (I'm licensed in Canada and registered in the US).

The photographer only violated the NYC restriction which is largely
(like 99.99%) unenforced as long as operators comply with the FAA rules
(which are subject to interpretation depending on the sort of operation
you're doing...).
Old April 18th 20, 10:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 4/17/2020 6:45 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2020-04-17 17:04, Neil wrote:
[...]

OK, so it's clear which side of the fence you're standing on. ;-D As a
private pilot, I'm standing on the other side of that fence. When I see
drone users violating the laws, I think the punishment is totally
inadequate. As in too far short of a 9mm in their heads. ;-)

--
best regards,

Neil
Old April 18th 20, 06:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2020-04-17 17:04, Neil wrote:
[...]

Then you can see on a chart that Hart island is class E airspace from
the surface to 500 ASL. All that remains then is the NYC rule which is
very outdated and applied arbitrarily as in this case.

As a commercially licensed pilot and flight instructor, I can tell you
for a fact that drone laws in most countries are over the top dumb in
most locales. The USA is actually fairly liberal (for private use)
compared to most countries.

To be fair, a lot (but far from all) drone users are over the top dumb
as well - that doesn't merit what you advocate, however.

Old April 18th 20, 07:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 2020-04-17 17:04, Neil wrote:
[...]

Many laws and rules in this country are outdated and dumb, but they are
still the law and the rules, not subject to arbitrary interpretation by
individuals.

To be clear, I'm an advocate for safety and people not stupidly putting
others' lives at risk. But, what it takes to achieve that with drones is
more than what is being done at this point. A few serious consequences
for the violators instead of their victims just might speed up the process.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old April 18th 20, 07:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2020-04-17 17:04, Neil wrote:
[...]

The city interprets them arbitrarily by not invoking them almost all of
the time and in this case was selective.

To be clear, I'm an advocate for safety and people not stupidly putting
others' lives at risk. But, what it takes to achieve that with drones is
more than what is being done at this point. A few serious consequences
for the violators instead of their victims just might speed up the process.

I don't see how the photographer mentioned put anyone at risk. He may
have offended people the dignity of burial, but that is that.

Old April 18th 20, 09:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 2020-04-17 17:04, Neil wrote:
[...]

It has nothing at all to do with whether Steinmetz put anyone at risk.
Again, in your view a photographer is within their rights to violate
rules based on their opinion about them. In mine, they have no such
rights; it's as simple as that.

And, as I pointed out in my first reply, had he used his paraglider
instead of his drone, there probably would not have been any
consequences (if your charts are current...mine are not).

--
best regards,

Neil
Old April 18th 20, 10:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 17/04/2020 23:42, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2020-04-17 14:51, Alfred Molon wrote:
[...]

And to be fair, New York has more reason than most places to be nervous
about unidentifiable overflights.

Drone cameras RJH Digital Photography 3 October 23rd 19 07:01 PM
Drone Racing Eric Stevens Digital Photography 2 July 1st 17 03:46 AM
Shoot that drone down Alan Browne Digital Photography 115 June 10th 16 09:33 PM
Shoot that drone down newshound Digital Photography 0 May 28th 16 12:40 PM
More drone issues Savageduck[_3_] Digital Photography 7 July 1st 14 05:48 PM