Nikon 70-300 vs Tamron 28-300

Old August 26th 04, 03:33 AM
bayydogg

Default Nikon 70-300 vs Tamron 28-300

I have the Nikon 70-300/4-5.6 ED and it is terrible at 300mm/5.6. So
I'm considering replacing two Nikon zooms for the Tamron XR. I guess
it's now called the Tamron AF28-300mm/3.5-6.3 XR DI LD Aspherical IF
MACRO lens. The magazines (especially PopPhoto) and other testers say
the Tamron's a hit. But I've seen no photo comparisons between the two
lenses. Is there such a comparison somewhere on the internet? Has
anyone done a comparison and, if so, is the Tamron really that great?
Thanks.
Old August 26th 04, 05:43 AM
Skip M

"bayydogg" wrote in message
om...
I have the Nikon 70-300/4-5.6 ED and it is terrible at 300mm/5.6. So
I'm considering replacing two Nikon zooms for the Tamron XR. I guess
it's now called the Tamron AF28-300mm/3.5-6.3 XR DI LD Aspherical IF
MACRO lens. The magazines (especially PopPhoto) and other testers say
the Tamron's a hit. But I've seen no photo comparisons between the two
lenses. Is there such a comparison somewhere on the internet? Has
anyone done a comparison and, if so, is the Tamron really that great?
Thanks.

If you think the Nikon was bad at 300mm, just wait until you see the Tamron
at the same focal length. Don't sell the Nikkor just yet...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old August 26th 04, 08:26 PM
Robert Brace

Anyone who says the Tamron is a hit (for anything except being compact and
light) must truly have his head up his a**.
The build quality alone is such a departure (in the worst way possible) from
the Nikon glass, it will shock you.
I have one in for warranty repairs as we speak, after shooting 36 exposures
while on the F100 once!!!
Don't even consider getting rid of the Nikons for the Tamron!!!!!
Bob

om...

Old August 27th 04, 03:54 AM
bmoag

The serious answer (if you are serious) is that all these long zooms are
pretty awful except used outside on a bright day stopped down with a busy
subject disgusing their low contrast, lack of sharpness, unbelievable
distortion and tendency to flare. I will trade you my Tamron 28-200 for your
Nikon any day, if I can find the damn thing wherever I hid it.

Old August 27th 04, 05:17 AM
William Graham

"bmoag" wrote in message
m...
The serious answer (if you are serious) is that all these long zooms are
pretty awful except used outside on a bright day stopped down with a busy
subject disgusing their low contrast, lack of sharpness, unbelievable
distortion and tendency to flare. I will trade you my Tamron 28-200 for

your
Nikon any day, if I can find the damn thing wherever I hid it.

Yes.....I use my 70-300 Nikkor once a year. At the beach during Oregon's
kite festival. It's f/8 and smaller all day, so even at 300 mm it's sharp
enough for me.....