Equipment/Camera Advice for Taking Photo's from Top View

Old December 23rd 03, 09:25 PM
deepak

Default Equipment/Camera Advice for Taking Photo's from Top View

Hello I have big size area rugs (5x7 to 9x12 feet etc). I want to take
top view photo's of them. Please suggest equipment & cameras:

A tripod etc that I can have a digital camera hoisted on in the top
view position. And be able to view/focus to take photo remotely from
below.

Thanks
Old December 24th 03, 05:24 PM
deepak

Hi Phil, yes, have tried hanging on wall it as well but not good
results. The reason top view is better is that Sun light falls
vertically. Plus using hangers to hang on the wall hides part of the
rug & shadow issue.
Thanks,

Phil Stripling wrote in message ...
(deepak) writes:

Hello I have big size area rugs (5x7 to 9x12 feet etc). I want to take
top view photo's of them. Please suggest equipment & cameras:

Consider hanging them from a wall and taking a photo.

Old December 25th 03, 05:06 AM
zeitgeist

Hello I have big size area rugs (5x7 to 9x12 feet etc). I want to take
top view photo's of them. Please suggest equipment & cameras:

A tripod etc that I can have a digital camera hoisted on in the top
view position. And be able to view/focus to take photo remotely from
below.

Is this a one time thing, or are you a dealer and need to shoot a dozen or
more a day/week?

for a one time thing, just get up on a ladder I'd actually do it at an
angle, so one corner is closer, it would be more compositional and look
more, ? active? If you are a stickler for proportion you could correct any
perspective or keystoning in photoshop.

If this is a periodic thing, get one of those painters ladders that have
bends in the middle so it stretches out like a scaffold. I don't know if
they make them 12 feet in length, you might want to get two ladders and a
scaffold, this is more than just a board, its has a metal frame to give
serious stiffness.

If you do this daily, run a business as a rug dealer/wholesaler, see if you
can go the crawl space, cut a hold in the ceiling and shoot straight down.
If there is no crawlspace or someone's floor up there, nail a board to the
ceiling, mount a tripod head and hang a camera, there are many cameras with
remote shutter triggering. mark lines on the floor so you can lay a carpet
out square and you won't have to worry about centering, or focus after the
first time.