Copyright questions - what do you do now

Old February 13th 06, 06:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Copyright questions - what do you do now

Hi

Having recently moved into the digital world, I was wondering what you guys
do about copyright. In the film world, you can hold onto the negatives and
thus secure your rights as a photographer.

With digital, this is not an option. So, what do you do?

a) imprint the clients copy of the images with a watermark
b) just give the client a hardcopy as you would do with film
c) give the client the image with a written statement of copyright

or what?

Am I right in thinking that embedding copyright info within the image is not
really practical as some tools can remove this?

cheers

Allan

Old February 13th 06, 07:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

When it comes to digital, you never give the client a high quality CD of the
photos. Give them a low resolution CD so that they can not get an image any
larger than say a 4x6. This way if they want enlargements they have to come
back to you. Also you may want to place a copyright symbol and your name
across the proofs as they are proofs not prints. You could even go as far as
posting the proofs on a web page for the client to view and order from. This
way you can have the option to disallow saving or printing of the
photograph, if you know how, or have someone set it up for you. Another
option is a contact sheet of the photos rather than a full size print that
they can copy. There are many ways of keeping copyrighted images from being
printed without your authorization.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .
Allan wrote:
Hi

Having recently moved into the digital world, I was wondering what
you guys do about copyright. In the film world, you can hold onto the
negatives and thus secure your rights as a photographer.

That did not work 40 years ago and does not really work today. If
someone wants a copy, they just get a copy made. Few places really check.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old February 13th 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

How does one disallow saving of an image from a Web browser? I assume
this removes the "save image as" option upon right click?

Old February 13th 06, 08:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

It is done through the setup of the site I believe. It disables the "save
as" and posts "this button is not allowed" or "copyright image" or whatever
you choose. As for how to do it I don't know but someone that knows how to
use, I believe it is called html, should be able to tell you.

oups.com...

Old February 13th 06, 08:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

BrianW wrote:
How does one disallow saving of an image from a Web browser? I assume
this removes the "save image as" option upon right click?

You can't. At least not yet. Microsoft's "trusted computing"
initiative may make eventually it impractical for most people to do. It
is a locked down hardware/software platform that attempts to establish a
leak-proof pipe all the way from the producer to the consumer's eyes and
ears. It will also require legislative backing to criminalize the
possession of rogue noncompliant computing devices. (Along the lines of
black market cable boxes and cards).
Old February 13th 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"newfysnapshot" wrote in message
It is done through the setup of the site I believe. It disables the "save
as" and posts "this button is not allowed" or "copyright image" or
whatever you choose. As for how to do it I don't know but someone that
knows how to use, I believe it is called html, should be able to tell you.

"BrianW" wrote in message
oups.com...
How does one disallow saving of an image from a Web browser? I assume
this removes the "save image as" option upon right click?

Loads of ways round this unfortunately.

Old February 13th 06, 09:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Allan wrote:
Hi

Having recently moved into the digital world, I was wondering what you guys
do about copyright. In the film world, you can hold onto the negatives and
thus secure your rights as a photographer.

With digital, this is not an option. So, what do you do?

a) imprint the clients copy of the images with a watermark
b) just give the client a hardcopy as you would do with film
c) give the client the image with a written statement of copyright

or what?

Am I right in thinking that embedding copyright info within the image is not
really practical as some tools can remove this?

One option is to charge more up front and get paid for the photography
and not the prints.

Other then that is there really a difference between digital and film?
With film you give them prints and if they want more you make them, you
can do this same thing in digital. Nothing says you have to give them
the digital files.

I would say however that if you want to have the copyrights to the
photos it would be best to have a signed contract stating this. The
problem is that without a signed contract you will be working under a
verbal contract and there is no guarantee who would end up with the
copy rights.

Scott

Old February 13th 06, 10:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"BrianW" writes:

How does one disallow saving of an image from a Web browser? I assume
this removes the "save image as" option upon right click?

One does not.

One can do some things that cause a minor delay as people spend 5
minutes googling for how to get around it. Meanwhile, they interfere
with the way people are used to using their browser, and hence annoy
people who had no intention of ripping you off. So -- no significant
interference with people who *do* intend to rip you off, and
significant annoyance to those who don't. Does that strike you as
good business practice?

The ideal theory is to find a pricing structure that doesn't depend on
holding the prints to ransom for outrageous prices.
Old February 13th 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

I was looking at some photographers sites and a lot of them are now handing
over the copyright in the form of the client's photos on CD's and DVD's and
stating the client can make as many copies as they like without having to
return to the photographer.

I guess the copyright is not as important as it used to be. In a way, this
makes sense as it is now very easy for people to produce their own prints
and DVD slideshows. And besides, who paid for the photo in the first place.

Quantity and repeat business is more important than trying to make money
from reprints.

Allan

. ..

Old February 13th 06, 11:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Allan" writes:

I was looking at some photographers sites and a lot of them are now handing
over the copyright in the form of the client's photos on CD's and DVD's and
stating the client can make as many copies as they like without having to
return to the photographer.

I guess the copyright is not as important as it used to be. In a way, this
makes sense as it is now very easy for people to produce their own prints
and DVD slideshows. And besides, who paid for the photo in the first place.

It was almost unheard of for anybody to go back to a wedding or
portrait photographer after the initial print orders were done and ask
for more. In fact lots of people who did try that were annoyed to
discover that the photographer was out of business or had thrown out
the negatives (this last being particularly common if they went back
after 5 years or so).

Quantity and repeat business is more important than trying to make money
from reprints.

Yes.