Five dollar macro

Old September 20th 09, 07:16 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Michael Benveniste[_2_]

Default Five dollar macro

On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 14:10:10 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

Let's see those Tamron 90, Canon 100 and Nikon 105 micro shots...

(Note: the $5 was not the crispest example...)

I don't have a $5 bill handy. If I give you a $3 and a $2.5, can you
make change?

Using a 105mm f/2.8 VR Nikkor:
http://picasaweb.google.com/mike.ben...13094851353026

Using a 90mm f/2.5 Tokina:
http://picasaweb.google.com/mike.ben...31745761755154
(A bit of an optical illusion on this one).

I'm tempted to take a shot of a $5 bill with a 4x5" camera and a 120mm
f/5.6 AM-Nikkor, but I'm not sure how the lab would react. Besides,
that's a lot of work for a boring subject.

--
Mike Benveniste -- (Clarification Required)
Don't succumb to the false authority of a tool or model. There
Old September 20th 09, 07:20 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

wrote:

Let's see those Tamron 90, Canon 100 and Nikon 105 micro shots...

(Note: the $5 was not the crispest example...)

I don't have a $5 bill handy. If I give you a $3 and a $2.5, can you
make change?

Using a 105mm f/2.8 VR Nikkor:
http://picasaweb.google.com/mike.ben...13094851353026

Using a 90mm f/2.5 Tokina:
http://picasaweb.google.com/mike.ben...31745761755154
(A bit of an optical illusion on this one).

I'm tempted to take a shot of a $5 bill with a 4x5" camera and a 120mm
f/5.6 AM-Nikkor, but I'm not sure how the lab would react.

Put an object across the bill first to make it unreproducible and it
shouldn't cause any Secret Service visits... maybe.

Besides,
that's a lot of work for a boring subject.

I'll say. I haven't shot a roll of 120 in 2009 yet. Here comes the
fall however.
Old September 20th 09, 07:25 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

wrote:

Let's see those Tamron 90, Canon 100 and Nikon 105 micro shots...

(Note: the $5 was not the crispest example...)

I don't have a $5 bill handy. If I give you a $3 and a $2.5, can you
make change?

Using a 105mm f/2.8 VR Nikkor:
http://picasaweb.google.com/mike.ben...13094851353026

For comparison, best we all use the same target...

Old September 20th 09, 07:35 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Alan Browne wrote:
Max Perl wrote:

I was inspired by this thread and made my own test images (using my
old D2x).
I had no 5 dollar so used another note. Lenses was used on camera
using extenders.
Old enlarger lenses can give quite good results. Differences in the
two crops may be a slight difference in focus.
I did not reverse the Componon-S as it has almost a symetrical design.
I also tried with a EL-Nikkor 50/2.8 but got a little better results
with the Componon. This may also be caused by a slight difference in
focus. Results was very good with the EL-Nikkor also. I had a lot of
fun doing this test......

Yes I got great results with an 80mm f/5.6 El-Nikkor. It was not as good
reversed. Details in the recent 'Perfect Macro Technique' thread. I
could only get up to about 1.7:1 magnification without adding more
extension tubes to the bellows. The Spiratone 35mm f/3.5 bellows lens
took me to 5:1 magnification although not pixel-sharp. Supposedly that
is actually an enlarger lens.

Hard to compare

Take a photo of a mm scale/ruler and calculate the magnification against
the sensor size.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old September 20th 09, 08:12 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Max Perl

"Paul Furman" skrev i en meddelelse
Alan Browne wrote:
Max Perl wrote:

[...]

The approx. size of my image (the full frame....not the cropped) is about 10
x 15mm and I use a DX sensor (16 x 24mm).
So more than 1:1. For those 5:1, 10:1 etc magnification......it requires a
lot of pre-work....to get a stable setup etc.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old September 20th 09, 10:24 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 12:54:04 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 14:10:10 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

Not as detailed as Bret's 5x macro's or even Paul's bellows macros, but
not too shabby. Just a bit shy of 1:1 (I don't have a focusing rail, alas).

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=9791873&size=lg

Let's see those Tamron 90, Canon 100 and Nikon 105 micro shots...

(Note: the $5 was not the crispest example...)

I presume that $5 bill is made of paper. Here in New Zealand they are
printed on a plastic film with no texture. Otherwise I could give you
a Nikon 105 shot.

Cotton, actually. Can't find a US 5$ bill?

Not in this part of the world.

Eric Stevens

Old September 21st 09, 02:33 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Michael Benveniste[_2_]

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 14:20:11 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

I'll say. I haven't shot a roll of 120 in 2009 yet. Here comes the
fall however.

This was off of the last roll of 120 I shot. Unfortunately, the film
was apparently a bit old and color shift had set in, but that worked
to my advantage for this:

http://wemightneedthat.biz/carrToken.jpg

The Pentax 645n and 120mm f/4 make a fine macro combination _if_ your
support gear is up to the task. My copystand, alas, is not, so I have
to mount it "underneath" my tripod with all clumsiness inherent in
such a setup.

--
Mike Benveniste -- (Clarification Required)
Its name is Public opinion. It is held in reverence. It settles

Old September 21st 09, 10:12 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

wrote:

I'll say. I haven't shot a roll of 120 in 2009 yet. Here comes the
fall however.

This was off of the last roll of 120 I shot. Unfortunately, the film
was apparently a bit old and color shift had set in, but that worked
to my advantage for this:

http://wemightneedthat.biz/carrToken.jpg

The Pentax 645n and 120mm f/4 make a fine macro combination _if_ your
support gear is up to the task. My copystand, alas, is not, so I have
to mount it "underneath" my tripod with all clumsiness inherent in
such a setup.

Weird colours indeed. Cool coin, though.
Old September 23rd 09, 01:26 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Michael Benveniste[_2_]

Alan Browne wrote:

For comparison, best we all use the same target...

I was afraid you'd feel that way. That's why I didn't get the $3
gold coin out of the vault.

So here's a 100% crop done with a Nikkor 105mm VR, a Nikon 6T close-up
lens, and lit with the R1 Close-up Speedlight system (2 x SB-R200):

http://picasaweb.google.com/mike.ben...42824513878610

This shows more than a trace of CA/fringing, but I'm not about to edit
it out just to make my gear look better.