Some photogs are Applesheep

Old October 10th 20, 07:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Some photogs are Applesheep

In article , Alfred
Molon wrote:

The problem wearing an Apple watch (or any other health
monitoring device 24/7) is that the thing collects very personal
data about you and your health and you can never be sure about
what happens to this data. If you are unlucky, your data gets
into the wrong hands.

apple makes a point of keeping that data locally on the watch and
paired phone.

it's *your* choice to send the data somewhere.
Old October 10th 20, 07:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Oct 10, 2020, Alfred Molon wrote
(in om):

In article
.com,
says...

On Oct 10, 2020, Alfred Molon wrote
(in . com):

In ,
says...
None of them permits me access to
Apple Pay and my Amex card, my Visa card, my Goldman Sacks Apple MC Card, my
bank debit/Visa card, or my Apple Cash card.

None of them receives or sends text messages, or phone calls, a quick access
to GPS and location, weather, and so much more.

Can't you just use the phone for all that?

Sure I can, but I can also leave the house unburdened by the phone, and still have most of the function, or if I have the phone with me, I don?t have to dig it out of a pocket. It is just another convenience.

Hmmm... I never leave home without the phone.

Anyway, does the watch have a direct connection to the mobile
network?

Yes. Note the Watch specs and you will find that among the standard features are GPS+Cellular, but the cellular will not work without the addition of a provider plan. This started with the Series 4, the Series 3 (which you can still buy)does not have the Cellular feature.

If not, when you leave the phone at home, you lose all
connectivity while outside.

My Watch shares my Verizon mobile plan ($10/month) with a unique number, but calls to my iPhone number are forwarded to the watch. I have left my iPhone at home, and have taken & initiated calls while shopping. I have left my phone in my car and done the same. Having its independent cellular capability is how it can make those out going emergency calls with fall detection, or with other incapacitation, no iPhone needed.

I have Messages on the Watch set up via the Watch settings on my phone with a bunch of scripted responses that I can scroll to, or I can use the dictation feature to respond.

Savageduck

Old October 10th 20, 08:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Oct 10, 2020, Alfred Molon wrote
(in . com):

In ,
says...

On 10/10/20 12:24 PM, nospam wrote:
In , Ken Hart
wrote:

I bought a Watch 4 for my SO.? I wasn't sure if she'd take to it as
she's not into the joy of gadgetry.? But within a few days she was using
more and more functions (esp. timers for cooking and other things),
exercise (running, yoga, others) and even occasional use of Siri.
Quickly taking notes on it is another useful thing (or checking notes
she created on her mac or phone).

Yes, these can be done on her phone, but she doesn't carry that around
at home or at work.? Leaves the phone in her purse usually.

2 years in, she makes sure it's charged for the next day's use.

I personally haven't carried around a watch in over 2 decades.? My
phones (even the "dumb" cell phones) provided time.

I'm tempted to get an Apple Watch - but don't like the idea of having
anything on my wrist all of the time.

I also don't like to wear a watch (or any jewelry for that matter).
There's a computer in every room of my house with the time displayed at
the bottom right. There's a thermostat (not a 'smart' one) in the living
room with the time. And the dashboard clock in my truck gets set twice a
year (time change) and remains reasonably accurate.

smar****ches do a *lot* more than just tell time, including saving
people's lives and even the potential for early detection of covid-19.

But I don't like to wear a watch, "smart" or otherwise. I find them
uncomfortable. How does the smar****ch get around that?

The problem wearing an Apple watch (or any other health
monitoring device 24/7) is that the thing collects very personal
data about you and your health and you can never be sure about
what happens to this data. If you are unlucky, your data gets
into the wrong hands.

You are perhaps a tad too paranoid. Don’t worry, the body snatchers are going to get you one way or another.

Savageduck

Old October 10th 20, 08:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Oct 10, 2020, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In . com, Alfred
Molon wrote:

The problem wearing an Apple watch (or any other health
monitoring device 24/7) is that the thing collects very personal
data about you and your health and you can never be sure about
what happens to this data. If you are unlucky, your data gets
into the wrong hands.

apple makes a point of keeping that data locally on the watch and
paired phone.

it's *your* choice to send the data somewhere.

Yup.

Savageduck

Old October 10th 20, 08:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

Anyway, does the watch have a direct connection to the mobile
network?

Yes. Note the Watch specs and you will find that among the standard features
are GPS+Cellular, but the cellular will not work without the addition of a
provider plan. This started with the Series 4, the Series 3 (which you can
still buy)does not have the Cellular feature.

the series 3 was the first to offer cellular.

in the current lineup, apple only offers the wifi version of the series
3 because it's targeted to the entry level customer who doesn't want
nor need cellular.

there are still series 3 cellular models available from other than
apple and certainly on the used market.
Old October 10th 20, 08:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Oct 10, 2020, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In om, Alfred Molon
wrote:

Anyway, does the watch have a direct connection to the mobile
network?

the cellular models do.

Yup! and for me carrier service with Verizon costs me $10/month.

If not, when you leave the phone at home, you lose all
connectivity while outside.

nope. they also have wifi.

There have been times I have left my phone at home and had voice& text cellular service with my watch when shopping 15 miles from home, or when I have left my phone in the car in the parking lot. The service was totally transparent. I have taken calls doing the “Dick Tracy” wrist phone thing, and I have taken calls with my watch using AirPods.

Savageduck

Old October 11th 20, 12:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 16:17:47 -0700 (PDT), RichA

On 2020-10-09 02:55, RichA wrote:
Guys tells how his Apple 5 watch experienced problems, so he goes and gets a 6. Gluttons for punishment or what?

Please tell us what the photography connection is or check this box:

[ ] Standard Rich Ranting Against Apple.

His problems are easily fixed following correct procedure rather than
poking in the dark and blaming the watch.

My SO's Watch 4 also balked at the update and it took a few tries. And
then, horror of horrors, a few settings did need to be reset.

--
"...there are many humorous things in this world; among them the white
man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages."

kid's toy:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...tch_5_gps.html

Real watch:
https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/watc...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Realer watch:
https://www.breitling.com/nz-en/watc...6/AB0127211B1/

Eric Stevens
Old October 11th 20, 01:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
geoff

On 11/10/2020 5:24 am, nospam wrote:
In article , geoff
wrote:

No one really needs a watch to tell time - we all carry
phones around.

Far easier to glance at one's wrist (any type of watch) than fish one's
phone out to check.

not always. sometimes it's easier to look at a phone than push back a
jacket sleeve to uncover a watch, no fishing required.

Only if you are are millenial and/or carry your phone in your hand every
waking minute.

nope. it's much easier to take a phone out of a handwarmer pocket than
push back a sleeve, especially in colder weather when there may also be
gloves involved.

Don't know where you live or what you wear. But not in my world even
slightly, even ,for instance, with my full ski gear on.

geoff
Old October 11th 20, 03:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , geoff
wrote:

No one really needs a watch to tell time - we all carry
phones around.

Far easier to glance at one's wrist (any type of watch) than fish one's
phone out to check.

not always. sometimes it's easier to look at a phone than push back a
jacket sleeve to uncover a watch, no fishing required.

Only if you are are millenial and/or carry your phone in your hand every
waking minute.

nope. it's much easier to take a phone out of a handwarmer pocket than
push back a sleeve, especially in colder weather when there may also be
gloves involved.

Don't know where you live or what you wear. But not in my world even
slightly, even ,for instance, with my full ski gear on.

nobody said anything about full ski gear.
Old October 11th 20, 03:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

wrote:

** No one really needs a watch to tell time - we all carry
phones around.

Far easier to glance at one's wrist (any type of watch) than fish
one's
phone out to check.

not always. sometimes it's easier to look at a phone than push back a
jacket sleeve to uncover a watch, no fishing required.

Only if you are are millenial and/or carry your phone in your hand every
waking minute.

nope. it's much easier to take a phone out of a handwarmer pocket than
push back a sleeve, especially in colder weather when there may also be
gloves involved.

Don't know where you live or what you wear. But not in my world even
slightly, even ,for instance, with my full ski gear on.

My ski jacket has a phone pocket accessible from the outside but keeping
the phone inside and warm. To be sure I do have to take off one glove
to get at it.