Helmut Newton Has Died

Old January 28th 04, 01:42 AM
Paolo Pizzi

Default Helmut Newton Has Died

William Graham wrote:

Hey! - I liked his work, and I am a conservative....A libertarian,
in fact. I just don't think that it's the governments business to
fund art. - Or sports either, for that matter. These things belong to
the people who like and want them, and those are the ones who should
fund them. I expect my government to concern themselves with other,
more important things, like national defense.....

I hope you realize there wouldn't have been a renaissance without
kings, queens and popes sponsoring the arts. Why should today
be any different?

Old January 28th 04, 01:45 AM
generic eric

wow. an mcp. he passed two tests and puts the logo on a web site created
with a mac.

"Mark M" wrote in message
newstGQb.49353$Xq2.44049@fed1read07...

"davidb" wrote in message
om...
Randall Ainsworth wrote in message

. ..
And the loss to society is????

have the rest of you seen this crap?

http://users.techline.com/rag/

to quote randall the great "The ability to see things differently than
others and to capture these images to share with others."

Wow!
What a load of pompus crap.
I love the part where he tells us we can read about his other computers in
the music section...(like we really want to hear more!)

Old January 28th 04, 05:11 AM
Randall Ainsworth

wow. an mcp. he passed two tests and puts the logo on a web site created
with a mac.

That's right...I saw the light a few years ago. I have other
certifications too, just haven't updated the site. How about you, big
mouth?
Old January 28th 04, 05:28 AM
Mark M

"Randall Ainsworth" wrote in message
wow. an mcp. he passed two tests and puts the logo on a web site

created
with a mac.

That's right...I saw the light a few years ago. I have other
certifications too, just haven't updated the site. How about you, big
mouth?

OK, Randall...
....You're clearly getting more flack here than this one post deserves...

Everybody still snaps shots of waterfalls and pretty sunsets.
Heck...I wished I'd had my camera the other day as the sun went down (we
don't get too many unusual sunsets here in San Diego--with rarely any real
weather to speak of...though we do have the Pacific).

I do think you web-site makes you look a bit like a guy who doesn't realize
that polyester suits are unbecoming though. I'm sure you're a stand up
guy...but perhaps just a bit unaware of how you come across in the written
word. As for me, I'm quite sure I'm coming across as a butt-head.
Sorry about that.

But hey... At least I REALIZE I sound like a butt-head!

Old January 28th 04, 05:53 AM
David Nebenzahl

Default Oh, no we're back on the "art or not art" thing again

On 1/26/2004 8:32 PM diGoliardi spake thus:

In article , David Nebenzahl
wrote:

On 1/26/2004 5:24 PM Colyn spake thus:

Photography has long been considered an art form..

Not by me, certainly, and not by a certain minority, even here.

Just because it has entered the popular pantheon of Things Which Must Be True,
just because Reader's Digest and Popular Photography and your art/photography
teacher in high school think so, just because the great unwashed masses think
it so doesn't make it so.

Now just a moment, Mr. Nebenzahl. This particular turn of the perennial
argument is suddenly novel now that we have Randal Ainsworth. I would say
that his work is definitely, certainly, positively, ART! ART I say! No
doubt about it! He has arrived! The Messiah of Photographic ART! He did
say it was a god-given gift. He's got a direct line! Who can argue with
clout like that?

Now who else wants to be considered an Art Photographer?

Nobody, I take it, now that you've sullied and besmirched the term.

Great post, by the way. Involuntary chuckling sounds heard.

--
Focus: A very overrated feature.

- From Marcy Merrill's lexicon at Junk Store Cameras
(http://merrillphoto.com/JunkStoreCameras.htm)

Old January 28th 04, 05:56 AM
David Nebenzahl

On 1/27/2004 8:04 AM Jean-David Beyer spake thus:

Michael Scarpitti wrote:
David Nebenzahl wrote in message ...

On 1/26/2004 5:24 PM Colyn spake thus:

(Michael Scarpitti) wrote:

Photography is not 'art'.

Photography has long been considered an art form..

Not by me, certainly, and not by a certain minority, even here.

Just because it has entered the popular pantheon of Things Which Must Be True,
just because Reader's Digest and Popular Photography and your art/photography
teacher in high school think so, just because the great unwashed masses think
it so doesn't make it so.

But I recognize this is a completely losing battle, so I'm not fighting it
anymore. I just do not accept photography as art. I accept photography as
photograhy; sui generis, to use the 75-cent term. Why not just accept it on
its own terms?

Photography is NOT 'art', never was, never will be.

I did not know we still had 78 r.p.m. "shellac" records that were cracked.

Why the scare quotes? Some of them really were made from shellac, you know.

Now I have to tend to me gramaphone, which is skipping again:

"Number nine ... Number nine ...Number nine ... Number nine ... Number nine
Number nine ... Number nine ... Number nine ... Number nine ... Number nine
Number nine ... "

I really must get that fixed someday.

Old January 28th 04, 06:41 AM
Paolo Pizzi

TenKMan wrote:

You're right. It would take a lot of imagination, creative
thought, and perhaps hallucinagens such that voting
Democrat would make sense.

No, just a little education, tolerance, intellectual curiosity,
an open mind for diversity and availability to listen to others,
no matter their race or nationality.

All things you and Bush clearly lack.

Old January 28th 04, 07:39 AM
David Nebenzahl

Default ...to speak ill of the dead is cowardly.

On 1/26/2004 9:39 PM Randall Ainsworth spake thus:

... and thanks god for Ashcroft, who finally threw a tarp
on Lady Justice!!!!!! How "perverted" was that? ;-)

But did you see that rack on 'er?

Oh, so you're *that* kind of "Christian": not really so Bible-thumpin'
sex-negatin' censorious, as you led us to believe, but just another
red-blooded misogynist.

You know, reading your stuff reminds me of someone else whose grave I'd just
love to **** on: Jesse Helms.

--
It's stupid, moronic and too fcuking obvious, as obvious as counting your
fingers, so TELL ME SOMETHING I DON'T KNOW or just shut the fcuk up.

- "jjs" in extremis on rec.photo.darkroom

Old January 28th 04, 08:13 AM
Mark M

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
On 1/26/2004 9:39 PM Randall Ainsworth spake thus:

... and thanks god for Ashcroft, who finally threw a tarp
on Lady Justice!!!!!! How "perverted" was that? ;-)

But did you see that rack on 'er?

Oh, so you're *that* kind of "Christian": not really so Bible-thumpin'
sex-negatin' censorious, as you led us to believe, but just another
red-blooded misogynist.

You know, reading your stuff reminds me of someone else whose grave I'd

just
love to **** on: Jesse Helms.

--
It's stupid, moronic and too fcuking obvious, as obvious as counting your
fingers, so TELL ME SOMETHING I DON'T KNOW or just shut the fcuk up.

PLONK.
Bye bye, Davey.

Old January 28th 04, 01:12 PM
Dennis O'Connor

She mixed it right up in the sink, eh....

denny - who dates from shellac records...

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in Number nine ...