Trip to Russia. Which lens to take?

Old February 22nd 06, 06:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Trip to Russia. Which lens to take?

Hi all!
The point here is not to buy a new lens. After paying for that trip, I
won't have much left. The question is whether to take both of my
lenses.
My Rebel XT lens is the Canon EF-S 17-85mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
The other lens I bought 6 months ago is the Canon EF 70-300mm 1: 4-5.6
IS USM.
We will be visiting mostly churches, museums, monasteries and places
like the Red Square, etc.
Is it worthwhile to bring my 70-30mm?
Thanks,
Marcel

Old February 22nd 06, 06:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 10:24:44 -0800, Celcius wrote:

Hi all!
The point here is not to buy a new lens. After paying for that trip, I
won't have much left. The question is whether to take both of my
lenses.
My Rebel XT lens is the Canon EF-S 17-85mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
The other lens I bought 6 months ago is the Canon EF 70-300mm 1: 4-5.6
IS USM.
We will be visiting mostly churches, museums, monasteries and places
like the Red Square, etc.
Is it worthwhile to bring my 70-30mm?
Thanks,
Marcel

Take BOTH.
--
Neil
Delete l to reply
Old February 22nd 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Celcius" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all!
The point here is not to buy a new lens. After paying for that trip, I
won't have much left. The question is whether to take both of my
lenses.
My Rebel XT lens is the Canon EF-S 17-85mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
The other lens I bought 6 months ago is the Canon EF 70-300mm 1: 4-5.6
IS USM.
We will be visiting mostly churches, museums, monasteries and places
like the Red Square, etc.
Is it worthwhile to bring my 70-30mm?
Thanks,
Marcel

take out INSURANCE.........

Old February 22nd 06, 06:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

If possible take both, but if you're short on space and can take
only one I'd say gor for the shorter one.

Eric

Old February 22nd 06, 07:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

I have traveled in Russia twice, to Chelyabinsk, Moscow, St Petersburg.
Most of my pictures were of large portions of interiors such as
Hermitage, Winter and Summer Palaces. I didn't spend much time taking
pictures of art from closer up, though that isn't my interest, either.
Therefore, I'd suggest taking the shorter lens. And, if you are
interested in art, the shorter lens will work, too. I didn't find much
occasion to use a longer lens, even at the large grounds of the Summer
Palace outside St Petersburg.

The architecture inside/outside is quite fantastic in Moscow and St
Petersburg attractions, so be prepared to bring back lots of photos!
Also understand that many places will ask you to buy a "license" for
your camera, if you wish to take pictures inside. I never had to buy a
license to take an outdoor picture. Also, if you are a westerner, you
will likely have to pay a much higher fee for many entrances than would
a Russian.

Old February 22nd 06, 07:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

LOL!

"T42" wrote in message

take out INSURANCE.........

Old February 22nd 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On 22 Feb 2006 10:24:44 -0800, "Celcius"
wrote:

Hi all!
The point here is not to buy a new lens. After paying for that trip, I
won't have much left. The question is whether to take both of my
lenses.
My Rebel XT lens is the Canon EF-S 17-85mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
The other lens I bought 6 months ago is the Canon EF 70-300mm 1: 4-5.6
IS USM.
We will be visiting mostly churches, museums, monasteries and places
like the Red Square, etc.
Is it worthwhile to bring my 70-30mm?
Thanks,
Marcel

Personally, I would take both. 85mm just isn't long enough for me. I
have an EF 28-135 IS which would be pretty good for me, I think.
If I had the lenses you have, and the trip you're taking, I'd take
both. The 17-85 will work very well indoors, where you need the wide
end, but the long end of that lens won't do justice to outdoor shots;
you'll want something longer for things you can't get that close to.
Have fun! Take pictures!

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
Old February 22nd 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 18:41:07 +0000 (UTC), "T42"
wrote:

"Celcius" wrote in message
roups.com...
Hi all!
The point here is not to buy a new lens. After paying for that trip, I
won't have much left. The question is whether to take both of my
lenses.
My Rebel XT lens is the Canon EF-S 17-85mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
The other lens I bought 6 months ago is the Canon EF 70-300mm 1: 4-5.6
IS USM.
We will be visiting mostly churches, museums, monasteries and places
like the Red Square, etc.
Is it worthwhile to bring my 70-30mm?
Thanks,
Marcel

take out INSURANCE.........

An excelent suggesstion!! When I was going to cardiac rehab following
by pass surgery one of the other fellows had had a severe heart attack
while traveling in Russia. His travel insurance paid in full for a
helicopter ride and a plane ride to Finland or Sweden I forget which
plus all the related hosptilazation. When in a foreign country you
are expected to pay your bill before leaving the hospital.

When we went to Alaska last summer you can be sure that we had travel
insurance.

Errol Groff

http://neme-s.org/Alaska/Alaska_Page_1.htm to see pictures of our
Alaska trip.

Old February 22nd 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

I too have traveled twice to Russia. Combined time was 4 1/2 months. One
thing no one else has mentioned is that for indoor shots, the lighting is
very poor. Most buildings I visited had little or even no lighting. Granted,
it's slightly different in Moscow or St Petersburg. As far as outside shots,
everything is massive, so I would take a wider angle lens. I chose to keep
it simple and took an adequate quality 28-300 zoom lens, to keep my
equipment list minimal. If you are taking more exacting shots, by all means
take better, more specific-ranged lens(es).
Enjoy the trip, Russia still haunts me. I really must get back there.
In addition, some of the churches I visited had a strict "no photos" policy.
Be prepared to be disappointed once or twice. I also found that Russians on
the street generally do not want their photos taken. Get to know them and
they are much more cooperative.. downright friendly! If I remember the
phrase correctly to ask permission to take a Russian person's photo, it is
something like...
Mohzna vas fotografirivat?
Old February 22nd 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Thanks for your good advice, including taking insurance. ;-)
By the way, if anyone is interested, go to:
http://www.iconsexplained.com/iec/03..._icon_tour.htm

It's a 3 week tour. Reasonable priced.
Of course, one has to love art and icons.
My wife is an iconograph, so it's a natural for both of us.
I'm looking forward to this trip and hope to take photos to remember
the trip by.

Take care and thanks again.

Marcel

Nikon Lens rlking Digital SLR Cameras 4 November 3rd 05 09:51 AM
Nikon D70 Telephoto Zoom Lens Recommendation Clyde Torres Digital Photography 44 April 9th 05 05:13 PM
FS: Schneider Large-Format Lens TRADE!!! Bill Gillooly General Equipment For Sale 2 February 20th 05 06:43 AM
Digital vs Film - just give in! [email protected] Medium Format Photography Equipment 159 November 15th 04 04:56 PM
FS: Nikon F4, Nikkor Lens and accessories. FocaIPoint 35mm Equipment for Sale 0 August 24th 03 07:23 PM