Product photography

Old November 19th 04, 01:52 AM

Default Product photography

Please advise on product photography. I list electronic test equipment
on my website. I have a 7 mega pixel camera. I just tried using a
white-white background for my pictures but after much effort I finally
realized that a very-white background is not the best solution. I wish
to use Photoshop to eliminate the background behind the equipment so
each item appears to float. Exactly like is done in many product
catalogs. I know this is very common but there must be a trick or
technique I'm not aware of. Of course I'd like the best quality,
professional pictures possible but I do understand that people spend
many years to become proficient in photography. So, I am realistic in
my expectations. But, I know I can get getter pictures than I have
currently.

First, is there and good online info on using a digital camera for
product photograph (product advertising)?

Second, what background would be best. Do I need a green-screen?
Obviously, a white-white background is not the answer. Plus the
white-ness seems to compete with the darker colors, especially black,
and the camera doesn't seem to process the scene correctly.
Old November 19th 04, 04:51 AM
Gene Palmiter

White should work fine...and especially so if you are putting the items on a
white page as the masking will be easier. I have a green screen...but it
often leaves a green cast on the edges of the items. This may change as I
am getting a third strobe. The best move I have made is to get a shooting
tent. It softens the light and eliminates reflections...though I still have
to take the camera off silver items. My shooting tent...a cloth box
really...came with a black sweep and a white sweep. One or the other has
served well so far. The only reason I might want to change is if I will have
to put the items on a colored page and masking might be difficult. If
metering is a problem you might want to get a Kodak Grey Card. These are the
18% grey that your camera's meter is looking for. By metering off it you are
measuring the light...not the scene. Set your camera in Manual mode for
repeatable exposures. Shoot RAW for more control.

I use strobes for consistent light. But if you don't I would set a white
balance. Even when shooting RAW its better to get it right. Don't even think
about using the on-camera flash...but an added flash might be interesting if
you bounce it.

m...

Old November 19th 04, 09:10 AM
zeitgeist

[...]

the old fashioned way to do this was to use a 'product' table which was a
frame that held two sheets of plexi that curved up at the back end, way up,
and curved down in the front. you could raise the top layer from an inch to
six or so, and put a sheet of paper under and literally float your item and
even get a real drop shadow or no shadow at all.

some of the issues you maybe having is that you are using some AUTO
functions, a camera sensor will assume a medium gray, the ultimate 'all
things equal' and so when the sensor sees a view of white it will give you
an exposure that will render a medium gray. A dark or black object
surrounded by white, as well as a bright object surrounded by black just
confuse the hell out off sensors.

you might want to try to use manual exposure, just do a test where you shoot
each f/stop or even 1/2 stop, once you get your expo selected you can shoot
at that from then on.

search ebay for EZcube and buy one, they are cheap for what you get. that
will smooth out the lighting and if you put the light source at the same
place you should get reasonably close exposure each time.

put your item on a small box and see if that helps, even if it shows you can
erase it in photoshop.

Old November 19th 04, 07:36 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

Please advise on product photography. I list electronic test equipment
on my website. I have a 7 mega pixel camera. I just tried using a
white-white background for my pictures but after much effort I finally
realized that a very-white background is not the best solution.

To add to what has already been posted --

To drop out the background, Google sez:

http://www.owens-originals.com/Resou...cromatips.html

Search for 'blue screen' 'blue mask' 'green screen' ... the info is
out there, problem is finding the right search words: sometimes
you can only find the answer if you know the answer.

You can build a product lighting tent/box with some cheap fabric and
a couple lengths of 1x2". Cardboard and a can of white spray paint
will make all the light reflectors you will need.

I prefer using hot lights over flash. You don't need much light
so 100W/60W household bulbs work great. And you can see what you
are doing when positioning the lights.

Use a telephoto lens and shoot from far away, this will give you better
background coverage (er, you need less background, it can be farther
away from the product ...).

If you are not using a blue/green mask because you can't keep it far
enough away then use a neutral darkish grey background -- no color
cast and it won't mess up with the camera's meter.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Remove spaces etc. to reply: n o lindan at net com dot com

Old November 21st 04, 04:21 AM
Uranium Committee

wrote in message om...

Please advise on product photography.

Dear chaep *******/moron:

Hire a pro!
Old November 21st 04, 04:21 AM
Uranium Committee

Old November 22nd 04, 08:59 PM
RSD99

There are several tutorials "on the web" that might help you.

Go to the "Web Photo School" and look through their offerings
http://www.webphotoschool.com/Lesson_Library/index.html

The free lessons ... several of which are based on product photography
scenarios ... are at
http://www.webphotoschool.com/Lesson...ons/index.html

For small object photography .... items such as Jewelry ... see Ganoskin's
site at
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/dire...rary/subject/9

O'Reilly has an interesting site on 'Professional Product Shots Made Easy'
at
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/orei...01/product_sho
ts.html

Adorama has a site that describes the use of Tent Lighting (something every
product photographer really should know) at
http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=article_080403

This is just a small sampling of the sites that are available. You can find
many more using your 'Friendly Local Search Engine.'

You also asked:
"...
Second, what background would be best.
...."

A properly lit white "sweep" usually works quite well. However, I often use
something like a graduated paper

Superior Specialties
http://www.superspec.com/
Graduated Seamless paper backgrounds are at
http://www.superspec.com/cat2001/pages/gradindex.html

Or Savage Paper, who is one of the largest suppliers and is stocked by many
of the on-line photography sites (such as B&H, Adorama, Calumet, etcetera),
or
http://www.savagepaper.com/widetone.htm

m...