No more Velvia

Old March 4th 05, 03:04 PM
Carlos

Owamanga wrote:

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 07:07:28 +0200, Roxy d'Urban wrote:

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 14:11:34 +0000, Owamanga wrote:

Elementary school science.

If you wish to define it at elementary level, yes, you are right.

It's a scientific reality regardless of what level it's taught at.

No, that's the thing about science - it's like measuring a coastline.
The harder you look, the more detailed it gets.

It is the principle of the concept of Fractals. Did you know that?
Mandelbrot was an geodesic engineer working in an IBM lab. He was making
a math model to draw the Netherlands coastline and...
.... He discover the Fractals!

Here's a little story I made up to illustrate this:

Two Martians look towards Earth and one, an elementary kid, asks his
father "What color is Earth?".

Very nice story, I liked. And it is good example of how is the
educational system and how it works.

Owamanga!

--

Carlos A. B. Coutinho
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Old March 4th 05, 04:09 PM
Owamanga

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 12:04:22 -0300, Carlos wrote:

Owamanga wrote:

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 07:07:28 +0200, Roxy d'Urban wrote:

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 14:11:34 +0000, Owamanga wrote:

Elementary school science.

If you wish to define it at elementary level, yes, you are right.

It's a scientific reality regardless of what level it's taught at.

No, that's the thing about science - it's like measuring a coastline.
The harder you look, the more detailed it gets.

It is the principle of the concept of Fractals. Did you know that?
Mandelbrot was an geodesic engineer working in an IBM lab. He was making
a math model to draw the Netherlands coastline and...
... He discover the Fractals!

It just goes to show that we will always discover/invent new things
because some discoveries can't be demonstrated unless they stand on
the shoulders of prior possibly unrelated discoveries/inventions.

Da Vinci *could* have developed fractal mathematics, but until you
have a computer that can draw them, nobody is going to take any
notice. As a written equation, they are fairly boring (to my eyes
anyway - non mathematician), but once rendered they are truly
stunning.

--
Owamanga!

Old March 5th 05, 12:35 AM
Sander Vesik

Bandicoot wrote:

In the Corning Glass Museum there used to be a couple of glass springs, I
particularly remember a torsion spring that you could set 'bouncing' via a
lever or some such. These had a lot of elasticity - it was a long time ago
that I was there though, so I can't remember what they had done to the
formula and / or annealing of the glass to allow it to behave that way.

There is *at least* as much leaway in what gets called glass as what is solid
vs liquid ;-)

Peter

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++
Old March 5th 05, 01:57 AM
Sander Vesik

Owamanga wrote:

Da Vinci *could* have developed fractal mathematics, but until you
have a computer that can draw them, nobody is going to take any
notice. As a written equation, they are fairly boring (to my eyes
anyway - non mathematician), but once rendered they are truly
stunning.

No, he couldn't have. Because you more or less need beginning of
20th century math for that.

--
Owamanga!

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++
Old March 5th 05, 07:46 AM
Roxy d'Urban

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 13:50:52 +0000, Owamanga wrote:

snip

The 'kid' is an old man now. One day his grandson walks up to him and
asks "Grandpa, What color is Earth?". The old man grabs a hand-full of
soil, studies it for a few seconds and says "It's Red my boy, and
don't let anyone tell you any different."

I'm hoping you don't believe in Martians too.

Space is indeed not a vacuum, but your reasoning is incorrect. Space
can't be a vacuum simply because we exist in it. Because of that, it's
*not* nothingness either.

Space is the void between objects. It is nothingness. Space can also be
defined as the gap between atomic particles. Maybe our universe is just an
atomic microcosm of a far greater universe.

No, bliss is a Leica...

Just be prepared, you'll have to change that to Nikon when Leica fold.

:-)

Already there...already there...

--
?
Old March 5th 05, 05:08 PM
Bandicoot

"Roxy d'Urban" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 13:45:29 +0000, Bandicoot wrote:

Same as water. When it is frozen it is no longer a liquid, it is
a...solid.

Ah, but water crystallises when it freezes - that's the difference
that this discussion is all about.

Are crystals solid or liquid?

LOL!

Peter

(I am just yanking your chain, you know...)

Likewise. :-)
--
?

Old March 5th 05, 05:10 PM
Bandicoot

"Carlos" wrote in message
Bandicoot wrote:

[SNIP]

Hummmm....... Are you engineer (mechanical, metallurgic)?

No - I just have more curiosity, and read more, than is good for me!

Peter

Old March 5th 05, 05:13 PM
Bandicoot

"Roxy d'Urban" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 14:11:34 +0000, Owamanga wrote:

Elementary school science.

If you wish to define it at elementary level, yes, you are right.

It's a scientific reality regardless of what level it's taught at.

Also, electricity doesn't exist because you can't see it.

No. I can see electricity pretty clearly when it arcs across the sky in
the form of lightning. I can also see it when it is used to weld metal.

Nah, that's plasma you're seeing...

[SNIP]

Simplicity is bliss.

No, bliss is a Leica...

Like he said, simplicity...

;-)

Peter

Velvia indoors? Celeste G Film & Labs 11 December 14th 04 01:05 PM
Focal plane vs. leaf shutters in MF SLRs KM Medium Format Photography Equipment 724 December 7th 04 09:58 AM
Velvia 100F dan Film & Labs 2 June 29th 04 09:47 PM
velvia 100F [question] dan 35mm Photo Equipment 6 June 28th 04 03:46 AM
5 Megapixels vs Velvia vs Kodachrome + Microscope Views Roger and Cathy Musgrove Film & Labs 0 October 12th 03 02:16 AM