velvia 100F [question]

Old June 27th 04, 07:41 PM
dan

Default velvia 100F [question]

Does anyone use Velvia 100F with a different ISO setting than the one given
by the producer ? Some people use Sensia 100 with a 125 ISO setting claiming
it is the proper one as the curve shows; similarily some use 125 or even 160
ISO setting for Provia 100 F.
I just wanted to ask if someone has any experience of this sort with Velvia
100F. I'm using Nikon F80, haven't used velvia 100f before, going on
holidays, don't want to spoil my pictures.

thanks for suggestions

Old June 27th 04, 08:01 PM
Alan Browne

dan wrote:

Does anyone use Velvia 100F with a different ISO setting than the one given
by the producer ? Some people use Sensia 100 with a 125 ISO setting claiming
it is the proper one as the curve shows; similarily some use 125 or even 160
ISO setting for Provia 100 F.
I just wanted to ask if someone has any experience of this sort with Velvia
100F. I'm using Nikon F80, haven't used velvia 100f before, going on
holidays, don't want to spoil my pictures.

That last sentence begs that you bring a film you know intimately.

I shoot Sensia as rated. And have shot Velvia 100F as rated (but
only two rolls to date so take that for what it's worth). At 100
I found it to be very nice, not as rich as the classic Velvia.

Given its (V100F) saturation (a little less than Velvia classic),
I wouldn't re-rate it, but if I did, it would be to 80, not 125.
YMMV.

On Sensia 100, I know a lot of Sensia/Astia shooters (in "real
life" as well as the web) and I don't recall any rating it at
125. I do think Sensia is sometimes a bit thin, but whenever I
decide to bracket under by 1/3 the shots appear dead in the shaddows.

Cheers,
Alan.

--
--e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--

Old June 27th 04, 10:01 PM
Tony Spadaro

If you go on holiday without testing your film for ISO first there is a
pretty good chance you will have plenty of badly exposed slides to toss out.
Test your film in YOUR camera -- there is no other way to allow for
1 - The way your camers meters
2 - The way you meter
3 - The batch of film
4 - What you consider to be the right look

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

Old June 28th 04, 01:00 AM
Bandicoot

"dan" wrote in message
Does anyone use Velvia 100F with a different ISO setting than the one

given
by the producer ? Some people use Sensia 100 with a 125 ISO setting

claiming
it is the proper one as the curve shows; similarily some use 125 or even

160
ISO setting for Provia 100 F.
I just wanted to ask if someone has any experience of this sort with

Velvia
100F. I'm using Nikon F80, haven't used velvia 100f before, going on
holidays, don't want to spoil my pictures.

thanks for suggestions

I've used V100F a lot since it came out. At first I took brackets 1/3 above
and below my chosen exposure till I got used to the film: quite quickly I
decided I liked it at 100 best. This is based on careful metering wiht a
spot-meter, but I find 100 best on the odd occasion where I use in-camera
matrix with this film as well.

I find 100F is easier to meter for than V50 - maybe it's just me, but I find
it easier to predict: maybe it has a very slight amount more tonal range.

Peter

Old June 28th 04, 02:03 AM
Michael Scarpitti

"dan" wrote in message ...
, going on
holidays, don't want to spoil my pictures.

Then use Kodachrome 64, rated at about 80.

thanks for suggestions

Old June 28th 04, 03:46 AM
Sander Vesik

dan wrote:
Does anyone use Velvia 100F with a different ISO setting than the one given
by the producer ? Some people use Sensia 100 with a 125 ISO setting claiming
it is the proper one as the curve shows; similarily some use 125 or even 160
ISO setting for Provia 100 F.
I just wanted to ask if someone has any experience of this sort with Velvia
100F. I'm using Nikon F80, haven't used velvia 100f before, going on
holidays, don't want to spoil my pictures.

Rating it at ISO 100F won't spoil your pictures, unless the sensor in
your camera is way off (which you would know if you have shot slide film
before). If you really wantto be sure, simply auto-bracket teh important
shots by 0.5 f-stop and one of the three is basicly guaranteed to be
really good even with a off-balance sensor.

Fuji slide films usualy tolerate between one stop over to half stop
underexposure reasonably gracefully. This covers (assuming a spot-on
sensor) its use as iso 150 - iso 50 film.

Basicly, stop worrying.

thanks for suggestions

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++

Velvia 100F dan Film & Labs 2 June 29th 04 09:47 PM
Online store Velvia 100 (non F) AirSL Film & Labs 2 April 14th 04 03:03 PM
Velvia 100F: Reciprocity Failure Tomoko Yamamoto Film & Labs 5 November 12th 03 02:16 AM
Velvia 100F Impressions Bowser- Film & Labs 3 October 22nd 03 07:29 PM
5 Megapixels vs Velvia vs Kodachrome + Microscope Views Roger and Cathy Musgrove Film & Labs 0 October 12th 03 02:16 AM