Is a 1/1.8" (7.18 x 5.32 mm) sensor sufficient for 10mp and 12mp?

Old February 11th 07, 10:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Just D

Default Newsgroup quotes, message styles, etc.

"Alfred Molon"
Agree. Often messages are not trimmed, so you have to scroll down all
the way, so top posting is better. But some people are very religious
about this issue.

That's why I often prefer to answer at the top of the message. The years
that I spent on Fidonet (almost from the very beginning of this network
which is already old) made me do that because it's physically impossible to
review hundreds or even thousands of messages through the night scrolling
them down each time when you open a new one. So we had a simple official
rule to add the answer to the top of the message and trim the worthless
parts to avoid overgrowing of the messages. I like this rule and I actually
spent so many years following it that I even can't imagine another one as
more appropriate. Another one significant rule - don't overquote!

The downside of all that are the people who started their network activity
from public usenet newsgroups only and they have no idea about the roots and
advantages of these simple rules and what's that to read a few thousand
messages in one night and even get some information from them These
people usually argue against those who do that, in my mind, in more correct
way by adding their answers to the top and deleting the overquoting. Usually
2-3 lines from the previous message is more than enough to remind the people
what's all that about. Also I'd never write a message completely repeating
the previous post with my comment in one single word like "Agreed". It would
force a few thousands or real people to read this worthless message without
any new info that they can learn from it.

Logically all that is harder because in real life we add our comments after
quotes, it's also hard to delete the secondary part from the previous
posting, especially for lazy people, but why all others should not be lazy
to real/scroll all these quotes down? My own experience shows that it's
probably hard, but that's a network rule and it's hard only in the very
beginning, but then after some experience the things become obvious.

As for me I can follow any rules absolutely easy now because I used to see
many people, mostly newbie, barking at others because they are doing the
right things.

Just D.

Old February 12th 07, 02:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

"Just D" wrote:
"Alfred Molon"
Agree. Often messages are not trimmed, so you have to scroll down all
the way, so top posting is better. But some people are very religious
about this issue.

That does *not* make top posting better. It makes excessive quoting
a pain.

That's why I often prefer to answer at the top of the message. The years
that I spent on Fidonet (almost from the very beginning of this network
which is already old) made me do that because it's physically impossible to
review hundreds or even thousands of messages through the night scrolling
them down each time when you open a new one. So we had a simple official
rule to add the answer to the top of the message and trim the worthless
parts to avoid overgrowing of the messages. I like this rule and I actually
spent so many years following it that I even can't imagine another one as
more appropriate. Another one significant rule - don't overquote!

Fidonet was restricted in many ways, and message editing
facilities was just one example.

The downside of all that are the people who started their network activity
from public usenet newsgroups only and they have no idea about the roots and
advantages of these simple rules and what's that to read a few thousand
messages in one night and even get some information from them These
people usually argue against those who do that, in my mind, in more correct
way by adding their answers to the top and deleting the overquoting. Usually

A. It has an illogical structure.
Q. What's wrong with your method?

Actually the reason people argue against your system is because
they have enough experience to know which methods work best, and
are not really concerned about a user's existing habits.

Usenet was not restricted in the way Fidonet was. That was, in
general, a manifestation of the origins. A group of exceedingly
bright fellows, with a broad range of backgrounds, came up with
the basics for Usenet, while Fidonet was the work of a single,
very aggressive, individual (who's expertise was making due with
an IBM PC, not text formatting). The extra smarts, not to
mention the added technical facilities, is fairly obvious in the
design... and one of the clearest examples is the default
message formatting style.

Fidonet users basically had the functionality of a very crude
line editor. Usenet users had the functionality of either an
extremely well developed line editor or a fairly crude screen
editor.

2-3 lines from the previous message is more than enough to remind the people
what's all that about.

That is not only not true, that is not the purpose of quoting
text from previous messages. It is not intended to be a
reminder, nor to be something general in regard to what it was
all about. Quoted text show *exactly* what a comment refers to.
For example, this paragraph is not referencing any other part of
your article, and without the above two lines of quoted text
would simply not make sense. I've placed this paragraph
directly beneath those two lines to totally disambiguate my
comments.

Also I'd never write a message completely repeating
the previous post with my comment in one single word like "Agreed". It would
force a few thousands or real people to read this worthless message without
any new info that they can learn from it.

Agreed. :-)

Logically all that is harder because in real life we add our comments after
quotes,

I fail to see how writing ambiguous commentary is easier than
writing to specifics unique to the quoted text. (Assuming of
course that the object is to inform a *reader*... and I would
agree with you if the object is to generate therapeutic noise to
benefit the writer.)

it's also hard to delete the secondary part from the previous
posting, especially for lazy people, but why all others should not be lazy
to real/scroll all these quotes down? My own experience shows that it's
probably hard, but that's a network rule and it's hard only in the very
beginning, but then after some experience the things become obvious.

When using decent viewing software, and a good text editor to
generate messages, none of that is difficult.

Regardless, why people want to post articles that are more
difficult to read and understand, is an interesting study in
psychology. Not trimming, placing comments out of context,
using odd quote marks, failing to use blank lines between
paragraphs, long lines, and many other habits that in general
are adaptions to the use of a specific editor to make _writing_
easy, are illogical! The point should be to generate and
article that is easier to read and understand, and that might
mean use of an editor that is highly configured specifically for
Usenet article generation.

As for me I can follow any rules absolutely easy now because I used to see
many people, mostly newbie, barking at others because they are doing the
right things.

Pay more attention to folks that have been using Usenet since
the early years. There are benefits that might not be
obvious... one being that early on most Usenet writers had more
education than the average person, and specifically were more
aware of the development of "communications skills". Usenet,
unlike the vast majority of other computer conversational
networks, was actually well thought out and implemented with the
idea of *communications*.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old February 12th 07, 03:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul D. Sullivan

Default Is a 1/1.8" (7.18 x 5.32 mm) sensor sufficient for 10mp and 12mp?

Well, one thing we don't need is the "Top Post Crusades..."

lol

Old February 12th 07, 03:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul D. Sullivan

Let's not make this a "class system" thing, shall we?

It's a preference thing.

Old February 12th 07, 03:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul D. Sullivan

Indeed. lol...

That does *not* make top posting better. It makes excessive
quoting a pain.

Thus proving his point about some people being very religious
about top posting.

Old February 12th 07, 03:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

"Paul D. Sullivan" wrote:
Let's not make this a "class system" thing, shall we?

It's a preference thing.

It's a perception thing. Those who are able to perceive the
significance of doing it the right way, do. Others don't.

Old February 12th 07, 03:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

"Paul D. Sullivan" wrote:
Indeed. lol...

That does *not* make top posting better. It makes excessive
quoting a pain.

Thus proving his point about some people being very religious
about top posting.

Another religion based response, virtually lacking any logical
discussion...

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old February 12th 07, 05:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Rubin

THO writes:
Unless its a nested reply, most people don't even bother reading the
quoted text when they are following a thread since they've already read
the text in a previous message. I follow the convention now but bottom
posting wastes my time.

You're supposed to chop out the parts that don't need to be read.