Is a 1/1.8" (7.18 x 5.32 mm) sensor sufficient for 10mp and 12mp?

Old February 11th 07, 11:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul D. Sullivan

Default Is a 1/1.8" (7.18 x 5.32 mm) sensor sufficient for 10mp and 12mp?

Is a 1/1.8" (7.18 x 5.32 mm) sensor sufficient for 10mp and 12mp
of data?

Or would a larger sensor be preferrable, such as a 2/3" or even
4/3"?

Thanks

Old February 11th 07, 12:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor

Paul D. Sullivan wrote:
Is a 1/1.8" (7.18 x 5.32 mm) sensor sufficient for 10mp and 12mp
of data?

Or would a larger sensor be preferrable, such as a 2/3" or even
4/3"?

Thanks

What ISO do you want to use?

David

Old February 11th 07, 12:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor

Paul D. Sullivan wrote:
Paul D. Sullivan wrote:
Is a 1/1.8" (7.18 x 5.32 mm) sensor sufficient for 10mp and
12mp of data?

Or would a larger sensor be preferrable, such as a 2/3" or
even 4/3"?

Thanks

What ISO do you want to use?

David

[top-posting corrected]

80-400 probably

80 - perhaps OK
400 - noise limited

David

Old February 11th 07, 01:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 10:55:19 GMT, Paul D. Sullivan wrote:

Is a 1/1.8" (7.18 x 5.32 mm) sensor sufficient for 10mp and 12mp
of data?

Or would a larger sensor be preferrable, such as a 2/3" or even
4/3"?

You've asked this question before, but worded a bit differently.
I thought that you understood the many answering replies, but . . .

The answer is that it depends. On the photographer. On the
photographer's expectations. On the year. On the types of pictures
you'll take. On all sorts of things, and for some photographers,
not only will a 1/1.8" sensor forever be insufficient, some only
accept FF sensors, deeming even APS-C sensors deficient due to their
"insanely small pixels". Many others think that 1/1.8" sensors are
more than sufficient for their needs, even with their large numbers
of small pixels. The answers you get can only represent
individual's preferences, and while it's unfortunate, you really
have to form your own preferences by examination and testing, either
of your own images or those taken by other photographers. If your
preferences are formed by agreeing with someone that makes a good
case for why *that individual* likes a particular type of sensor,
you'll never have the satisfaction of discovering for yourself what
works for *you*. Some find it simpler to be followers, becoming
disciples of a photographic guru. And if that guru suddenly decides
that not only are 4/3" sensors too small, now even APS-C sensors are
as well, followers will follow to the Full Frame Promised Land, even
if they've never made a single print any larger than 8" x 10" and
have no desire to ever do so.

If you can't afford to buy and try many cameras, you could easily
download images produced by those 1/1.8", 2/3" and 4/3" sensors, and
determine for yourself if they're lacking in the resolution that you
want, or are too noisy at high ISOs for your purposes. I think
that this has been suggested before. The answers that you're
seeking will come from people whose tastes differ. That doesn't
mean that some are right and that the others are wrong. What I'm
trying to say is that at some point you need to end the asking and
do your own tasting.

Old February 11th 07, 01:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul D. Sullivan

I prefer top posting for quick replies so people do not have to
scroll all the way down.

thanks for the reply.

Old February 11th 07, 01:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul D. Sullivan

I was asked to be more specific, so I chose a specific sensor
size and two specific resolutions.

Old February 11th 07, 01:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 12:06:06 GMT, Paul D. Sullivan wrote:

You've asked this question before, but worded a bit
differently. I thought that you understood the many
answering replies, but . . .

I was asked to be more specific, so I chose a specific sensor
size and two specific resolutions.

But my reply was to your OP, the first one in this thread. It had
nothing to do with David's reply that asked about the ISO you want
to use. Or was the more specific question one that was posed in
another thread? If so, you might have have included some "in
context" quotes.

It appears that you missed the "big picture" of my last reply, one
that might have had you see that introspection would be more
beneficial than asking more specific questions. But that's what
works for me, and evidently doesn't or won't for you. As I hinted,
implied, suggested . . . I think that previous replies contained
enough information to answer to your new, specific questions,
assuming that you'd spend enough time digesting them.

Old February 11th 07, 01:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor

Paul D. Sullivan wrote:
I prefer top posting for quick replies so people do not have to
scroll all the way down.

thanks for the reply.

On my screen, both your comment and my replies fitted without scrolling.
I do agree that we see far too many posts where the dross in not
sufficiently trimmed. I prefer to keep the text in top-to-bottom order of
writing, as used in most Western books, newspapers, magazines etc. for the
last several centuries.

I'm glad you found my answer useful.

David

Old February 11th 07, 02:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul D. Sullivan

I keep hearing from students and folks with laptops that since
they only have 800 vertical pixels, they get annoyed scrolling
down. Hard to please everyone, it seems.

Anyway, thanks.