January photo blahs?

Old January 23rd 04, 02:26 PM
Argon3

Default January photo blahs?

It's been slow in this newsgroup lately...is everyone holed up in the house
waiting out the winter weather and working in the darkroom? Personally, I
can't get into my darkroom because it's down in the basement and not
heated...I'd be chipping the ice layer off the developer to pop a print in.

argon
Old January 23rd 04, 02:50 PM
Leonard Evens

Argon3 wrote:
It's been slow in this newsgroup lately...is everyone holed up in the house
waiting out the winter weather and working in the darkroom? Personally, I
can't get into my darkroom because it's down in the basement and not
heated...I'd be chipping the ice layer off the developer to pop a print in.

You might get an electric heater. They are not very expensive and work
pretty well. They are also well designed these days with safety in mind.

argon

Old January 23rd 04, 02:57 PM
Jeremy

"Argon3" wrote in message
It's been slow in this newsgroup lately...is everyone holed up in the

house
waiting out the winter weather and working in the darkroom? Personally, I
can't get into my darkroom because it's down in the basement and not
heated...I'd be chipping the ice layer off the developer to pop a print

in.

argon

It must be near-impossible to work with a bellows in sub-zero weather. I
had a devil of a time trying to change a lens on my tripod-mounted 35mm
camera a couple of weeks ago--the cold was so intense that I couldn't get my
fingers to move!

Does the cold weather crack bellows?

Old January 23rd 04, 03:03 PM
Art Reitsch

Well, one photo-like thing to do in the winter is to go over all your
contact prints and look for "sleepers". I've found three or four that I
thought might make good prints -- negs I had passed over on the first
try. I have a usable darkroom in the winter and came up with three good
16x20s from the effort. I also studied a book by Tim Rudman, Master
Printing Course, during a several day trip away from home and decided to
try two-neg prints. I found some good foreground shots, negs that would
never stand alone, and others with some great clouds. As Rudman says,
it takes a lot of paper and a good-sized waste basket, but I learned
something about how to do that and came up with three new prints.
Now for spring .....
Art

Old January 24th 04, 12:17 AM
BCampbell

Cold weather is probably part of the problem, I know it's been really cold
here in Florida, getting down to the low 60s at night. It gets up to 75 or
so during the day, still a little on the chilly side but bearable if you
bundle up in a long sleeved shirt. Then we have this damn sunshine all day
every day so if you want to do any landscape photography you have to get up
early and brave the cold or stay out in the late evening, more cold, to get
decent light. It's really tough, can't wait for winter to be over.