There are more expensiv hobies that photography

Old August 29th 14, 09:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default There are more expensiv hobies that photography

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...SC7150_DxO.jpg

Eric Stevens
Old August 29th 14, 10:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Eric Stevens wrote:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...SC7150_DxO.jpg

Not for chepooos! ;-)
--
teleportation kills
http://tinyurl.com/androidphotography
Old August 29th 14, 10:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke[_2_]

In article , says...

In article ,
Eric Stevens wrote:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...SC7150_DxO.jpg

Not for chepooos! ;-)

People say that the "good old days" existed only in our imaginations,
but the fact is that there was a time when a middle-class wage earner
could afford to own, maintain, and fly one of those. One of my
professors had one that he had bought after WWII--he sold it in the '70s
when he could no longer afford gas for it.

Old August 29th 14, 10:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
"J. Clarke" wrote:

In article , says...

In article ,
Eric Stevens wrote:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...SC7150_DxO.jpg

Not for chepooos! ;-)

People say that the "good old days" existed only in our imaginations,
but the fact is that there was a time when a middle-class wage earner
could afford to own, maintain, and fly one of those. One of my
professors had one that he had bought after WWII--he sold it in the '70s
when he could no longer afford gas for it.

True. Kind of sad. But you can't blame people for having an interest in
getting paid properly for a commodity (crude) so limited in quantity. Me
thinks...
Old August 29th 14, 04:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-08-29 08:03:56 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...SC7150_DxO.jpg

Nice P-51!

Savageduck

Old August 29th 14, 04:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-08-29 09:32:32 +0000, "J. Clarke" said:

In article , says...

In article ,
Eric Stevens wrote:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...SC7150_DxO.jpg

Not for chepooos! ;-)

People say that the "good old days" existed only in our imaginations,
but the fact is that there was a time when a middle-class wage earner
could afford to own, maintain, and fly one of those. One of my
professors had one that he had bought after WWII--he sold it in the '70s
when he could no longer afford gas for it.

When my father got back after the war in 1945 they were given the
opportunity to buy P-38's & P-51's for the cost of the fuel to fly them
away, about $1,200 1945 dollars. That included several crates of
maintenance parts.
He stayed in the the service until 1947 and still regrets not making
that buy. Instead he bought a Nash. Then in 1947 he and another AAF
buddy (a 9 kill ace & my godfather) bought a surplus C-47 to fly air
freight which they did until 1950 when they sold the C-47.

Savageduck

Old August 29th 14, 10:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 29 Aug 2014 08:35:15 -0700, Savageduck

On 2014-08-29 08:03:56 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...SC7150_DxO.jpg

Nice P-51!

I'm surprised: you of all people!

That's not a P51 Mustang. That's a 3/4 scale Thunder Mustang!

Note the engine, it's not a RR Merlin, it's a Falconer V12 racing
engine, the design of which is based on the small-block Chevrolet V8.
See http://www.thundermustang.com/
http://www.thundermustang.com/gallery-two/ for photographs (not the
plane in my shot) and
http://www.bluethunderairracing.com/...pecifications/ for
comparisons with the real thing.

Eric Stevens
Old August 29th 14, 11:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-08-29 08:03:56 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...SC7150_DxO.jpg

Nice P-51!

I'm surprised: you of all people!

That's not a P51 Mustang. That's a 3/4 scale Thunder Mustang!

Note the engine, it's not a RR Merlin, it's a Falconer V12 racing
engine, the design of which is based on the small-block Chevrolet V8.
See http://www.thundermustang.com/
http://www.thundermustang.com/gallery-two/ for photographs (not the
plane in my shot) and
http://www.bluethunderairracing.com/...pecifications/ for
comparisons with the real thing.

So? I was 3/4 right, and it is a 3/4 nice P-51. ;-)

Scale is tough to judge when unassembled and without a good old average
size human in the shot.

Savageduck

Old August 29th 14, 11:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 2014-08-29 08:03:56 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...SC7150_DxO.jpg

Nice P-51!

I'm surprised: you of all people!

That's not a P51 Mustang. That's a 3/4 scale Thunder Mustang!

Note the engine, it's not a RR Merlin, it's a Falconer V12 racing
engine, the design of which is based on the small-block Chevrolet V8.
See http://www.thundermustang.com/
http://www.thundermustang.com/gallery-two/ for photographs (not the
plane in my shot) and
http://www.bluethunderairracing.com/...pecifications/ for
comparisons with the real thing.

So? I was 3/4 right, and it is a 3/4 nice P-51. ;-)

Scale is tough to judge when unassembled and without a good old average
size human in the shot.

I have one of those but I don't know that you will find it very
helpful https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...SC7153_DxO.jpg

The workshop is dreadfully cluttered. When you look around you can see
that it is filled with bits and pieces waiting restoration and fitting
to the Mosquito wing and fuselage presently sitting in the next
hangar. That will be Mosquito #2. They want to get #2 out of the next
hangar so that they can start work on #3! From the casual
conversation, #2 has to be out of this hangar in about two years.

Eric Stevens
Old August 30th 14, 01:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

Savageduck wrote:
When my father got back after the war in 1945 they were given the
opportunity to buy P-38's & P-51's for the cost of the fuel to fly them
away, about $1,200 1945 dollars. That included several crates of
maintenance parts.
He stayed in the the service until 1947 and still regrets not making
that buy. Instead he bought a Nash. Then in 1947 he and another AAF
buddy (a 9 kill ace & my godfather) bought a surplus C-47 to fly air
freight which they did until 1950 when they sold the C-47.

When the war ended in the Pacific in 1945, one of my colleagues was in
the Navy serving on an aircraft carrier. He told me that orders came
through to dump many of the airplanes into the ocean, to avoid the
expense of bringing them back to the USA.

Mort Linder